How much easier is a passport, really?

We are kicking around the idea of getting our passports since we'll be traveling to Jamaica in October :D

But since we're also going on the cruise in May, we thought it might be useful for both trips.

What are the benefits of using the passport instead of just an I.D. and birth certificate? Do they really only ask you for your passport? Is it that much easier?

Thanks for any questions you can answer!

All depends. If you travel alot, it is a wise longterm investment over 10 years. It is easier than cerrying around two ID's. And after 4+ decades of living, my birth certificate is looking a little ratty too! We copied and laminated the passport ID page to carry off and on the ship and left the real one in the room safe.

If you won't be traveling much in the next few years, then don't get it, not worth the cost.

Just for cruising and if all goes well and you don't, for any unforeseen reason, get stuck in some country after the ship's left, the biggest advantage to having a passport is at disembarkation. There are two lines, one is US citizens with passports, the other is everyone else. The first line moves much faster.

Just for cruising and if all goes well and you don't, for any unforeseen reason, get stuck in some country after the ship's left, the biggest advantage to having a passport is at disembarkation. There are two lines, one is US citizens with passports, the other is everyone else. The first line moves much faster.

Whatever ports have two lines we apparently have never been at one. We have landed in Fort Lauderdale(2), Miami, and Vancover and never encountered it. When we did our Family Reunion on Navigator in March, one of our sons and his wife had passports and were sent through the same lines we were and got out no faster. As a side point, Miami had clearly the best disembarkation system we have seen.

On four cruises in the last three years, we have never found having a passport any easier.

That said, the advice above that if you travel a lot it is a good idea is valid. Also, sooner or later you will pick a cruise that requires one.

In many different situations, a passport is the ultimate, best form of ID. You can never foretell what situations you may encounter. NOTHING beats a passport. It really isn't that expensive, when you divide the cost by the 10 years it is valid. (these days, a new passport has a scannable bar code, which speeds up the process considerably and in the near future may be a make-or-break condition for zipping through customs.)

Another poster to a similar thread tells the story of being able to pick up on a moment's notice and jet off to London with her girlfriends - all because SHE HAD A PASSPORT already.

Carol

Whatever ports have two lines we apparently have never been at one. We have landed in Fort Lauderdale(2), Miami, and Vancover and never encountered it. When we did our Family Reunion on Navigator in March, one of our sons and his wife had passports and were sent through the same lines we were and got out no faster. As a side point, Miami had clearly the best disembarkation system we have seen.

On four cruises in the last three years, we have never found having a passport any easier.

That said, the advice above that if you travel a lot it is a good idea is valid. Also, sooner or later you will pick a cruise that requires one.

That's interesting. They definitely, positively, had two lines in Fort Lauderdale when we disembarked from our Radiance cruise this past January, and I believe, the August before when we disembarked from Miami, although my memory's not so certain on that one. Maybe your son and his wife just went along with the group.

Ditto to Merion Mom. Yes, it may be easier to get through immigration with a passport or it may not be. BUT thorughout the world a passport is the one, recognized legal document stating that you are a citizen of a country. There are many circumstances where you could be stuck without one. There was a thread on this board not too long ago about some folks who missed the first ports on a western caribbean crusie and were trying to get to Belize from Mexico without passposts. No way. There are all sorts of bad things that can happen - medical emergencies, accidents, etc where you could be stuck in a country. The birth certificate is not enough. If you want to travel internationally, protect yourself and get a passport.

We bought passports for our family before we started cruising, and while it hasn't saved an astronomical amount of time overall, it is indeed, easier to travel with a US Passport, as opposed to birth certificate and photo ID.

On our recent Disney Magic cruise, our trip was extended an additonal 3 nights on the ship due to Hurricane Frances, and we had to make an unscheduled stop in Galveston, TX. EVERY SINGLE PERSON on that ship had to report to one of the theaters that morning and present themselves to the US Customs agents. The families/people who had birth certificates and photo IDs had to stand there while the agent matched every piece of ID to each person, while those of us with Passports were able to present them, and with a glance, we were through the line. There were not separate lines for Passports and other forms of ID, but as we waited in line, it was obvious which passengers were being processed quicker.

I also like the safety aspect of traveling out of the US with a Passport. As was already mentioned, if an accident were to occur, I'd feel much better knowing that I have a world-recognised form of ID with us.

I can tell you that more islands in the Caribbean will in the future be requiring guests of ships to have a passport (right now just Barbadoes), at least that is what we've been told. Plus, if unforeseen weather strikes you may find yourself somewhere you never expected to be.

Thanks for bringing it up. It is something we should think about. It can never be a bad idea to spring for the extra bucks.

I went on NCL to Bermuda with my then 14 yo daughter. She looked so much older the agent at the check in advised us to get a passport if she was thinking of cruising again before she received her picture drivers license. We got the passport to be safe since we did cruise again the next year.

Unless you plan additional international travel within the next couple years (or need the freedom to travel at a moment's notice), the passport doesn't make sense financially.

Having traveled extensively with both types of ID, I assure you that the passport will not help you through customs faster. I've stood in customs lines for an hour; I've breezed through customs in minutes. I've had customs officials who barely glanced at me and my documents; I've had customs officials who questioned me about my birthdate, etc. I think a good bit of it is luck of the draw.

Disclaimer -- Some people with unusual circumstances would do well to get the passports. For example, people who are naturalized citizens, people who have internationally adopted children or children with different last names, etc.

BUT thorughout the world a passport is the one, recognized legal document stating that you are a citizen of a country.

Well said skigirl....and most defintely, I have decided to get one for that reason. I never thought of it in that way! (I think we as Americans have a tendency to forget that yes, there is the rest of the world out there and we do live in one of the best countries in the world)

Thanks everyone!

So my next question is...how much does it run you to get one? And, how do I go about getting it updated in May with my married name? And what do you have to do to get one?

We are kicking around the idea of getting our passports since we'll be traveling to Jamaica in October :D

But since we're also going on the cruise in May, we thought it might be useful for both trips.

Your going to apply for passports for THIS October???? :eek: Thats cutting it pretty close! Passports take anywhere from 4-6 weeks, sure some have gotten them back in 2-3 weeks, but no guaranty on that. You could expidite the process for an additional fee (?$$$?) When you apply, you will need to send your original BC with the application, leaving you with nothing until your new passports arrive :eek: Just thought you should be aware of this.

I'm a definite vote on passports...much faster - no questions asked! :)

Good luck!

I can tell you that more islands in the Caribbean will in the future be requiring guests of ships to have a passport (right now just Barbadoes), at least that is what we've been told.

Barbados only requires a passport if you fly or begin/end a cruise there. Passengers on ships for the day are exempted.

That's interesting. They definitely, positively, had two lines in Fort Lauderdale when we disembarked from our Radiance cruise this past January, and I believe, the August before when we disembarked from Miami, although my memory's not so certain on that one. Maybe your son and his wife just went along with the group.

I usually see two lines, but not for passport/non passport. I almost always see separate lines for citizens/non-citizens

Your going to apply for passports for THIS October???? :eek: Thats cutting it pretty close! Passports take anywhere from 4-6 weeks, sure some have gotten them back in 2-3 weeks, but no guaranty on that. You could expidite the process for an additional fee (?$$$?) When you apply, you will need to send your original BC with the application, leaving you with nothing until your new passports arrive :eek: Just thought you should be aware of this.

I'm a definite vote on passports...much faster - no questions asked! :)

Good luck!

Holy ****! Damn! Think I can get it by Oct. 17th?

I usually see two lines, but not for passport/non passport. I almost always see separate lines for citizens/non-citizens
There definitely, positively, was a separate line for US citizens with passports when we disembarked from Radiance. From personal experience, I can't say other than that.

We live in Michigan and have always gone back and forth to Canada. It has always been like going up north or down south in the USA. Canada has been a wonderful neighbor. Since 9/11 things have changed. Now when we go across the border we take our passports. Not that it is needed but much easier for the border patrol. Passports are now, sad to say, the new ID. IMHO, get a passport.

Holy ****! Damn! Think I can get it by Oct. 17th?
Christina, relax. We have a major Passport Office right here in Philadelphia. Call them first thing Monday morning and they will tell you how to get your passport quickly. http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_pa.html

Carol

(we applied for ours at the Ardmore Post Office, without requesting any special handling, and had them in less than a week!)

We've caught flack crossing to and back from Canada in both Detroit and Bellingham, WA. Each time we attempted without a passport we were lectured trying to come back into the country.

As far as cruising goes...I feel that it's much easier to carry 1 form of ID as opposed to your BC and State ID.

I too have seen seperate lines for US passport carriers.

It's a smart investment...over the long term.

How does using a passport at the airport help you move through faster?

Since we normally travel as a family there are four of us and four passports opened, and stacked one on top of another, so all the agent has to do is look at the pic and look at the person. Highly efficient at check in and boarding.

Archived