Downtown vs. Airport Hotels

Hi Everyone,

I'll be needing 3 rooms for our one night pre in Vancouver on 9-19-08.

My thoughts have been to stay near the airport so that there will be free shuttle service. There's 6 of us and some of us will probably be arriving at different times/airlines than the others but all on the same day.

My next plan would be to hire a limo to take us all together to Ballantyne on the 20th.

My question is..........is the airport area not a good one to be in? Most here seem to agree that Downtown is the place to be.

Since we won't be in Vancouver but for a quick one-nighter, does it really matter?

Thanks. Your opinions are appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

I'll be needing 3 rooms for our one night pre in Vancouver on 9-19-08.

My thoughts have been to stay near the airport so that there will be free shuttle service. There's 6 of us and some of us will probably be arriving at different times/airlines than the others but all on the same day.

My next plan would be to hire a limo to take us all together to Ballantyne on the 20th.

My question is..........is the airport area not a good one to be in? Most here seem to agree that Downtown is the place to be.

Since we won't be in Vancouver but for a quick one-nighter, does it really matter?

Thanks. Your opinions are appreciated.

No, it probably doesn't matter. The airport hotels will probably be a little less expensive, and as you're leaving from Ballantyne (a little east of downtown in a rough and ready part of the dockland) you're going to need a ride there anyway.

You might want to consider staying in the Metrotown district (about 10km SE of downtown), as there's a lot to do right around there, and it's easy to get around with Skytrain (see translink.bc.ca), and a little closer to the airport. Especially if you're going to rent a limo from the hotel -> Ballantyne, which is going to be probably fixed rate for an hour, so it doesn't matter where you start from. Certainly there's a lot more options for dinner around metrotown, than there is from most of the airport hotels.

Dear Barbidoll

If you are trying to accomodate easy access to the airport with free hotel shuttle from the airport you do not want the Metrotown area of Vancouver as that is a minimum of a 30 minute cab ride and more likely a 45 minute cab ride and then the same to the dock the next day.

I would stay in Richmond if you are arriving late int he day and only want a place to sleep (Richmond is where the airport is). Many of the hotels (read that as most) offer free shuttle to the airport and then the next morning take your limo to Ballentyne Pier - about a 30 minute ride. The Richmond area is fine - safe and all with lots of Asian restaurants. The down side is all the tourist attractions are in downtown Vancovuer. That is why if any of you are arriving early and want to go sightseeing I would not suggest a Richmond (airport area) hotel rather a downtown Vancouver hotel where you can easily visit several of our tourist attractions like Gas Town, China Town, Stanley Park, Granville Island etc and then the next day you are only about a 5 - 10 min cab ride to the ship.

Hope teh above helps

Thanks BCHappyGal,

I guess I was just looking for someone in the know to tell me that my thinking of staying in Richmond was an ok choice. You're right. All we're looking for is a nice & safe place to be overnight.

I'm thinking of the Best Western Abercorn. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks again,

Barbara

How do I say this nicely?? I have stayed at the BW Abercorn - and will never again.

Try the Travelodge - its right near there - has free shuttle service to the airport running on the half hour.

How do I say this nicely?? I have stayed at the BW Abercorn - and will never again.

Try the Travelodge - its right near there - has free shuttle service to the airport running on the half hour.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What would be the approximate taxi fare from the airport hotels to the cruise ship terminal. One other question do the taxis and merchants in vancouver accept the USD or will we need to get some canadian dollars for tips and taxie?

Taxis and most merchants will accept US$$ BUT DON"T expect a very favorable exchange rate - currently around a 25% premium and you are going to get your change in CDN $$$.

You might want to use your credit cards instead.

Taxi fare from the airport to downtown is around $35.00

If you are traveling in 2010 our new rapid transit line from the Airport to downtown will be in service and will cost something like $4.00 per person.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Can you give me a littlle more information on your concerns with the Abercorn Inn??

Thanks

Used to stay at the Abercorn Inn frequently some years back when on the provincial exectuive of a service club. It is your basic Best Western, clean, comfortable and in a quiet and safe location. Nothing spectacular but no issues either. I would have not problem staying there if I wanted a modestly price motel close to the airport.:)

Archived