Tunisia-- Star Wars?

lsfla

My husband and daughter are HUGE Star Wars fans... We are taking RCCL to Tunisia this summer.... does anyone know how we would go about visitin any of the sites in Tunisia where the movie was filmed?

I did a quick google search and came up with this link - http://www.tunisia.com/Tunisia/Travel/Star-Wars-in-Tunisia

I have also seen a couple of travel programmes on this and from memory a lot of the sets were in the desert and a reasonable distance from the coast, so it may be too far and too hot for you to visit in summer.

• 1 month later...

I went to the site when I was staying at a resort on Djerba la Fiedel. I think it was a couple of hours into the country from where we were in the south. I'm a Star Wars fan too, so it was neat to see, but it was more interesting to see the place for what it was than as a movie set. There isn't much "Star Wars" remaining (a couple of panels stuck on some walls), but when I was there I did recognize a couple of spots from the movie. I think it was in an area/town called Tatooine, but it may have been spelled differently than in the movies. Don't think that a non-star wars fan won't get anything out of the visit, it's in a fascinating little town where the local people live underground.

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on where your ship will dock -- if you are in Tunis, it is a long way south to Tozeur and Matmata and Chott El-Jerid where much of the movie was filmed. I went there while staying in the resort town of Hammamet (about an hour south of Tunis) a few years ago - it was a long day's drive to the south.

The country is fascinating -- you will want time to look around. It isn't particularly obvious where the movies were filmed anymore as it has been many years and the desert landscape changes frequently.

There are lots of interesting things to see in the north of the country -- lots of historical sites. And the Souk is interesting, too.

Archived