Days of the Week in Elevators

eem0924

Just off Enchantment and I was disappointed to find that there was no carpet in the elevators that proclaims the day of the week, SUNDAY, MONDAY, etc.

In the past on Navigator and Mariner there was carpet on the floor of each elevator which was changed daily and showed what day of the week it was.

It was always fun to see that because I was so relaxed I might not always remember what day it was.

Do they not do this anymore??

Just not on smaller ships??

It was a little thing but I always enjoyed seeing it.

I remember that from Voyager, but it wasn't on Majesty, so it must be something they do on the larger/newer ships. I remember how much of a let down it was seeing the final Saturday get put down at midnight of our last day.

Just off the Voyager and they had it. Only thing is that one day, on one of the elevators, someone forgot to change Friday's matt to Saturday. We noticed it about mid-day. We were hoping that the ship had drifted into the Twilight Zone :eek: and we were going to have extra days at sea but coming back on the elevator a few hours later we noticed that the mistake was corrected. :(

Recently back from Serenade. They had days of the week there as well however they weren't carpeted. The day was in gold lettering set into the lino at the front of the elevators. I think it's pretty cool, tho it can remind you how long the day is sometimes..lol...when you see the same day for what seems like forever :)

Warren and Yvonne

They only started doing that when they built the Radiance and Voyager Class ships. Anything before that does not have them. So that means all your Vision Class ships or Majesty, Sovereign, Monarch, Empress.....they won't have that.

Recently back from Serenade. They had days of the week there as well however they weren't carpeted. The day was in gold lettering set into the lino at the front of the elevators. I think it's pretty cool, tho it can remind you how long the day is sometimes..lol...when you see the same day for what seems like forever :)

Warren and Yvonne

I want to know HOW do they change the days, electronically or manually? The carpets are changed manually.

I like seeing the days on the elevators. When I retired one of my co-workers gave me a clock that only shows the days of the week NOT the time. I love it.

I want to know HOW do they change the days, electronically or manually? The carpets are changed manually.

I like seeing the days on the elevators. When I retired one of my co-workers gave me a clock that only shows the days of the week NOT the time. I love it.

Hehe I like that idea :) I'm sure it is the same on all the ships, carpeted or not, they are inserts and changed manually :)

Warren and Yvonne

Just before midnight they call the elevators all the way down to the first floor and there is a guy who has this tool that pulls the old day up and the plop the new one in. We happened to be in the elevator when it happened.

When asked this question at the Captains Q & A, the chief engineer said, "We don't change the carpet squares with the day ... we change the elevator".

It is so much fun on a cruise longer than 7 days because you get to see them more then once!;):D

My sentiments exactly, it's nice to know that when you see Monday for the first time, for example, on a longer cruise, you will see it again and still have a day or two before you actually have to disembark.;)

Radiance class ships were the first to introduce this feature and it has been continued on all subsequent classes of ships. It was notable for its absence when we were on the Enchantment last month and we will miss this daily reminder when we are on the Legend in two weeks (although since that is only a seven day cruise it won't remind us how little time we have left to enjoy our cruise.:D

I really liked the days in the elevators on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday felt like hump day. Take or leave it. Thurs liked less. Friday liked even less. Saturday almost made me cry. Sunday just darned depressed me. Thought to myself how can I love one Sunday and hate the next. You all know why....Coming and going. DH and I talked about it each day when in the elevator.

Is cute idea though.

Laura

Manually. Around midnight, they recall the elevators down to deck 2 and a guy has a tool he uses to change them out.

Just before midnight they call the elevators all the way down to the first floor and there is a guy who has this tool that pulls the old day up and the plop the new one in. We happened to be in the elevator when it happened.

Thanks Ladies, I always wondered about this...Later, Jill:cool:

Manually. Around midnight, they recall the elevators down to deck 2 and a guy has a tool he uses to change them out.

That explains why I never saw them change, I was keeping an eye on the elevators and they just seem to change themselves. :o

Archived