Specialty restaurants

missty

Do we or don't we tip extra for the specialty restaurants? Does it depend if it is a "paid" restaurant? Does the "fee" cover the tip? I know we are wanting to try Cagneys, and a few of the other places when we sail on the Gem in May. If we tip extra, and its not part of the "pooled, automatic tips" do we give them at the time we eat? Or at the end of the cruise?

Missty

Do we or don't we tip extra for the specialty restaurants? Does it depend if it is a "paid" restaurant? Does the "fee" cover the tip? I know we are wanting to try Cagneys, and a few of the other places when we sail on the Gem in May. If we tip extra, and its not part of the "pooled, automatic tips" do we give them at the time we eat? Or at the end of the cruise?

Missty

You are not REQUIRED to tip extra in any of the specialty restaurants. However, if you feel the service deserves it, feel free to tip additionally. You would give this tip at the conclusion of your meal... just like in a restaurant back home.

You are not REQUIRED to tip extra in any of the specialty restaurants. However, if you feel the service deserves it, feel free to tip additionally. You would give this tip at the conclusion of your meal... just like in a restaurant back home.

Great thanks! Just want to make sure we do things right.

missty

Their policy is clear. Tipping is allowed but entirely optional. I took 6 bottles of wine on board (paid the $15 corkage fee/bottle), and when I took one of them to a restaurant, I added a tip equivalent to what it seemed they would get if I ordered a bottle of the same value from their wine list. I was surprised to see that when I did this, after I got my billing, I could see the oiriginal charge, without tip, then a reversal of the charge, then the new charge with the tip added. So they charge your cabin account before they bring you the receipt to sign.

That indicates to me that they expect few tips to be added to the bills.

Archived