Docking in Alaska Ports

kzmama

Is there a site that lists which dock each ship will be using in the ports?

Yes, it is www.cruisecal.com but they have not loaded the dock sites yet. They do however have how many ships are in port the same time as you are. So just keeping looking for those dock site. I know I am also waiting.

Marilyn

Is there a site that lists which dock each ship will be using in the ports?

Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska usually lists the berthing assignments later in February. You can look now and see what other ships will be in port with you then later this month, hopefully we'll be able to see the docking and/or tendering assignments.

http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html

As a crew member who has job-related access to the bridge, I can offer this much information about the "dock" assignment.

If you are inquiring about which specific Berth, i.e. in a port where there are more than one "dock" and where more than one ship visits on any given day, that is determined by the Pilot who takes the ship into port.

Having said that, there are (for example, in Skagway), some ships that just won't fit at the dock at the end of 2nd, where all the painted rocks are, and where it is more shallow, therefore they are "permanently" asssigned to the Broadway dock. Which "spot" on the Broadway dock is determined by a number of things:

size of ship and draught

# of passengers and are they docking or tendering

time of arrival and time of departure.

Consider two ships coming in "tomorrow."

Ship A comes in at 7am and leaves at 7pm.

Ship B comes in at 12pm and leaves at 10pm.

Ship A, by virtue of being first, does not "get" the "best spot" or "closest" spot as we might think.

Rather Ship A will get the furthest out spot because when it leaves at 7pm, it's departure maneuvering will not disturb Ship B's last two hours.

The average guest does not "know" this prior to arrival and many times I've had to explain this to guests who ask "why didn't WE get to dock closer, we got here first?"

Lastly, on several occasions, we were told the night before of our "spot" but the pilots changed it upon arrival (as early as 4am) because of some other consideration that called for a last-minute change. It is up to the port, really.

If it is a matter of really serious concern, you could always ask the shore ex desk, who SHOULD know the berth as they do have to communicate with the bus people, or if you happen to spot a ship's Bridge Officer roaming about, they might also be able to tell you.

You can still visit cruisecal.com, but printed information is ALWAYS susceptible to change. Especially in the mobile world of shipping.

Happy Cruising~!!

about me:

former crew member:

8 different cruise lines (contract-based)

lived in:

Skagway 6 months

Izmir Turkey 2 years

sailed itineraries:

Alaska and coastal California (1997, 2003, 2006)

Bahamas (1996, 1999)

Caribbean (1996, 1997, 1999, 2003)

Panama Canal (1997, 2003, 2007)

Europe (2000, 2001, 2007)

Mediterannean (2000, 2001, 2007)

Canada/Greenland/Iceland (2007)

Mexico (1996, 1997, 2000, 2003)

Costa Rica (2007)

Virgin Islands and southern caribbean (2006, 2007)

Upcoming itineraries:

undecided..... Alaska again (but on a train) or Europe again (on a ship)

Archived