Roses in late October?

Robin7

We will be cruising from Auckland to Sydney, October 24-November 7th, Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin, Burnie, Melbourne, Sydney.

There will be six of us--us, my inlaws, and my brother-in-law and his wife. I am trying to put together some private tours and some do-it-yourself-tours. My mother-in-law LOVES flowers, particularly roses. I know that a few of the cities we stop in have beautiful gardens. Which gardens in which cities would you all recommend and will the flowers be blooming during those dates? I know it's spring, but is it too early??? (I hope not!)

Robin

I know that Christchurch has beautiful public gardens with lots of flowers. Sydney - not so much because of water shortages. I suspect the same for Melbourne as well. Nice gardens but not lots of flowers - they're too thirsty.

Don't miss the Gardens in Dunedin, we walked from the city center through the University to the Gardens, very impresssive. Also the Gardens in Christchurch are worth a visit and the beautiful gardens in Wellington including the Rose Garden. In Wellington take the cable car to the top and walk back down through the various gardens - very impressive.

The Roses were out in April but not sure about October.

We do have magnificent roses ready by the 1st November as that is when we have our Melbourne Cup at Flemington Racecourse. I am not sure if our roses here are out any earlier. Our Public gardens are still beautiful even though we are in a drought and have water restrictions, though the lawns are not as good as usual.

We are all hoping by October that our drought will be well and truly over.

Jennie

Archived