Green Bay Resort.

Deaf Dude

We just got back from Santo Tomas and took the water falls and green bay tour. We booked at the building at the pier. We actually added on a tour to Livingston as well. I would not recommend that since the boat ride there was long and we only had time to have lunch and then return to Green Bay. I would have preferred to stay at Green Bay and enjoy the facilities. We did take the canoe out before we left. They also have swimming pools and pretty grounds to walk around and enjoy. The menu prices did seem a little high for the area. They were US prices in my opinion. I have attached a few photos of the resort.

212961309_greenbay_1.jpg.92275ee1a6b589d3b9c2a83d3dceb1d1.jpg

1101315059_greenbay_2.jpg.5500dfa2c5e6b0b6eb92af86f4102bc8.jpg

1175449907_greenbay3.jpg.7847cf1f517ab63e1811a619a0d81177.jpg

904497251_greenbay4.jpg.7f2ac600823486a86e45e5ee1cd4f996.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The water taxi's actually left from where the ship docks. We booked the tour so the price our guide charged us was $45 to go to the waterfalls, livingston and green bay. The water taxi (about 10-15 min) first went to green bay resort and then we took a van ride to the waterfalls. After the waterfalls we took the van ride back to green bay and took a water taxi to Livingston. The ride to Livingston was about 40 minutes. We had a walking tour and lunch while in Livingston and then walked some more and went back to Green Bay Resort.

If I had to do it again - I would have just went to the waterfalls and then spent the day at Green Bay. Although the prices on the menu were a little high, it would have been nice to just enjoy the facilities.

We were just trying to see as much as possible and wanted to squeeze a Livingston tour.

It is a nice place, not the best resort ever but still nice you have the Bay view (not really a beach for swimming, the sand is held by sandbags but still a very nice view), a pool with swim up bar, food is pricey but good (8$ for their burger, try the one with the guacamole, it's good - 3$ for a good local beer). We asked one of the guy if we could get a fresh coconut and he charged us 5$ for 2 coconuts and it was fresh since Catherine went with him and saw him come up the tree, then he brought us a shot of alcool (we had not asked for that, I don't know if it's always like that or if it was a treat since he was very interested by my friend... but she was not but that is another story).

jp2001......Can you tell me what Tour Company you did this with? Thanks!:)

Sorry, I don't know what was the company because we got the boat ride to the resort free because of an excursion with another company didn't go as planned.

jp2001.....Thanks anyway, I was reading the other thread where you posted and saw what a bad time you had with Gus (sorry about that). We were going to book with him but then figured we would just wing it & look for a city tour at the pier. Glad things worked out for you in the end. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, just back from out Spirit Cruise and we did this tour with TURIX ACTIVO Tours. For those of you who have never been to Guatemala....the Tour Buliding is about a 5 minute walk to the right when you get off the boat. They are located inside the terminal to the right (by Happy Fish). We had a great time! They started off by taking us by boat across the bay to the Green Bay Resort. It was about a 15 minutes ride. After that we switched to an air conditioned van and we were off to the falls (very beautiful) and then off to the city tour. We stopped along the way to ewat some fresh pineapple and stopped to see the cemetary then we were taken back to the port with a few hours to spare for shopping or what-ever you wanted to do. All in all we had a very good time and our tour guide (Jesika) was awesome:D . They charged us $35 per person and 1/2 price for kids 2-12. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you for posting the emails. We are sailing on the Spirit next week and plan to do the Green Bay resort and waterfall tour with these folks. I am glad to be able to contact them since we have a teenager in a wheelchair, we wanted to see if the could accomodate us. Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Santo Tomas on the NCL Spirit on March 19th. Our family had an incredible day in port. There were two families (mine was 2 adults and a 14 and 16 year old) and our family friend (1 adult and 2 15 year olds, with one in a wheelchair). The weather cooperated, however there were 3 ships in port, which was obviously a little more than they are normally prepared....

I had read on here about a resort called Green Bay. I knew I wanted to hike the waterfalls as well. I needed a place where our family friend and her daughter (being in the wheelchair) could spend the day, but allow the rest of us to go to the waterfalls. This was the perfect tour!!

We went into the terminal building, saw the Green Bay and Waterfall tour on the sign (was to the right after entering the building, company was Turix) and went over and booked the tour. Due to so many ships in port, we had to wait about 30 minutes before they were ready to load us on the water taxi to the resort, but we loaded on the water taxi, had about a 5 to 10 minute ride to the resort.

The resort is not a resort in the terms of a Marriott or Hilton with manicured grounds. However, the grounds are wonderful, because they are very natural rain forest. There is one pool about 4 foot or so deep, it has a swim up bar, a basketball goal and a net for volleyball. There is also a pool that is about a foot deep, with rocks, water sprayers, a small slide and two deeper sitting areas that are similar to a jazucci, but the water was just pool water. In addition, there was a beach with chairs and umbrellas. They had kayaks available to take out as well.

We got the resort and learned that it would be about 45 minutes until the van to take those going on the waterfall would arrive. So, the kids went and jumped in the pool. Once the van arrived, we left and went to the waterfalls and enjoyed the hike and the kids spent quite awhile in the waterfalls. Jennifer was our guide from the port until we arrived at the port again. She spoke excellent English and was able to point out flora and other items for us as we hiked. She let us have the amount of time we wanted at the falls. Once we finished at the falls, we took the van back to resort. We ordered lunch at the resort and throughly enjoyed the our time there.

If you are wanting a very easy hike and to enjoy some modest waterfalls and then be able to rest in a true rain forest environment, then this is a great tour!! Our cost was $45 a person and I think that was a great bargain.

If anyone has any questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer.

Well, actually I said $45, but I believe it was really $40 for the tour. It did not include lunch. The resort had a buffet by the pool that was too expensive for me. I believe the buffet was $18. We ordered off the menu, I believe Nacho's were like $5 and cheeseburger and fries were $7. Since I knew we would be heading back to ship around 3:00ish, we just ordered a couple of Nacho's and the kids split a Cheeseburger. I think the 2 nacho's and the Cheeseburger with a couple of soft drinks was like $25. The food was average, nothing to rave over. The buffet looked like much better food, but for the 4 of us, I wasn't willing to pay the $80 for all of us to have the buffet, when in approximately 2 hours we were going to be heading back to the ship and all the hamburgers, hot dogs and etc we could eat :-)

We did pay a dollar at the entrance of the waterfall (when we finished) for a bowl of fresh fruit, it was wonderful. They also had grilled corn on the cob for a dollar and couple of other items.

Did the $45 include lunch?

If you want a quick, authentic something to eat, some of the locals were cooking at the entrance to the falls. We had a tamale type of thing with beef ($3 for only the tamale or $5 with pasta). For dessert they had coconuts & the ABSOLUTE BEST elephant ear type of thing. It was filled with cream & topped with sugar.

Question - there are number of posts on this thread about waterfalls - are they essentially the same or are there a number of different waterfalls that can be visited.

Also how would you compare these waterfalls to those at Dunne River Falls in Ocho Rios and can you climb up them like you do at Dunne's River.

Cheers

Dennis

These falls are nothing like Dunn's River. If you have been to Hawaii, I would compare them to some of the waterfalls you hike to that are on the road to Hana. If you haven't been to Hawaii, the waterfalls we hiked to are named "Los Escobas" . Basically the falls are about 20 or so feet tall and there is a pool at the base. Mostly you can swim around in the pool at the base of the falls. The guide strongly encouraged not climbing beyond the top of the fall, because of a rare, but possible dangerous snake or spider. As long as you stayed in the pool area and on the trails you were fine. It is a not a strenuous hike. As mentioned above there were several food items for sale at the beginning of the trail. Our guide was very helpful in talking about the different things available. The bowl of fruit looked so fresh that is what we chose. Some in our group got the grilled corn on the cob, they said it was okay, but the kernels of corn were hard, not very soft.

The water in the falls is very clear. No problem if you stay in the main pool area of the falls. I wasn't concerned in that area at all.

Green Bay is actually salt water, it is not that clear, but I doubt there would be any problems from snakes.

Archived