Isle of Pines - What not to miss

Blue Boys

Hi everyone,

We're travelling on the P/D 18.3.08 and will be travelling to Isle of Pines for the first time. Can anyone tell me what to expect and what not to miss. I remember reading something from Den about Isle of Pines but can't remember which thread it was. (That's what happens you become obsessed with this board).

Also what kind of weather can we expect for that time of year. I imagine it will be warm. I've been told it can be quite wet as well due to the tail end of monsoon. Just be interesting to hear what people have encountered in the past.

Thanks

Marg

Hi everyone,

We're travelling on the P/D 18.3.08 and will be travelling to Isle of Pines for the first time. Can anyone tell me what to expect and what not to miss. I remember reading something from Den about Isle of Pines but can't remember which thread it was. (That's what happens you become obsessed with this board).

Also what kind of weather can we expect for that time of year. I imagine it will be warm. I've been told it can be quite wet as well due to the tail end of monsoon. Just be interesting to hear what people have encountered in the past.

Thanks

Marg

We loved the Isle of Pines. We basically just went swimming and snorkelling at the beach. Its about a 15 minute walk from the dock past the old fort. The sand is glorious and the swimming is excellent. There is a big sacred rock that you are not allowed to climb but you can swim right up to it and the reef and fish are absolutely amazing. We were there 12 months ago and it was hot. The temperatures are basically the same as Bundaberg (they are on the same longtitude) - mummsie:)

We were there also in 03. It is a beautiful island. The locals also rent bikes so you can ride around the island and there is also a path you can take to a view point (not sure where it is but have heard many people talk about the walk).

Kerri

Last time we were there was December 07. The locals run tours for A$15pp. There will be vans (modern ones) parked a couple of hundred metres from the jetty (towards the swimming/snorkelling area). The tour is well worth it.

The locals put on a dance performance at 11am. Look near the jetty to see if there are any signs indicating that this is going to occur the day you are there. There is a small market under the trees, but don't expect too much.

The weather will be warm (not too hot), and the water will be warm - great for swimming and snorkelling.:)

Get on the first tenders if you can or the electic bikes will be gone, or go to the road to the left beach first and buy a fresh coconut for $3.00 Au,the guy,s will cut it open so you can drink the milk then re cut it so you can eat the flesh:) Then go to the free taste food stall and get some fish cooked in bannana leaves with yam and mango(forgot the name) Its really nice and I lived to tell the tale, "twice":D Go watch the natives do a dance and stay on the left beach for a swim as the otherside is windy and very crowded in the morning(the sand is like talcum powder and water warm)Then go for a snorkel on the other beach when the crowds die down cos they realize the other beach is less windy and crowded;) Go for a coctail in the resort on the snorkeling beach and see how the other half live:( Drinks can get a bit pricey but well worth it.

Den.

I agree about getting first tender, but I say for the snorkelling. On one cruise we were on the first tender and the water was crystal clear and when we went back in the afternoon, the water had all the sand kicked up and nowhere near as clear from the 1000 people splashing around.

Also take some commercially packaged chips, biscuits or something to feed the fish. Not sure about the quarantine regs there. Since the ship tells you no food but then you can buy exactly the same stuff onshore.

Also take some commercially packaged chips, biscuits or something to feed the fish. Not sure about the quarantine regs there. Since the ship tells you no food but then you can buy exactly the same stuff onshore.

To pass on a tip we saw on a Brushtail post, we took a couple of the individual serve packs of premium crackers. Crunch them, snip the corner and allow the pack to fill with water. Slowly squeeze out bits of the wet cracker and beaut tropical fish come from everywhere. We did this in front of the sacred rock on the back beach.

Take plenty of water. Soft drinks were $8AU per can when we visited.

Was a beautiful location and we swam in four nice spots along the front & back beaches. Apart from our ship, there was also a large cat in from Noumea for the day. Plenty of people, but enough room for everyone. There was a very serious bingo game that congregated cars from everywhere. While the girls played their bingo, the guys were playing their boules.

Our cabin steward has visited a large number of Islands around the world, and he rated Isle of Pines as the best island he has ever visited

Hi! We were at the Isle of Pines during the Pac Sun New Years Eve cruise. It's a beautiful place! As you walk towards the beach there was a man on the right hand side doing glass bottom boat tours for $10 per person. The boat had six of us on it plus the local man.It was excellent! You could see all the coral and fish and stuff really clearly and we were out there for well over half an hour. When you have enough of looking at the underwater stuff, you can get some amazing photos of the Isle of Pines from the water. It was one of the highlights of the cruise. The weather was very overcast but hot so don't forget your sunscreen. Whatever you do there, I hope you have a great time!All the best from Pink Poodle

Thanks to everyone for their tips on Isle of Pines.

Sounds like a beautiful place, we visited Ouvea last time and thought that was heaven on earth with the crystal clear water and talc like sand.

Can't wait. :)

Marg

Did you tell them they're dreaming? :cool: :p

I think it cost about $38 for a beer and a vodka lime and soda in the resort:eek: We only had 2,I must be a glutten for punishment:confused:

Was nice to sit there though.

A couple I met on our cruise had a lobster meal in the resturant overlooking the ship and paid $220 for the pleasure:D

Den

Hey Minxy --- wasn't it Isle of Pines where one of your cruises ran aground ... perhaps the Captain should have been told to definatley miss the coral reef!!!!:D:D:eek: rather than what not to miss!!!

Jo,

I heard it was pricey before we went ashore, and we took a couple of litre bottles of water. As we were walking past, a lady was trying (unsuccessfully) to haggle the price down. There was a colourful exchange of expletives, which I think was her way of telling them they were dreaming.

Hey Minxy --- wasn't it Isle of Pines where one of your cruises ran aground ... perhaps the Captain should have been told to definatley miss the coral reef!!!!:D:D:eek: rather than what not to miss!!!

Linda,

I guess at IOP prices, at least we know he wasn't drunk

Archived