AT&T ad above

jgsmuzzy

Interesting that the ship they show is the QM2. One of the lines that do not carry the service (thank Goodness!)

Thank you for posting this. I noticed the irony in their choice of graphic, too, but didn't want to stir up trouble with a CC advertiser.

Does QV have wireless service?

Kathy

You know, I was going to start a thread about this about a week ago, but was treading carefully, since I both work for the advertising company and have had occasion to be involved in putting up the trunks that carry the service. I've studied a bit about how the service works (and their job openings...just in case...(hmmm, six months on a ship doing essentially the job that I do today! And they'd PAY me to be there!)

That said, I, too, hope they never put it on Cunard ships. While I like to think that I could be discreet, too many people think they have the right to shout their personal business for all to hear. I cannot tell you how many times I have been tempted to answer a question or statement I overhear (loudly) from people on cell phones. Standing outside a restaurant in Maine this woman was shouting for all to hear about her house and selling price. I wanted to shout, "You paid HOW MUCH?" But I didn't want to be a boor and return rudeness with rudeness.

I will say at least my company does attempt (in bill inserts, ads and on the opening screen when you turn on your phone) to admonish people to be polite in their use.

But yes, I thought it quite ironic that they chose the obvious Cunard colors and stacks to advert Wireless Maritime service (cellular at sea) Of course it is also saying about working in other countries (Which I shall see in April!)

<sigh>

I come home from work, the last thing I want to see is a banner ad for my work!

Oh well, it pays for my cruising jones!

Karie

The AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular) Wireless Switch Technician (for what it's worth)

P.S. I suppose I could accept it being on say, the Vicky, (since that would be like having it on a HAL ship) if they hired ME to install it and run it! But only if I could take vacations on the QE2 and QM2~! <G>

I personally want to know if Cunard is letting AT&T use what is an EXACT likeness of their one-of-a-kind ship, with an EXACT likeness of their funnel. There's no doubt it's QM2...and I'll admit, I clicked to see. (I was kind of hoping for it -- maybe it'd mean EV-DO broadband, and thus no dollar-a-minute internet fees!)

I consider it a bit of a bait-and-switch, especially with this being the Cunard part of CC. (I don't venture beyond this forum; a direct link on my toolbar saves me from the horrors of maybe clicking the Carnival board.)

I'd think that QM2's profile is recognisable enough, and the Cunard funnel especially (with all these "Royal Rendezvous" in every port in the world, you'd think it's akin to the McDonalds arches by now).

Not knowing anything about the cellular industry, would it even be possible to put this type of service on, say, QM2, and have it work on a transat?

I personally want to know if Cunard is letting AT&T use what is an EXACT likeness of their one-of-a-kind ship, with an EXACT likeness of their funnel. There's no doubt it's QM2...and I'll admit, I clicked to see. (I was kind of hoping for it -- maybe it'd mean EV-DO broadband, and thus no dollar-a-minute internet fees!)

Not knowing anything about the cellular industry, would it even be possible to put this type of service on, say, QM2, and have it work on a transat?

BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Take it back Greg, or you will be BANNED

First off, AT&T does NOT sell EV-DO. Which is why it work sin Europe. AT&T does GSM, and UMTS (3G)

Second. Under NO circumstances will ANY of us allow cellular on board.

Well, maybe if it was only capable of Data. Even then idiots would be sitting across from one another texting instead of talking.

so NO cellular on Cunard ships!

Talk about Mass market and lowering the bar!

Nope. No way!

You could rent a data capable SAT phone, but they aren't cheap.

Enjoy US for six days and do your emailing when we get to Southampton.

Karie (lovingly)

Who still has not mailed your

BIRTHDAY CARD!!!!!

It's in my bag, stamped and addressed and signed.

Hope it was happy!

(Sorry I'm late!)

That said, I, too, hope they never put it on Cunard ships. While I like to think that I could be discreet, too many people think they have the right to shout their personal business for all to hear. I cannot tell you how many times I have been tempted to answer a question or statement I overhear (loudly) from people on cell phones. Standing outside a restaurant in Maine this woman was shouting for all to hear about her house and selling price. I wanted to shout, "You paid HOW MUCH?" But I didn't want to be a boor and return rudeness with rudeness.

<G>

I have to agree about the noise of people using phones, whilst on a holiday in the Indian Ocean on a little island, this person was shouting into the phone "can you hear me, can you hear me now" i wanted to take the phone and let it snorkle...

so glad to hear that mobile phone will not be heard whilst at sea

Brian

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I love my cell phone and its with me wherever i go!

However, i am aware when others are around and respect that. My phone is always on silent, no exceptions. Yes, I did take my phone with me aboard QM2 in May (I keep it with me as my watch during the day), and recieved service few times, through the strait of Gibraltar, and when we were close enough to shore...

Really though i could care less if they put it onboard. I mean its not necessary, but it is nice to be able to use MY personal phone, just like i use my own laptop...

I agree with Adam: cell can be very useful: I was pleased to find it available on my solo TA on the Norwegian Pearl December 06: I could compare notes on the storm and our 16 knot progress to Miami, with my wife before going to bed each evening.

Our our QM2 2007 San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale, I was able to rush up the funnel square observation deck at odd hours to solve property issues between my sister and her neighbors, keep minimal contact with my mostly demented dad and his carepeople, approve the fine details of the realignment of our tiny company's sales force, and get up to date Ohio State scores from nephews (when the ship's computers were down). All this by simply watching the navigation map, and thereby getting cell minutes billed from lots of places we did not actually visit: Sri Lanka, Philippines, Queensland, Sudan(or some country along the Red Sea), and Cyprus.

Cunard could capture that income which is otherwise going to really interestingly named cell carriers all over, and I could talk quietly in our cabin, without exposing myself by the funnel.

It is just like cars and cows, any new fangled invention will have idiot people who abuse them, just have a gin and laugh!

Cunard could capture that income which is otherwise going to really interestingly named cell carriers all over, and I could talk quietly in our cabin, without exposing myself by the funnel.

Bad choice of words there...

It is just like cars and cows, any new fangled invention will have idiot people who abuse them, just have a gin and laugh!

Clearly, you did have serious need of communication during your trip. Sadly, there are more rude idiots who abuse the invention and treat those around them to all manner of personal business. Think about the content of your conversation the next time you talk to someone who's on a cell. The other day in the supermarket, a woman was loudly giving advice to a friend regarding boyfriend troubles. I wonder if the friend knew that details of her lovelife could be heard over 3 aisles of Shop Rite????

I don't mind the silly "Hi, I'm on deck" calls. That's vacation euphoria, and I understand that. Most cell calls I make during vacation are to check on elderly father and to torture friends and relatives with info about our good weather. Recently, we were in Miami Beach, 80 F, and called SIL in NJ, 25 F--she was not amused.

Kathy

She called me a rude word. :eek: Then she told her daughter to text me the temperature in Nebraska, which was around 3 F. Was I supposed to feel guilty? (I didn't)

Kathy

It just shows that no good comes from the ownership of mobile phones. They clearly increase jealousy, discontent, and....rude words.:)

Jane

BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Karie,

We find ourselves in complete agreement on this. I have been on a ship with mobile phone service (MS Midnatsol) and it was lovely to be able to speak to Kirsten. But that is a working ship - and Cunarders are not.

If it is that important to speak, then there is a phone in the cabin.

Matthew

The phones in the cabins have that nasty delay from 40 years ago: maybe a compromise would be to offer a cell based service only in the cabins.

Funnel exposure: we quickly learned that all of the oceans are cold, and marvel at the hardy English who cluster in the 2 sq ft of sun which is out of the wind and hope to get a burn: if you want to be outside on a Cunard trip, be prepared for exposure. Of course I was just being clever also.

The phones in the cabins have that nasty delay from 40 years ago: maybe a compromise would be to offer a cell based service only in the cabins.

Funnel exposure: we quickly learned that all of the oceans are cold, and marvel at the hardy English who cluster in the 2 sq ft of sun which is out of the wind and hope to get a burn: if you want to be outside on a Cunard trip, be prepared for exposure. Of course I was just being clever also.

And it was clever! But seeing how few posts you've had, I didn't want you to be upset if certaint posters here (mentioning no names, CQ) took hold of the comment and ran with it. :rolleyes:

Kathy

The phones in the cabins have that nasty delay from 40 years ago: .
If your phone is out of range of land based repeaters, then the signal will be channeled through the ships INMARSAT, go up to the satellites and back down again, so you will have exactly the same delay.

If your phone is out of range of land based repeaters, then the signal will be channeled through the ships INMARSAT, go up to the satellites and back down again, so you will have exactly the same delay.

True.

The delay is from the terrestrial station to the Satellite and back, not the phone to the terrestrial station.

But I think the poster actually meant dealing with Satellite delay, vs. the relatively delay-free cellular service (I say relatively. It is not, actually, but for most people, it is not terribly noticeable, except when first placing the call- When it gets to be a problem is when echo cancelers don't work. I am working on such a problem right now, and it is intractable! It sounds like you are talking to yourself. If anyone remembers what Sprint or MCI long distance service sounded like in the beginning- It was horrible- the echo was so intense it made you want to hang up.

Karie-

who knows that sound all too well!

P.S. Yes, I agree it is convenient to have on board- Like when our alarm company called me to tell me we had an intrusion alarm when we were at sea- We didn't find out til we hit land. Fortunately, it was the neighbors. It turns out the garage door hit a spot that made it go back up. They knew we were gone, went in to check to see everything was all right, and unknowingly set off the alarm! The police came, the neighbors closed the garage door and all was well, thank goodness! Now they have a key and the code!

I was wondering if they had to get special permission to 'use' her.

I doubt it. I remember an episode of CSI Miami where they had a few cases on a cruise ship, ocean liner in QM2's case. (Pre-Freddom of the Seas, when QM2 was still the biggest) The first was a murder, the second was a cabin robbery, the third was a drugging (I think). Anyway, interiors of the ship were filmed on the origional QM but all of the exterior shots (used a couple times during the show) were of QM2 with, I think, a second funnel.

I don't see Cunard giving permission for that, so I'd think the same freedom goes for the advertisers.

Another think I noticed, almost every episode of CSI Miami shows at least one or two RCCL ships in port.

• 2 weeks later...
Cunard do not carry the service on any of the ships, and long may it stay that way.

I just discovered this article. Looks like cell phone coverage is imminent on all Cunard ships. I have mixed feelings on this. Given use of the QM2 profile, would this mean the carrier is going to be AT&T?

http://www.marinelink.com/Story/MobileNetworksonCruiseShips-210323.html

-Ken M

To go along with the $55K Hummers and Yukon Denalis and other assorted GM products?

It's called "product placement." Hey, somebody has to pay Caruso's salaray, right?

RCCL must have strong ties to Miami. When we went to the South Beach Art Deco festival in 2006, they were about to launch one of their monster ships, so to promote it, they had a huge inflatable ship (actually just the forward third) in the park near the beach to attract attention. Once you got there, you were invited to "learn more about their ships." Standing outside, I could hear the horrible pounding music of their commercials, so I said No thanks.

Kathy

Archived