Stanley, Falklands, tour problem---be careful!!

Tarheelbelle

I am posting this for information only for the benefit of others. I just returned from Falklands/South Georgia/Antarctica cruise. Had a fabulous time! However, I had arranged a tour to Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts for my day in Stanley, but it was not to be. I had emailed Patrick Watts on 1/1/08 about arranging a tour on 1/19/08. I was clear in my email that I was on MV Discovery and that we would be in Stanley all day from 7AM-6PM. He emailed back that a tour was available that day that lasted 6 hours for 80 pounds Sterling. The other people booked were from the Rotterdam, also in port that day. He said he would meet me at the port that day at 9AM. I had 2 or 3 emails from him confirming the tour. I got off my tender about 8:20AM and waited for him. He never showed up. A very nice lady from another tour company assisted me in calling him about 9:15AM as she knew him. We reached him on the phone and he stated "It is a shame about your ship." I asked him what he meant, and he said, "you are leaving at 2:30PM." I told him that in fact our ship did not leave till 6PM as I had said in my email. He then asked, "are you on the Rotterdam?" I told him that as I had said in my email I was on the Discovery. He then said the tour had been cancelled by the folks on the Rotterdam because their ship was leaving at 2:30PM and they were afraid they wouldn't be back in time. He did not apologize for not emailing me to let me know and for inconveniencing me. He said the only thing he could do was to arrange to take me alone but I would have to pay the cost total amount for 4 people [320 pounds Sterling!!!!!]. Of course, I told him that I was not interested in that.

What was so upsetting is that by then it was too late to arrange much else---the Rockhopper and Bluff cove tours that the ship had offerred were of course sold out by then. I did take a bus to Gypsy Cove, and did some walking in Stanley, but it was quite disappointing.

Of course, if I ever return, I would never book with this man again. I would encourage cruise passengers booking independent tours in Stanley to really be careful with your booking. I thought I had picked a reputable person but apparently not. Now of course, I wish I had booked a ship's excursion....Buyer, beware!!

I am live on the Star Princess, having just visited the Falkland Islands a few days ago. I am sorry that you had a mix-up with your tour. Mine was smooth as could be, and I could not have been happier with it.

I too booked with Patrick Watts and had no problems whatsoever. He was prompt with his emails. He had a total of 11 vehicles go out to Volunteer Point that day. Upon tendering to shore, I saw my name in large letters on a sign. Our driver was a retired paramedic, Val. He drove us in his 1-year old Mitsubishi 4x4. We reached Volunteer Point in approximately 2.5 hours. The terrain is extremely bumpy for at least an hour of it as it travels over peat bog. It's well worth it as there are thousands of penguins and you can get within an arm's length of them. We made it there about 5 minutes before the ship's tour (those people paid double the price). The ship contracts the tour out to the local agency, Sullivan's.

We had 2 hours at Volunteer Point and then Patrick offered us lunch, which was sandwiches with chicken, cheese, or tuna plus an apple, Walker's shortbread cookies, a box drink, and coffee or tea. We made it back to the jetty with 1 hour to spare before the last tender.

In Punta Arenas, our other penguin-viewing port, the ferry to Magellana Island was "not suitable" even after the dry dock, so we had to go to Otway Bay. It took 1.25 hours on an awful gravel road. There were thousands of tourists and you are confined to a walking path, very far away from small penguins that live in burrows. What a disappointment... we are so glad we made it to Volunteer Point with Patrick!

Again, sorry about your misfortune. In contrast, I had a very positive experience.

I am glad that you had a great experience. The reason I booked with him was the good reputation of his tours. However, the quality of the tours and the character of how he handles things are 2 different issues.

He was prompt with his emails to me too, in the planning stage. But he apparently did not keep up with the details very well or he would have emailed me when the passengers on the other ship cancelled the tour.

Fortunately I had great penguin experiences at South Georgia and the Antarctic peninsula, as well as at Gypsy Cove in Stanley.

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

I have also booked with Patrick Watts on April 3rd, we'll be on Star Princess. Usually we book tours with the ship so we can avoid the problems you faced.

Considering that Patrick comes well recommended and he charges half than what Princess asks for their tour we have no single doubt booking him.

I guess if you needed a guarantee about your tour so you can make it to volunteer point you could have booked with the ship

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

I have also booked with Patrick Watts on April 3rd, we'll be on Star Princess. Usually we book tours with the ship so we can avoid the problems you faced.

Considering that Patrick comes well recommended and he charges half than what Princess asks for their tour we have no single doubt booking him.

I guess if you needed a guarantee about your tour so you can make it to volunteer point you could have booked with the ship

My point was not that I "needed a guarantee" but that the vendor was rude and unprofessional not to notify me by email that the tour was cancelled and that he didn't keep up even with which ship I was on. Also, my ship did not offer a tour to Volunteer point, but had I known the tour was cancelled, I could have booked another tour either through the ship or another vendor.

I am on a cruise next January on the Mariner of the Seas from Rio to Valparaiso. Can anyone suggest guides in Rio, Buenos Aires, and Santiago? We are trying to avoid the higher cost of ship tours.

Thank you

I used Alan Patrick in Buenos Aires. He offers a 3 hour leisure walking tour in English (he's a British expat) - great info and humor. It's ~ $40USD or less depending on the number in your group. He also lists a self guided tour on his website (www.buenostours.com) if you like the self guided route. I'd highly recommend him as a guide.

Archived