Labadee excursion question

jgiczewski

Okay, DH and I don't want to spend a lot on excursions, esp up front because we don't want to be held to anything.

we are definitely going to do the zipline on Labadee, but with regards to paying $15 in advance a piece on floating mats, is this necessary? i mean, can we just bring $30 to shore with us and if the mood strikes, rent them on the spot?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

You say $15 but when we got them just last week there they were $20 so maybe you get a $5 discount by reserving them ahead of time? I didn't reserve ahead because we wanted to walk around and stuff first and see if we even wanted the mats, we went and got them once we were sure we wanted them and when we were ready to use them. Many people did as the above poster said and just dragged chairs down into the water. I liked floating on the mat, but many people just floated in the water without a mat. If you get a discount for reserving and you KNOW you'll want/use it then I'd suggest reserving it, then when you get there plunk yourselves and your stuff down in an area on the ship side/gentle side of the penninsula where you can use the mat. The water on the other side of the penninsula is too rough for the mat, is good for walking, finding shells, body surfing and watching the zip line. After you are done all that and have walked around and explored, then head back to the other side with the calm beaches, on the way you will probably pass the small building where you get the mat...get your mat, head back to your spot and float and relax...grab a Labadoozie first... "Island drinks, so nice, so nice!" I can still hear it in my head! LOL! We did what everyone says not to do, we let the first guy who approached us help us get a couple of chairs down by the water at the first beach. If we hadn't done that and had walked around first we would never have gotten such a great spot as we did on that beach--part shade and part sun--because people pile onto the area quickly! Find a good spot, plunk your stuff, just take your money and camera with you, then walk around and explore. Then when you're pooped out-took us about 90 mins to check it all out-get your mats and relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx---ENJOY!!!!

I January they were only $10 each, and you could reserve ahead OR rent them on the spot. If you are going to be doing a lot of prowling around, I would say skip the mats. If you are going to park on the beach all day, then the mats are a good thing, you will love floating around on them.

We did not get mats- as we had done the zipline in the morning, then lunch, then shopping for a bit, and also the historic walking tour. So we were really only swimming for less than 1 hour.

Archived