Condition of soft goods in Millennium staterooms?

elena7seas

Does anyone have any recent pictures of cabins on the Millennium? We have booked Sky Suite 8117 and a CC cabin 8100 on deck 8 for an upcoming cruise, and I was wondering if the carpeting, drapery and upholstery had been upgraded.

We were in CC cabins on deck 8 on the Millennium after she came out of dry dock last April, and the soft goods, other than the bedding, were rather grim in our staterooms. My family and I can live with it, but I'd like to invite friends to join us; however, I will hold back the invitation if the soft goods are in the same shape as they were last spring. It wouldn't be a great introduction to Celebrity for our friends, as they are used to fine quality accommodations. Celebrity provides a great product, but they have let the cabin appointments drop below an acceptable level for a "premium" cruise line, IMHO. The new bedding is great, but the other soft goods are not. The old drapery, upholstery and carpeting, and the new bedding don't coordinate either, so the cabins just weren't classy.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with Cabin 8100 on the Millennium? I have read allusions to difficulties on the "problem cabin" thread, but no details.

I just got off Millie on last Sunday and can’t really say for the cabins you’re asking about. We were in CC6143 one cabin away from the PH on deck 6 and soft goods in our cabin were in better than expected shape. The couch looked like it had just recently was recovered or replaced. Like you said the bedding was new and very comfortable. The carpet was a little worn but not bad and the drapery was clean and in good shape. We’ve had the same room on the other 3 M-Class ships and the style of the carpet and drapery was the same so it has not been updated lately and is not a good match in style with the bedding. I would say that the soft goods in this cabin, outside a little more wear in the carpet was at least on par with other M-Ships if not better.

Our towels and bathroom floor mat didn’t match in color like they should in a CC class cabin. The bathroom floor mat was pink and never chanced and the towels would be light green, green and pink combination and on second to last day of the cruise were finally all the same color. :rolleyes:

The wear that was more noticeable on the ship was the hardware not the soft goods. Our balcony furniture was looking bad and more rust, unfinished surfaces were noticed than any other Celebrity ship we have sailed. The ship does need a little TLC but it’s not as bad as some of the posts suggest.

We did enjoy our cruise on Millie.:)

Hi Ecruiser:

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it. It's great to hear that the sofas have been reupholstered or replaced.

Did the new upholstery tie into the old colour scheme or the new bedding? In our cabin on the Panorama deck, the bedding was white/ochre/taupe with burnt orange/burgundy details on the decorative bed pillows and a taupe bedskirt. I think the carpet and the rest of the soft goods were in aqua and peach tones, with some pinky-beige. Taken altogether, it wasn't a lovely look :(.

We love Celebrity, and the staterooms are comfortable, with lots of storage, but they don't look as good as they should.

We have always travelled CC, and the towels in the bathrooms have always alternated between pink and green. The bathmats have been pink or green although not necessarily matching the towel of the day.

On the Millennium, there were quite a few bleach spots on the towels, and several frayed edges and holes. Honestly, I would not put those towels in my bathrooms...once they are in that shape at home, they become service cloths :o .

(We travelled on the Serenade of the Seas this past November, and the ship was beautiful. Our aft D1 cabin was lovely...fully coordinated and in very good shape. The carpeting and drapery were very tasteful...no horses on those drapes!)

It's a little sad, because Celebrity is such a good line in other respects. But our friends travel on Oceania and Holland America, and I know those cabins are in much better shape. Until Celebrity spiffs things up a bit in the staterooms, I can't really suggest our friends try Celebrity, because I think they'll be disappointed in their staterooms, and then I'll feel terrible for suggesting they invest their vacation dollars there.

I thought the soft goods were in great shape. MOST of the carpeting on the ship has been replaced recently. The only carpeting that I noticed that was consistently matted was the corridors. My cabin appeared that to have the desk chair, sofa and perhaps carpet replaced recently. The drapery had not, and yes, there were black marks on the back from the door. I only looked because of all the comments on here. I would normally look, and quite honestly, I don't care.

I don't understand the comments regarding color towels/bathrooms. I have always had ecru colored towels. None had wholes, and were quite fluffy.

Yes, the ship is 8 years old (or more) and it doesn't sparkle the way it did when it was new. Nor can you compare it to newer ships. However, I don't see how it can possibly detract from the cruise.

I do agree that some of the balcony furnishing as well as other outdoor furnishings could use sprucing up.

I posted a review in this forum from my sailing 1/6/-13. I believe I posted it on the 13th or 14th. If you want to take a look at it, there are many pictures where you can see area of the ship for yourself.

The color scheme of the soft goods in our cabin was the same as you described and not well matching. As for the bathroom set in past CC cabins we have seen the color of the towels and the floor mat change each day but match. The towels seemed to be faded slightly but in good shape.

As far as your friends go you will be the best judge but I think a CC class cabin looks better than a standard balcony on HAL but not as good as a SS class cabin. I feel the service and food is better on Celebrity vs. HAL so it matters most what they prefer. Oceania is really a set above both so I’m not sure it would compare.

We really enjoy Celebrity the best for value but Millie was for some reason a little more off their normal standards then other =X= cruises we have had. Still good but just not great.:cool:

We always had the pink towels and bathmat. That must have been the aesthetic sense of our steward, Salome.

The bedding was new, but the carpeting seemed fairly worn to me. Furniture in public spaces could be rather stained (Ocean Cafe) and/or frayed (Martini Bar). It's still a lovely ship; it just needs a bit of refurbishment.

Wasn't Salome great? I loved her smile and I miss hearing her "Meester Joe, Meester Dave...how are you today?"

Did you also have Nelson as your Butler? What a caring person he is!

There were so many great employees on the Millie. I so firmly believe that the crew and fellow passengers are what make a cruise to great!

Salome was fabulous. Butler, what butler? ;) We were in 6136, one of the CC cabins wedged in amongst the suites. Salome did bring us treats from the butler's tea carts and once added to my wife's breakfast order because she thought she should have some toast with her eggs!

Dave (or Joe :) )....

Great to hear that most of your soft goods had been updated.

Thanks so much for your reply. Your review was great, and I went through ALL of your pictures twice. I love your attitude and would be happy to have you both at our dinner table any time. I agree with you that the people that you meet on Celebrity really add to the quality of your cruise experience.

The Millie is a lovely ship...I'm just a little hypersensitive about fabrics and design details as my life is full of interior designers. I think a line like Celebrity should have a standard that they don't let the ships fall below. But for ourselves, it wouldn't bother us...we so enjoy the service and the overall ambiance on Millennium class ships. And I've never looked for marks behind the curtains (tee hee).

Xcruiser....

We like Celebrity the best too. I just wish they would put a little more effort into the stateroom soft goods, especially since they have redone the bedding. (I have to say, though, that's I'm really worried about the quality of the fabric in the quilted throws in the new bedding ensemble...I know my fabrics, and I don't think that material is going to stand up...but that's just my opinion).

Of the three Celebrity ships I've sailed, I found Millie the most wanting of some TLC...mostly in the staterooms, and the chairs in the main dining room. She is the oldest of the Millennium class, so it's about time Celebrity did the necessary upgrades. But none of that affects our enjoyment of the cruise.

I do agree that the staff on the Millie last April was amazing. I was travelling with my daughter, without my husband, and our steward Rodney was so kind and caring, I wanted to take him home. And Daniel the Concierge (from Brazil), went over and above what could have been expected of him when we found out that my mother-in-law had died on our last day at sea. He did everything in his power to help us get back to Canada for the funeral, but with plane connections, etc. it just wasn't possible. But it wasn't for lack of Daniel and other Celebrity staffers trying to help.

Thanks again, everyone, for your posts. All were very helpful.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one. I can't imagine being out and sea and getting such news.

Design? Now that is something I totally agree on. I'm eager to sail Solstice because, for once, the design pushes the envelope, so to speak without the gaudiness I have seen apparent in many of X's competitors.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one. I can't imagine being out and sea and getting such news.

Design? Now that is something I totally agree on. I'm eager to sail Solstice because, for once, the design pushes the envelope, so to speak without the gaudiness I have seen apparent in many of X's competitors.

Thanks for your kind words. It was a total shock, as she was very healthy, and her parents had each lived to be one hundred years old. But the Celebrity staff were amazing.

I'm watching the Solstic being revealed with great interest. I'm guessing that much of what we're seeing is computer generated, and that the reality will be somewhat different. So far, I like the look of the cabins, but am not loving the carpets. But there has been a trend to what I think are unpleasant, "clunky" geometrics in carpeting in commercial design in the last few years. The sad truth is that these designs don't age well. I'm hoping that the carpets are more aesthetically pleasing than the Solstice pictures indicate.

I am also interested to see if the upholstery on the dining chairs in Blu really is white!!:p

My husband and daughter are both interior designers, and I went to design school as well...design is a topic I find endlessly fascinating.

Which ships do you like the best for design and decor? We were just on the Serenade of the Seas, and for the most part, she was a lovely ship. She has so much glass that you are always aware that you are on the ocean. I really loved the Constellation as well. When we were on her 2005, everything was in very good condition, although I've never loved the bedspreads and drapery in any Celebrity staterooms. The new hotel-style bedding is a great improvement...they just have to finish the job with the rest of the items.

I like a ship to look like a ship, not like Las Vegas. Neon, glitz and pulsating colours just jangle my nerves. I'm holding out great hopes for Solstice.

Does anyone have any recent pictures of cabins on the Millennium? We have booked Sky Suite 8117 and a CC cabin 8100 on deck 8 for an upcoming cruise, and I was wondering if the carpeting, drapery and upholstery had been upgraded.

We were in CC cabins on deck 8 on the Millennium after she came out of dry dock last April, and the soft goods, other than the bedding, were rather grim in our staterooms. My family and I can live with it, but I'd like to invite friends to join us; however, I will hold back the invitation if the soft goods are in the same shape as they were last spring. It wouldn't be a great introduction to Celebrity for our friends, as they are used to fine quality accommodations. Celebrity provides a great product, but they have let the cabin appointments drop below an acceptable level for a "premium" cruise line, IMHO. The new bedding is great, but the other soft goods are not. The old drapery, upholstery and carpeting, and the new bedding don't coordinate either, so the cabins just weren't classy.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with Cabin 8100 on the Millennium? I have read allusions to difficulties on the "problem cabin" thread, but no details.

They were equally grim in our Stateroom in October 2007, stained, worn and "bally" Cabin 6033

Hi, we usually choose balcony rooms when we cruise. Howeve, we are looking to pay less and go for an ovenview. Has anyone stayed in an oceanview on the Continental or Plaza decks? We can't do an inside room, so I wonder if the ocean views are ok.

Thanks in advance!

I am not a designer by any stretch, but I do appreciate what I think is good design. Of course, it is what "I think" so it's very subjective.

My company runs hotels that are very fashion forward. No, they aren't modern (not most, anyway). Most of our hotels have won design awards. Naturally, I lean towards these designs.

Having said that, I believe the Solstice really draws closer in design to our hotels than anything I have seen on a ship. Like you said, it is not the old Vegas style design with neon, brass, glass, etc. I like the clean lines, muted tones, and even the white chairs. I especially like that the cabins have a feeling of a nice hotel room versus a ship cabin.

Some have posted regarding the white chairs. Two comments come to mind: Rarely have I seen someone on here post about cleanliness. Most of the posts that are relative to the ship's condition. With that in mind, the white will be harder to keep clean. However, I believe a leather, pleather or faux leather chair will not wear as quickly as an upholstered chair.

Let's cross our fingers and hope the actual design looks as good as the renderings. One more thing--at this stage, I would be surprised to see a major change versus the virtual reality renderings. The ships is supposed to be released to X sometime in September/October, which is only 7 months away. Lead time for fabrics, materials, construction, etc. is much too long to make a change now and have it installed and ready for October.

Hi, we usually choose balcony rooms when we cruise. Howeve, we are looking to pay less and go for an ovenview. Has anyone stayed in an oceanview on the Continental or Plaza decks? We can't do an inside room, so I wonder if the ocean views are ok.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't recommend an OVENview regardless of price as the kitchen can get very noisy at times. :eek: :D ;)

I have stayed in an Oceanview on the plaza deck midship on Century and that was very nice but I still prefer the balcony rooms.

We just got off the Millie a couple of weeks ago in cabin 9114. The cabin furnishings were fine. The towels, bathmat, shower curtain were IMO abysmal. Everyday the towels had the largest collection of bleach stains I have ever seen. They would have been relegated to my garage for car washing rags long ago.

Now before I start to feel the flames beneath my seat.... this did in no way diminish my overall enjoyment of the cruise.

Why would anyone flame you? I appreciate your honest comments. The only time I get irritated with comments is when someone acts like the marks on the back of their cabin drapes ruined their entire cruise. :D

Why would anyone flame you? I appreciate your honest comments. The only time I get irritated with comments is when someone acts like the marks on the back of their cabin drapes ruined their entire cruise. :D

Yes, I agree. One day I was having way to much fun so I looked for the much reviewed spots on the back of your drapes…didn’t find any so the fun continued into the late night.:D

Dave and Joe, sorry I didn’t get a chance to talk with Salome or Nelson to say hi from you guys, we didn’t have ether of them.:o

And yes despite the condition of the towels and non-matching colors and the lack of spots on our drapes…we still managed to have a good time.:)

On a related, but slightly different tack, does anyone know if the duvets/bedspreads are freshly laundered or replaced between each cruise? While I'm not a cleanliness freak, I'd like to think we have a clean bed cover.

There are no duvets.....there is a decorative throw (more like a quilt). It is taken off during turn down and replaced in the mornings when they make the bed.

Mine was certainly laundered when I checked in, but it was not during my stay, which is quite normal.

• 2 weeks later...
There are no duvets.....there is a decorative throw (more like a quilt). It is taken off during turn down and replaced in the mornings when they make the bed.

Mine was certainly laundered when I checked in, but it was not during my stay, which is quite normal.

Hi NPS...

There is something that Celebrity refers to as a "duvet" on the beds...it feels like a cotton "duvet" as opposed to a down or down substitute "duvet"...the material is sort of firmer and more compact than what you'd expect in a regular duvet (as we understand them in North America). This "duvet" is covered with a good quality white cover. At the bottom of the bed is the coloured "decorative throw" that is usually folded and placed on the bottom third of the bed. It's handy to snuggle under if you're taking a nap or reading in the afternoon.

The white duvet cover was sparkling clean when we boarded, and stayed that way during our cruise. I wouldn't have expected them to change the duvet cover during the cruise unless it was required...but I'm sure they would have changed it if it was necessary. The decorative throw also looked brand new, so I'm sure it was freshly laundered as well.

The staterooms have always been very, very clean, even if some of the soft goods were getting worn.

We were just in FV8181 on the Millie (Disembarked 2-3).

The carpet was worn, but OK. The bed was new and the duvet was not as heavy as the ones on RCI. We had decent white towels every day in the bathroom.

Now, the ugly green, beat up, worn and old sofas in the "living room" should have been trashed and replaced long ago. Some of our fellow roll call CCers said the same thing about the sofas in their cabins.

Archived