What Time Of Year For Best Cruise $$

LOWTYD

I have always had to take cruises during school vactions (like the one in April!) but my DD is graduating this year and I won't have to do that anymore! What time of year can you get the best deals for cruises to the Carribean? I normally takes crusies out fo NY but I would like to do a Eastern or Western Carribean next (then maybe a Southern and eventually a European!) Let's just start with the Carribean...any suggestions?

The first couple weeks of December are usually dirt cheap. Last year we got a 4-night on RC Enchantment for $199 each during that time. We typically sail in May because that's when our anniversary is, and we usually get good rates at that time also, as it's kind of shoulder season.But not as cheap as December, for sure!!

Good luck!!

Also, we live in Fl, so can book last minute, so I think that effects the deals as well.

It all depends. As many of us know, from season to season and year to year they vary. True, when school is out it can be more difficult to find a super amount of deals. I have seen good deals at all times of the year but I've seen fall deals and early December deals consistently good.

Check out the repositioning cruises. You start at one port and up at another but the prices have always been great. Many are 14- 17 days but usually average under $100 a day per person. We try to go in April rather than September to avoid the chance of being out in a hurricane. :D Even better if you can fly out to wherever and end up close to home.

The fall for me has always been a cheaper bet. Kids are all back in school and rates tend to come down. Also, if you have a flexible schedule and can book at the last minute after final payment dates, sometimes the ship doesn't sell out and they're looking to sell the rooms. I've gotten some great deals being able to book and travel within a 30-60 day time period.

I usually notice that cruises are the cheapest during hurricane season.... September~Early December. I see lots of $199 deals for western caribbean during that time. But you also take a chance of having some cruddy weather.;)

I agree, we sailed for years during hurricane season and only once did we have to leave Bermuda and outrun the hurricane. The cruises during that time period are usally very reasonable.

Slotaddict: Was that Hurricane Bertha? We acutally were in Bernuda when she came calling awe had to leave early. She followed us right into NY harbor! I was on the NCL Dream(ward) back then.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It sound like September to early December (excliding holidays!) I always wanted to do a respositioning cruise. I'll have to try it someday.

I too had always cruised during my kids vacation. Spring break or summer. I finally cruised this past January and it was the best all around. Low fares, extremely great weather, calm seas and a great price. After all the holidays this was so relaxing. I will do January again next year, in a heartbeat !!!

Archived