RCCL vs. Princess for Spring Break - Price difference?

We are booked on the Mariner for Spring Break. Fortunately we booked way in advance as the prices have nearly doubled since then. I've noticed specials for the Carribean Princess for the same week and same Eastern itinerary for bargain basement pricing (under $700 for an outside.)

We're not jumping ship (especially since we're past final payment) but I'd love some theories as to why one ship is nearly full and the other is giving away the cabins, especially at a peak time.

Both are newer ships and have decent kids programs. Having sailed on both cruise lines and from reviews I have read here, I think the products are similar - so why the difference in pricing for the same date/itin?

And yes, I have already thought of "Cuz RCCL is obviously far superior ;)" but figured there just might be more to it than that.

Anyone have a theory?

I think RCCL has a strong "Family" rep than Princess - based on ship activites, kids programs, etc. Of course there will be kids on Princess and couples without kids on RCCL but if you were to ask to rank 'em, I think most would put RCCL higher on the "family" list. I love Princess and would go back in a heart beat. Sometimes it's a supply deman thing - Carb Princess is a large boat - might be greater precentage of open cabins vs a smaller ship on RCCL.

Sometimes it's a supply deman thing - Carb Princess is a large boat - might be greater precentage of open cabins vs a smaller ship on RCCL.
Actually the Mariner is larger than Caribbean Princess.

I noticed that also, NCL, Carnival & Princess are all selling eastern cruises the same dates as our FOS for considerably less. RCI must be selling them or they wouldn't have them priced as high as they do. I'm glad I booked early (692 days early). I got one price drop and since them up up up. To book the same cabin for 3, if there were any available, would cost me an extra $2,200.00 over what I paid!:eek: I consider the ship to be a destination and can see a bit of a premium for the Freedom, but that's a big difference.

I think that the Mariner might attract a younger crowd than the Caribbean Princess especially during periods like Spring Break. The difference in prices might well reflect that and indicate that RCI is having less problems filling the Mariner than Princess is having with the Caribbean Princess. Price differences frequently reveal supply and demand issues. If RCI couldn't fill its ships at the prices it is charging, you can be sure that they would quickly adjust those prices lower.:)

Two more possible reasons.

1. Royal Caribbean has a less strict age policy. Princess restricts the number of passengers under the age of 18, and agressivly monitors and controls their actions onboard to create a better overall cruise experience for all passengers.

2. Royal Caribbean is overpriced? or Princess is underpriced.

1. Royal Caribbean has a less strict age policy. Princess restricts the number of passengers under the age of 18, and agressivly monitors and controls their actions onboard to create a better overall cruise experience for all passengers.

Excellent points:)

As a teen cruiser I would disagree with your first point. The drinking age on both ships is 21. There is a curfew on RCCL and not on Princess. Also, RCCL just has security guards who aren't always the friendliest while Princess has Youth Security which consists of cool young adults mostly in their 20's who are very lax as long as you aren't being obnoxious. To my knowledge Princess doesn't limit the number of children on board, on my Caribbean Princess cruise 980 out of the 3100 passengers were under 18. (I actually prefer Princess)

As to the OP's question, I would say the reason is the lower catagories probably filled up quickly on RCCL. These two cruises are usually pretty close in price, so as the sailing date approaches it is likely that the "economy" cabins are filled on the one ship, while some remain on the other.

Archived