Playa Mia Beach Break

coboo

Mom and I have booked the Playa Mia Beach Break Deluxe through Carnival. I have been reading lots about it and I really appreciate all of the helpful posts, but I have not seen an answer to my mom's most burning questions: What do we do with our stuff if we both want to go in the water? Will it be safe at our chairs? Where do you keep your little bit of spending/tip money? What about your Sign and Sail card? Also, are there showers so we can wash up and and change before going back to the pier to shop before getting on the ship?

My mom and I vacation together at least once every two years, but this will be our first cruise together. I am so exited and want everything to be as perfect as possible. Because I am an obsessive planner these boards have been a lifesaver!! Thanks in advance for the great advice I know I am going to receive!

I hope someone else answers because I would like to hear some ideas too.

We bought a waterproof bag at a dive shop to tie around my waist in the water. It will probably be a pain to carry around but I couldn't think of a better idea. Also, we have underwater wallets that we bought at the dive shop. They hang around our necks like a necklace. We live in Florida so dive shops are easy to find. Depending on where you live, you may have to order online.

We were at Playa Mia in January 2006. I don't remember there being lockers; we didn't use them if they were there. Since we were there with our very young son, we swapped out who went in the water & who stayed on shore. We must have looked trustworthy, because the people next to us asked us to watch their stuff while they were in the water.

In all likelihood, your stuff will probably be safe at your chairs. I'm not sure that I'd leave my passport unattended, though. It's tough!

I think I might take a look on eBay for a dive bag or underwater wallet. If I can find a Canadian retailer, it might show up in time. Thanks for the idea!

DH & I leave our beach bag with sunscreen, glasses etc on the beach/chairs. Never had a problem but should there be we can survive without them.

We have the neck & waist / wrist waterproof bags for $'s & documents.

Cameras & camcorder are walked back to the car if we rented one & locked up, put in the lockers of the beach club, given to the staff (& tip them after)or have even asked other beach goers to watch over them.

Others have likewise asked us to watch their belongings.

It restores your faith in people & you can make many new friends....

eltigre:o

Thanks for the info. I am definately not a shy person and will strike up converstaions with those around me, so asking others to watch our stuff is right up my alley. Of course, I will reciprocate the kindness. We have a dive shop here in our small town and I am aquainted with the owners. I will drop in there and see what they have or can order.

As a side note, I asked my best friend what her husband uses as he is an avid wind surfer. I thought maybe I could borrow something from him. She told me a ziplock baggie. :eek: I, for some strange reason, just can't feel comfortable snorkling with a baggie.

Just a little more than 4 months to go!!

Mom and I have booked the Playa Mia Beach Break Deluxe through Carnival. I have been reading lots about it and I really appreciate all of the helpful posts, but I have not seen an answer to my mom's most burning questions: What do we do with our stuff if we both want to go in the water? Will it be safe at our chairs? Where do you keep your little bit of spending/tip money? What about your Sign and Sail card? Also, are there showers so we can wash up and and change before going back to the pier to shop before getting on the ship?

Hi, my daughter and I were at Playa Mia on January 30th. We did the Mexican Cuisine cooking school, which is in the middle of the premises, and took all but 30 or 40 mintues of our day there, but maybe I can answer a couple of questions. The premises are colorful and clean. A wild iguana was posing for us as we pulled up in the minivan taxi. There are shops as you walk through the entrance with tourist type goods and reasonable prices you can haggle about. I saw no venders on the beach, which is a PLUS! Restrooms and showers are located in a large building that looks fairly new and is on the right after you walk through the small shopping area. I THINK that on the exterior wall of the restroom building there are lockers. That was my impression looking from a distance, anyway. There is tenting over the larege open-air dining area which provides good shade. If you got the delux day, I believe that includes all your drinks, including sodas and purified water in sealed cups rather than bottles. The buffet is on the right side next to the front wall away from the beach. I didn't take a look. There were several people around to assist if you needed it. Most spoke English, and the rest may have as well. There is a small swimming pool, probably meant for children next to the eating area. There are chaises - something generally bodyshaped anyway - laying on the sand facing the beach for sun bathers. Because our time was so limited we didn't walk down to the other end nor get to take advantage of other on-site activities. If you haven't already, check out www.playamia.com

Take a hat and LOTS of sunscreen!

Linda in DFW

Hi, my daughter and I were at Playa Mia on January 30th. We did the Mexican Cuisine cooking school, which is in the middle of the premises, and took all but 30 or 40 mintues of our day there, but maybe I can answer a couple of questions. The premises are colorful and clean. A wild iguana was posing for us as we pulled up in the minivan taxi. There are shops as you walk through the entrance with tourist type goods and reasonable prices you can haggle about. I saw no venders on the beach, which is a PLUS! Restrooms and showers are located in a large building that looks fairly new and is on the right after you walk through the small shopping area. I THINK that on the exterior wall of the restroom building there are lockers. That was my impression looking from a distance, anyway. There is tenting over the larege open-air dining area which provides good shade. If you got the delux day, I believe that includes all your drinks, including sodas and purified water in sealed cups rather than bottles. The buffet is on the right side next to the front wall away from the beach. I didn't take a look. There were several people around to assist if you needed it. Most spoke English, and the rest may have as well. There is a small swimming pool, probably meant for children next to the eating area. There are chaises - something generally bodyshaped anyway - laying on the sand facing the beach for sun bathers. Because our time was so limited we didn't walk down to the other end nor get to take advantage of other on-site activities. If you haven't already, check out www.playamia.com The resort is located only about 10 minutes by cab from the cruise ship terminal area - IF you are docked at the one that is NOT in town. Not sure about the trip from the one closer in to the main part of Cozumel.

Linda in DFW

Hi, my daughter and I were at Playa Mia on January 30th. We did the Mexican Cuisine cooking school, which is in the middle of the premises, and took all but 30 or 40 mintues of our day there, but maybe I can answer a couple of questions. The premises are colorful and clean. A wild iguana was posing for us as we pulled up in the minivan taxi. There are shops as you walk through the entrance with tourist type goods and reasonable prices you can haggle about. I saw no venders on the beach, which is a PLUS! Restrooms and showers are located in a large building that looks fairly new and is on the right after you walk through the small shopping area. I THINK that on the exterior wall of the restroom building there are lockers. That was my impression looking from a distance, anyway. There is tenting over the larege open-air dining area which provides good shade. If you got the delux day, I believe that includes all your drinks, including sodas and purified water in sealed cups rather than bottles. The buffet is on the right side next to the front wall away from the beach. I didn't take a look. There were several people around to assist if you needed it. Most spoke English, and the rest may have as well. There is a small swimming pool, probably meant for children next to the eating area. There are chaises - something generally bodyshaped anyway - laying on the sand facing the beach for sun bathers. Because our time was so limited we didn't walk down to the other end nor get to take advantage of other on-site activities. If you haven't already, check out www.playamia.com The resort is located only about 10 minutes by cab from the cruise ship terminal area - IF you are docked at the one that is NOT in town. Not sure about the trip from the one closer in to the main part of Cozumel.

Linda in DFW

How much/person does this place cost? Of course there was no info on prices on the website. How much did you pay for the deluxe package that includes the buffet?

I got the deluxe package through Carnival which includes all you can eat and drink, access to nonmotorized watercraft and motorcoach to and from the ship. It was $69 pp. I'm sure the price varies between cruise lines. There is a really good description on this site http://www.playamia.com. It was much more informative that Carnival's description.

I got the deluxe package through Carnival which includes all you can eat and drink, access to nonmotorized watercraft and motorcoach to and from the ship. It was $69 pp. I'm sure the price varies between cruise lines. There is a really good description on this site www.playamia.com. It was much more informative that Carnival's description.

Thanks. I've been to their website & it does look like a blast, especially for my kids (16, 12, 10 & 5). BUT...man is everything so expensive! A day at this beach would cost us $414!!! Yikes!

Thanks. I've been to their website & it does look like a blast, especially for my kids (16, 12, 10 & 5). BUT...man is everything so expensive! A day at this beach would cost us $414!!! Yikes!

OK, I just found the dx package on NCL's website ... it's $56/person which is a significant difference for 6 people. But I'm not sure I want to spend all my time at this one place - there's other stuff I'd like to see too so I don't know if it would still be worth the money. ACK! How do I decide? Now I understand why people will cruise to the same places they've already been before ... you nned so much more time to see everything.

OK, I just found the dx package on NCL's website ... it's $56/person which is a significant difference for 6 people. But I'm not sure I want to spend all my time at this one place - there's other stuff I'd like to see too so I don't know if it would still be worth the money. ACK! How do I decide? Now I understand why people will cruise to the same places they've already been before ... you nned so much more time to see everything.

Have you looked into other places like Paradise Beach? You may not want an all inclusive, it may be better to pay as you go with 4 kids. Just a thought.

Does NCL offer this excursion as just a beach break? That would make it alot cheaper since you wouldn't be paying for the alcohol or food. We went to Paradise beach in August. They had the water toys included with a $7 wristband purchase. We didn't do the water toys so they didn't charge us admission as long as we purchased food or drinks. It was a much cheaper doing it that way.

How much/person does this place cost? Of course there was no info on prices on the website. How much did you pay for the deluxe package that includes the buffet?

RCCL lists this as Playa Mia Beach Break

Time: at your leisure

$29 Adults

$19 Kids

This is their online description:

Take a break at the fabulous Playa Mia Grand Beach Park. The beach is located approximately 10 miles from the town, so just take a taxi to Playa Mia Grand Beach Park. Included in your ticket is an open bar, use of the beach, pool, kayaks, sunfish sailboats, beach floats and a large water trampoline. Kindly note there are only a limited number of water toys. Restrooms with changing facilities and freshwater showers are available for your convenience. Take it as easy or as active as you want. Your stay is at your own discretion and a Mexican style buffet is available at an extra cost should you feel a little hungry. You decide how long you want to stay and when you are ready to leave, taxis will be available in the parking lot.

Don't forget your towel, swimsuit, hat and sunscreen. One-way taxi fare is approximately $15.00 per taxi. Taxis hold up to four persons.

Note: Other activities are available at extra cost. However, participation is at guest's own risk and Royal Caribbean International cannot be held responsible for guests deciding to avail themselves of such activities. Participation in any activity is solely at the discretion of the guest.

The area of the beach where we sat after our cooking class dropped more steeply than I would be comfortable with for kids. Note, however, that most of the activities seemed to be going on at the other end of the beach, which I would hope had more shallow waters suitable for children. You might write and ask.

I don't know where your cruise ship docks. We were at a pier only 10 or 15 minutes by taxi from the resort. If you've docked closer to Cozumel proper, you'd want to take that into consideration. If you timed your sightseeing right, you could probably do more than the beach in one day.

I've read on other threads that Paradise Beach is more amenable for children, but I've never been there and can't comment. You might check out the other threads and ask which is best.

Linda

Can't we by the delux package right at the playa mia resort and take our own taxi???? I wonder if anyone has done this.......much much cheaper I am sure. there was a video review on the web that said she paid only $27 US for the delux package............that is a huge difference since Carnival is charging $73.00 pp........ridiculous!

Does anyone know the price at the resort??? and taxi cost to and from pier to resort??

Can't we by the delux package right at the playa mia resort and take our own taxi???? I wonder if anyone has done this.......much much cheaper I am sure. there was a video review on the web that said she paid only $27 US for the delux package............that is a huge difference since Carnival is charging $73.00 pp........ridiculous!

Does anyone know the price at the resort??? and taxi cost to and from pier to resort??

Dont Know what video your refering to, but the cost at the gate for the deluxe package is $49 per person, Taxi is around $14 per cab (4) one way.

• 2 weeks later...

We got the Deluxe Package from ShoreTrips for $50/person. Since bottled water and sodas are included (not just alcoholic drinks), it may be worth it for children as well as adults. But it depends on each individual, of course!

I was glad that we didn't have to keep taking out money throughout the day to pay for drinks (I only ended up getting bottled water there [they actually aren't bottles, but plastic cups with foil tops you can punch a straw through - pretty unique things I'd never seen before!]) and food (we did get the buffet), so for me the price was worth not having to worry and fuss about money and such.

Archived