I need help with glow worm tour in Auckland

islandermg

hello,

We are on a Princess cruise in NZ in Feb. and have set up a 3-day pre-cruise hotel stay with Princess in Auckland. It includes a tour to the glow worm caverns the day before ship sails. My question. I have booked eight of us for dinner at the Orbit Sky restaurant that same afternoon at 5:30. Has anyone taken this tour through Princess and if so, when did you return to the hotel. I might have to make a later dinner reservation.

thanks,

islandermg

We just returned form Auckland and we took similar tour. It wasn't done through Princess I booked it thruogh New Zealand Tours. We left Auckland at 7:00 am and suggested returned time was 7:00 pm. We actually came earlier but it was just our luck and not a normal schedule as there were only 2 of us on this tour.

When I was checking different tour operators they all require about 11-12 hours for this tour. Just a drive time between Auckland and Waitomo approximately 3 hours one way.

To be on the safe side you better reschedule your restaurant for the later time.

wow, 3 hours each way? i didn't realize it was that far away. that's a lot of time to spend in the car. did you think it was worth the drive? we're going to be spending 3 days in auckland pre-cruise and we're trying to figure out what we're doing.

If you want my honest opinion of the Glow Worm Caves, they are highly overrated. We did it 3 years ago with a rental car there and back and it sure wasn't the highlight of the trip.

The Hop on Hop off bus sounds interesting though. Especially the rates for multiple days.

Just returned today. We did the glow worm caves and found it fascinating. By the time we got off the ship and dealt with the luggage, it was about 8:30 am. We hit a bit of traffic, and stopped for coffee and still made it up there by a little after 11. We did the 11:30 glow worm tour and then headed down to the Angora Rabbit shearing. We had a wonderful day and made it back to Auckland by about 3:30 - plenty of time to do one of the volcanos and some of the beautiful parks before taking us to the airport at bout 4:45. Soooo glad we did the tour! Just loved New Zealand!

Archived