What's the best way $$-wise to cruise with 3 children?

1RocknRobin

I have been on 5 cruises since 2002, twice with kids and was looking for some info to help on booking a great rate 5 day cruise for Jan-Feb 2009.

I have always done my own bookings (especially after being raped on the first one by a TA) and have made some pretty deals.

Are there ways to piggy back on some group cruises that have not filled up?

It's been awhile since we've been on here and have missed all of this cruise conversation!!!

Do you remember what the ages where for children and also where do Costa cruises port out of?

Thanks for the response!

This is their web site, I am not sure of the ages, and not all ofthe cruises are free for children, but when we went in early April it was a free time. If you can't get the answers from this sight then go ask questions on the Costa boards in Cruise Critic. I was able to get more questions answered there then on this ask a question board. Good luck! :)

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/default.htm

If you book the Family View Aft Corner balconies, the rates for the third, fourth, and fifth passengers are very inexpensive (i.e. $300 pp). It's a tight squeeze when you are sleeping, but the balcony on the M class ships on Celebrity is almost as big as your room.

Book adjoining inside cabins. Number one, you are in the least expensive cabin on the ship; #2 you double your space including your bathrooms; #3 kids in one room and you and spouse in other and you can close the door.

IF you wanted to "Piggyback" onto a group cruise you could do that- you have no obligation to particiapate in anything the group does-- except gt you a cheaper rate. I do groups and most people just book for the price

If looking for a cheap way-- I agree with Cruzman. Look into one of the Fantasy class or Victory/Triumph/Destiny that will allow 5 people in one cabin. But please do price it out with two cabins to see how much more it will cost. Last cruise it was only 200. total more to book the two cabins.

Hey, these are awesome ideas....thanks for the response. I didn't think they had any that slept 5 so I will certainly check on that but will also check both prices (great idea).

I have been on the Holiday.....small, but has a lot of personality to it.

thanks again, Rocky

I am booked on Celebrity Summit with my 3 kids.We have booked 2 inside cabins.I will stay in cabin with 4 yr old and my husband will stay with 8 and 10 year olds. After reading this thread , I am curious.Do you think it is better to have 2 cabins or the M class Family View Aft corner balcony mentioned?

Hey, these are awesome ideas....thanks for the response. I didn't think they had any that slept 5 so I will certainly check on that but will also check both prices (great idea).

I have been on the Holiday.....small, but has a lot of personality to it.

thanks again, Rocky

We are a family of five..3 teens DS18, DS15 & DD13..we have booked our first cruise with the Holiday for July 14th..we decided to go with a balcony suite which sleeps 5(1 king, fold out sofa and roll away cot)..it is about $700 more than an 1 OV and 1 IR but to us worth it since the balcony is 87 sqft and the suite sqft isnt that bad with 374..it has a shower and whirlpool, walk in closet, sofa, separate sitting area, large vanity and dressing table and refrigerator..

If you go with Carnival they have Personal Vacation Planners available that you can talk with on the phone..not in person. I have a female and she is great! If you would like her name let me know and I will give you my email addy or vice versa...I had to call and ask since the suites were not showing up available on their site. With sailing Jan and Feb you might get some great deals.. I hope this didnt offend you and I'm so sorry for what you went through!

Do you remember what the ages where for children and also where do Costa cruises port out of?

Thanks for the response!

The children are up to 17 years old when sailing as 3rd/4th person in a cabin. Costa cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale.

We totally enjoyed out cruise in December on the Costa Mediterranea and booked the Fortuna for March. The price was fantastic and the food and service were excellent.

Also, you don't pay a deposit or tips for children! Kids 14 - 17 you pay a half-tip.

MSC is also offering Kids Sail Free in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean!

Hey thanks again for these great ideas. I will be checking into all of these options. We have done the two OV rooms twice (side-by-side) because there was not much difference in cost vs. the inside cabins but I certainly like some of the other possiblilties!

Archived