Cell phone use around Hawaii

AlohaCruiser

I have Sprint too. It worked most places in Maui, but we were on roaming in South Kona. I haven't visited Kauai. I looked at the Sprint coverage map, and it looks like there's coverage in all the islands you're visiting--it's just a question of where in the island you are.

http://activate.sprintpcs.com/maps/mkt/large/Hawaii_HI.gif

I must say I didn't make many calls in Hawaii; we were on our honeymoon. I don't use it much at home, either. You might as well bring it along, because you never know if you need it. :)

it's just a question of where in the island you are.

. :)

I agree....even living here, there are parts of Oahu where I do not get a signal...just think that if there are no houses around (sometimes at a beach, waterfall, nature park) there might not be a signal.....in a city, near port etc....probably a signal.

Mine (AT&T) works in most places around the islands. But for instance to and from Kona to Waimea to work - there are several places that I lose "air" (as I call it). It seems like the places where it would be the worse places to break down or something (out in the middle of nowhere) are the places you don't get signal....*smile*

Emi

• 4 weeks later...

We have Sprint PCS and were on Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Kauai and the only place we had no coverage was up on the north shore of Kauai - everywhere else we had great coverage. At sea - well we never tried until we were about an hour out from port, but we had coverage there as well. I definitely wouldn't leave home without my Sprint PCS phone. It's sooooo much fun to lounge on the beach and call home to tell everyone all about it. :D

I had some trouble while on the ship and had to go up top to make a call, but everywhere on shore worked fine.

One thing that I did notice was that my battery would run down quickly. I would charge it overnight and it would die only after about an hour. I thought I had a battery that was going dead. Once we got to our hotel in Honolulu, I charged it up and it kept a charge fine. Maybe something about the ship and the steel caused the battery to work harder. :confused:

What about ship to shore service while on Hawaii cruise. I'm thinking that a cell might be handy if ship's schedule changes and port excursions would need to be notified.
I called one of our hired excursion operators to confirm the pickup time. I was able to reach him. For some reason, I took my phone with us. As we were waiting for our driver, my phone rings and it is the driver telling me that he cannot find a parking spot. He is circling and I tell him we are already off the ship and to describe his limo. I see him and wave him down. Happy ending.:)

Archived