Cabin Advice

Glenrie

My husband, daughter (21) and I are booked on the Golden to Hawaii in December. Yea! We love balconies and I tend to sleep on them. We have our choice of E722 or E728. Any preference?

Thanks.

E728 has a bigger balcony and my vote. These mini suites have covered balconies. The only possibly draw back is if you get "strong" winds coming from the rear of the ship it may be a bit windy for you to enjoy the balcony until the winds slow down.

If you plan to sleep on your balcony on the way to Hawaii, you may need a very large pile of blankets for sure. Even at the end of March last year on that same cruise, we were not able to use our balcony much, because the ship's speed added to the prevailing winds across the Pacific make for a very stiff breeze! Also, Hawaii is still in the Northern Hemisphere and sailing across the Pacific in December can be decidedly chilly. Not only that. When they hose off the decks up top in the very early morning, some of the water flies down to the balconies below, whethered fully covered or not, and you could be in for a cold shower from above when you least expect it!:D

You could also wind up with cigarette butts from above you flying in. Sorry to be a realist... been there!:eek:

If you plan to sleep on your balcony on the way to Hawaii, you may need a very large pile of blankets for sure. Even at the end of March last year on that same cruise, we were not able to use our balcony much, because the ship's speed added to the prevailing winds across the Pacific make for a very stiff breeze! Also, Hawaii is still in the Northern Hemisphere and sailing across the Pacific in December can be decidedly chilly. Not only that. When they hose off the decks up top in the very early morning, some of the water flies down to the balconies below, whether fully covered or not, and you could be in for a cold shower from above when you least expect it!:D

You could also wind up with cigarette butts from above you flying in. Sorry to be a realist... been there!:eek:

As a former smoker ... I do not recall it being THAT big of a deal finding an ashtray in certain places where it would seem more important.

Are you saying that some moron actually stomps his cigarettes out on the promenade deck of a cruise ship?!

As a former smoker ... I do not recall it being THAT big of a deal finding an ashtray in certain places where it would seem more important.

Are you saying that some moron actually stomps his cigarettes out on the promenade deck of a cruise ship?!

I think they are saying that "Some moron" would just flick it over the side.....

From what I've read and heard (I've been keeping watch since we're in AD mini's on the Crown this summer), you might want to go with E722. The reason is that the band and loudspeakers in Club Fusion are directly below E728. There have been reports of noise from there late into the night. I agree with the others that it might be too chilly the first couple of days out of San Pedro and the last two days returning to sleep outside. The water temperature will still be pretty darned chilly and the ship will be moving at over 20k, generating a bit of wind chill.

I would tend to pick E728 because you have a quiet hall on one side of the cabin, possibly the cabin will be above the back side of the stage and one less balcony next door with possible smokers unless you happen to be a smoker. E728 would be ideal if you are out and about on the ship until late at night. If truth be known I wouldn't pick any cabin above the Vista Lounge but that wasn't the question.

I think they are saying that "Some moron" would just flick it over the side.....

Gotta be honest; gave up balconies after having butts (some lit some not), smoke and ashes on my stuff and in my eyes. There was one guy on my last cruise tossing lit butts off the non-smoking side of the Promenade. Only one; to be fair, not a widespread problem; so I figured he wasn't too bright. More likely than not it wouldn't be a problem, because as you say a person would have to be a moron to toss over a lit butt, and most people are smart enough to use an ashtray and put it out. Still, since you don't know who's up there I wouldn't sleep on a balcony unless there was no one above!

Gotta be honest; gave up balconies after having butts (some lit some not), smoke and ashes on my stuff and in my eyes. There was one guy on my last cruise tossing lit butts off the non-smoking side of the Promenade. Only one; to be fair, not a widespread problem; so I figured he wasn't too bright. More likely than not it wouldn't be a problem, because as you say a person would have to be a moron to toss over a lit butt, and most people are smart enough to use an ashtray and put it out. Still, since you don't know who's up there I wouldn't sleep on a balcony unless there was no one above!

We were on Holland's Ryndam to Mexico in Dec and didn't have any cigarette issues. Does Princess have more smokers who have issues? The balconies on Emerald are covered so it did occur to my that things would come flying from above. The worst I had on the Ryndam was waking to a bird on me. lol (Not funny at the time)

I'm not seeing Club Fusion on the Golden. We're above the Vista showroom and the promenade deck.

Ok after taking into account everyone's comments and checking the open cabins one more time....E719 is the winner!! Where did that come from you ask? Well while I was debating, the person who had 719 must have taken 729. With 719 being only having another balcony on one side, I thought that might alleviate the smoking issue.

Thanks for all your advice.

We are booking a balcony cabin on the emerald. Are the balcony sizes different on the different decks. It looks on pictures like higher balconies may be smaller. I am comparing Lido and Caribe deck BALCONIES .

Lido deck balcony sized 9 ft wide x 5 ft. deep with full ceiling cover. Caribe deck balcony is sized 9 ft. wide x 9 ft. deep with ceiling cover over the first 5 ft.

Baja deck, Riviera deck, Aloha deck balconies (located on side of ship, aft facing balconies are different sized) are sized the same as Lido.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

I have a question about cabin E718 & E719 on the Golden Princess with regards to the balcony ....

Do both sides of the balcony have a frosted pain or is the side that is bumped out open so that the people you can see anyone standing on the balcony? (hope that makes sense). I saw photos of one of the Princess ships where the first bumped out cabin only had the frosted panel on one side. The bumped out side as a short wall with railing, but open air look to it.

Archived