Canadian Prices?

HorrorFan

As you can see from my countdown clock below, I recently booked a 10 day Panama cruise in 2009. Can't wait.

Anyway, I was wondering if any other Canadians here noticed the price difference from Canadian to US $. The cruise is costing us $250 pp more than the US price. Rather odd when you consider that the Canadian $ is (lately) worth more than the US $, or at least VERY close.

Just an observation.

There wee lots of psot on this a few months ago. There alos were a few cruise wear the CDN was equal. A few opttions. Pay in US funds. Also if you are a C&A member the coupons are generaly worht more in CDN dollars so do the math and the homework.

It's usually better to book/pay in US dollars. You can be taking a bit of a chance if you are too far out but we find it worth it. Haven't paid is Canadian for a long time. I always advise my clients to book in US.

It's ridiculous the amount they are charging to pay in US when our dollar is basically par.

RCI adjusts it's prices regularly so the spread between the currencies is pretty close to market when you book. Although the dollar is almost par (99.xx this morning); that exchange rate would only apply to mega transactions so you need to factor in a couple of percentage points discount to arrive at a normal transaction rate.

We generally book in USDs but do check before we book to see what rate they are offering in Cda dollars and then make our decision. RCI is also very fair when it comes to price adjustments; e.g. we booked our Jan. 08 cruise in May 06 with Cda dollars; a price drop of $600.00 USD was offered in June 07; RCI credited us $800 CDA; which equalled the spread in the dollar when we booked as opposed to the spread in the dollar in June 07. Now that's fair treatment.

It's just so nice that our dollar is doing so well these days! Let's hope it continues!:D

Kathy

I'll talk to our TA and see if there is anything we can do now. It might be too late since I already put the deposit in Canadian. Maybe pay the balance in US? I'll find out anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback. This is the greatest place for information. :)

I'll talk to our TA and see if there is anything we can do now. It might be too late since I already put the deposit in Canadian. Maybe pay the balance in US? I'll find out anyway.

I think it's too late. I now book all my cruises in USD. Last year I was booked in CDN $ and wanted to switch to USD and was told you must pay the balance in the currency you made the initial booking in.

Tell your TA to call RCI resolutions and have your booking changed from CDN to US dollars. It shouldn't be a problem if they get the right agent.

I did it for my upcoming AOS cruise a few months ago when the price difference was becoming ridiculous. Not only that, the deposit is much lower in U.S. dollars then CDN.

If there is a problem, just cancel and rebook. You are still far enough out that it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck.

RCI adjusts it's prices regularly so the spread between the currencies is pretty close to market when you book. Although the dollar is almost par (99.xx this morning); that exchange rate would only apply to mega transactions so you need to factor in a couple of percentage points discount to arrive at a normal transaction rate.

We generally book in USDs but do check before we book to see what rate they are offering in Cda dollars and then make our decision. RCI is also very fair when it comes to price adjustments; e.g. we booked our Jan. 08 cruise in May 06 with Cda dollars; a price drop of $600.00 USD was offered in June 07; RCI credited us $800 CDA; which equalled the spread in the dollar when we booked as opposed to the spread in the dollar in June 07. Now that's fair treatment.

It's just so nice that our dollar is doing so well these days! Let's hope it continues!:D

Kathy

I am going on a TA cruise in April which I booked about three weeks ago. The cost of a JS was and still is $2399US and $2769 CDN. That is more than a 15% price difference. The spread certainly doesn't begin to match that.

It's ridiculous how much they are gouging the Canadian consumer who doesn't realize they can book in US. Even with the small amount that is charged and the real amount that one gets it's no where near 15%.

Ok, stupid question here. How would I pay in US$ ?

When you are looking at cruises on RC's web site just change the currency on the left side in the Modify column to US dollars using the down arrow or ask the RC agent on the phone or your TA for the US dollar pricing.

We booked a cruise thru our TA in March 2007 with final payment in early August 2007 in cdn $. Our cruise was for Sept 27. After checking prices in RCI site, we considered that we were getting riped off. So we phoned directly RCI in Miami and 2 days later, we were advised that a credit for 600 $ CDN was deposited in our creditcard. RCI is very honest.

JP

Update. I just got off the phone with my TA. She is re-booking my cruise. I will keep the same room and I am saving aprox. 14%, $720.00...(less the exchange fee the credit card charges, maybe 3%).

That'll pay all the tips and buy a lot of drinks besides. :D

YAHOO!

Update. I just got off the phone with my TA. She is re-booking my cruise. I will keep the same room and I am saving aprox. 14%, $720.00...(less the exchange fee the credit card charges, maybe 3%).

YAHOO!

Enjoy the trip! BTW theres a couple threads about charging onboard accounts in USD versus CAD (a current one on the Celebrity board comes to mind), you may want to read on those to try and avoid extra conversion costs for your shipboard charges.

Thanks Smoothy. It'll be that much more enjoyable now. lol

Oh, I saw those threads. Great information.

These cruises aren't cheap vacations (but I'm hooked), so anything that can be done to make them a bit more affordable is great.

YAHOO!

Good going!!

Kathy:)

Archived