NCL Cabin Category Price Rate Drop

billymon

On 8/14/04 I booked the Norwegian Spirit for the 10/22/04 sailing through an agent and the rate was identical to the rate available on NCL's website. Despite no discount offered, I was forced to book through this agency because I had credit card cruise rewards and was told in the event NCL dropped the price I would be refunded the difference. Yesterday on NCL's website for the exact same category the rate dropped $100 and I informed my agent and was told to contact NCL. My agent said "did you get that in writing"? I called NCL and was told to contact my agent. I realize NCL can assess a surcharge (fuel or other) after the fact but they won't refund the difference when the price drops. I believe this is a double standard and we are being penalized or discriminated against by booking early. I sent a letter to Colin Vietch, President and CEO of NCL as I believe this practice is not ethical or professional. It's not the principle, it's the money! Has anyone else had this problem with NCL?

There are a couple of issues to consider here: 1-you booked with a TA, NCL is 100% correct telling you to contact the TA. In theory the listing belongs to the TA and all transactions must go through him/her. 2-normally after final payment has been made it's pretty tough to get any line to adjust the price, up or down for that matter. Sometimes we get lucky, but normally there are no adjustments. This happened to our family last year. The price dropped right after final payment was made, we had 4 cabins and were told by our agent "tough luck" We even asked for a 1 cat upgrade if we couldn't get the lower price, NOT! By the way this wasn't an NCL cruise.

NMNita

I booked the Carnival Paradise a few years back and the price dropped on Carnival's website by $300 per person. I informed my agent weeks prior to departure and my agent said "impossible"! She confirmed it and I received a refund check from the agent when I returned . Now that's a good cruise line and agency!

I booked the Carnival Paradise a few years back and the price dropped on Carnival's website by $300 per person. I informed my agent weeks prior to departure and my agent said "impossible"! She confirmed it and I received a refund check from the agent when I returned . Now that's a good cruise line and agency!

YOu didn't mention whether you had or had not made final payment, but put that aside: Carnival is far from my favorite line but when a tA I found them one of the best to work with when it came to complaints and rebates. NMNita

• 2 weeks later...

A reputable agent will issue a credit (even after final payment has been made). I have always book 4-6 months in advanvce and then watched the price and received a refund (even after final payment has been made). The one time they did not give me a refund - they gave me a ship credit for $300.00 which was fine with me.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I never go directly to the cruise line for our bookings. In fact, I haven't used a travel agent either for close to 10 years. Instead, I've found the best rates through internet sites. Even with the recent price drops @ NCL's site, our fare for the 12/3 Spirit sailing is still $250/person less.

I use my TA book the cruise (which is always lower that NCL...that's like paying the ticket price for a car) and if I find it cheaper online I send him the link and the TA will make and adjustment to the price. And even when the TA's reduced the price because I found it a bit lower online... they still had a bottle of wine and basket of fruit in our room when we embarked. ;)

Archived