Gay travellers tips

dollyfan

Hi

My partner and I are travelling on Oceana this year and I'd be interested if anyone has any advice/experience from a 'gay perspective'. Really looking forward to meeting and mixing with all types of people but wondered if anyone has had any problems. First time cruisers!!

I have not noticed any issues.

There was a couple, I guess they were a couple, travelling with a party that I presume were a family group. But simply it was a guess.

More realistically, on a cruise with some 2000 passengers and 1000 crew you will be astonished just how many people you do NOT see.

At any one moment there may be a couple of hundred annoymous souls. The most you will see will be in the theatre, perhaps 500-600.

Curiosuly however there will be about 15-20 people that you will see all the time. They sit in the same places that you favour; they use the same passageways, doorways and lifts that you use.

In otherwords it is almost a question of total annonimity.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Im sure you will have no trouble at all

I agree with Pontius its amazing how you tend to pump into the same people again and again on a cruise ship but can never notice the other 2000 on a passenger list of over 2000 there are bound to be some other gay couples on board and I'm more than confident in saying a few gay crew too.

Hi Dollyfan,

Tony & I have now cruised 5 times with P&O and had a great time on all cruises. We are very openly a couple, although don't foist our sexuality on anyone. We have made lots of good friends and acquaintances on board and keep in touch with some of them land-side. The same can be said of the on-line cruise forums that I post on.

My advice would be relax and be yourselves and I don't think you will have any problems.

My own theory is that most cruise passengers are somewhere that they are very comfortable and secure in their own lives, which generally makes them accepting of other's lives.

We have not met many gay people on our cruises (but have met some) but we are both quite happy being in the mainly straight but very gay-friendly environment aboard P&O ships.

Feel free to post any specific questions and I will try and answer them for you.

Andrew

My partner and I are travelling on Oceana this year and I'd be interested if anyone has any advice/experience from a 'gay perspective'. Really looking forward to meeting and mixing with all types of people but wondered if anyone has had any problems. First time cruisers!!

My partner and I have been on about 20 cruises (different lines and different ships) but never on P&O. We are also considering P&O for our 2009 cruise with a Welsh friend that I met on the QE2 more than 20 years ago.

So far, no problems at all. Passengers vary from cruise to cruise, and some are friendlier than others; but I don't think that the line matters much. Crew have always been respectful, and when I was younger (30 years ago) even flirty:rolleyes:.

So far, the QM2 passengers were the most reserved (about 1,000 Germans), but I wouldn't say that they were a problem at all. The most welcoming was last August on the Grand Princess out of Southampton. The Cruise Director hosted several Friends of Dorothy get-togethers for gays and their friends where the ship actually provided free drinks and champagne. That was a first!

All in all, most people on a cruise want to have a good time. So, you should have no problems.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I think most people are jolly when on holiday.

Bluey

Hi dollyfan, when are u and your partner going on this cruise. My partner and I are going on 20th April. thiswill be our 7th and have never had any problems. sometimes they organise a special evening, to get to know other people onboard.

Bryan

I am sure that I will be criticised for this post. However, I have an idea but not too sure but.... what is 'Friends of Dorothy please ?

FOD is "code" for a meet and greet for boys who like boys and girls who like girls, just as Friends of Bill W. is for those who abstain from spirits (of the whiskey, not Rosalind kind). The reference to Dorothy is thought by some to be to Dorothy Parker of Hotel Algonquin (NYC) fame who had a regular circle of rather gay friends, and by others to be to Dorothy from "The Wizard of Oz" as Judy Garland is viewed by many as a gay Icon. Hope that helps and is not deemed irrelevantly off-topic.;)

Thanks for that info, you have brought a 62 year old man's knowledge base into the 21st century.

Thanks

You are quite welcome. And "friends of" means supporters and advocates are always welcome at the "meetings" which are often hosted and provide gratis drinks and snacks (strong drinks at the FOD and tea and coffee, of course, at the FO Bill W...).

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just read through the forums on here and found out a bit more about the 'FOD.' Looks good and interesting. Have one question though, are P & O not very up on having FOD meetings on their cruises?

Went through the links and could only find one mention of it on everything that has been written about the company.

We have never been on what we would call a 'mainstream' cruise before. We did Ocean Village for a week about 5 years ago in the Caribbean. So we are a bit 'curious' and wondering what to expect when we go on Ventura in October. Does anyone out there have any informationon what we can expect.

Cheers

Steve....

At the risk of being flamed I have a question about FOD meets (or any other meet).

As an idea or principle I have no problem with meets of any sort and think they are a great idea for getting to meet like minded people. Where my problem lies is with the idea of providing free drinks for a specific group of passengers but not for others.

Why should any cruise line do this? It's actually descriminating against people who don't go to that particular meet.

When we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary we went to a Captain's Party and were given a piece of cake and a drink (other drinks had to be paid for). So yes I have benefited from a meet too - however, that cruise was advertised as an Anniverary cruise and the Captain's party listed in the perks so everyone knew about it up front. Are FOD meets listed in the same way?

At the risk of being flamed I have a question about FOD meets (or any other meet).

As an idea or principle I have no problem with meets of any sort and think they are a great idea for getting to meet like minded people. Where my problem lies is with the idea of providing free drinks for a specific group of passengers but not for others.

Why should any cruise line do this? It's actually descriminating against people who don't go to that particular meet.

When we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary we went to a Captain's Party and were given a piece of cake and a drink (other drinks had to be paid for). So yes I have benefited from a meet too - however, that cruise was advertised as an Anniverary cruise and the Captain's party listed in the perks so everyone knew about it up front. Are FOD meets listed in the same way?

Last year while on my summer holiday cruise on Oceana I organised a get together for passengers who are/were users of 2 particular cruise interest message boards (one of them being the P&O Cruise Connections message board).

When organising this get together I contacted P&O and my reqest was passed onto the Commercial manager onboard the ship.

I suggested a venue for the meet and the day I would like to hold it. I asked them to suggest a time that would not conflict with other events being held that day. I also asked for them to provide refreshments (being a bit cheeky and not expecting them to provide any - but my mum brought me up that if you don't ask they can't say yes) and, if possible, a visit to the get together from a senior officer.

When we boarded the ship there was a message in my cabin about the event and confirmation of free refreshments as well as the time and venue. They also confirmed that they would advertise the event in their daily activity log (Horizon). When we arrived at the venue there was free coffee and tea and free biscuits (very nice they were too). We were aslo attended by the cruise director who spent over an hour chatting with us all and answering various questions about the plans for the ship.

This year I am doing a few cruises and I am planning on organising similar events. In fact I am in contact with the assistant cruise director regarding the matter for a cruise on Oceana on June 8th.

Feebee_71 :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Just read through the forums on here and found out a bit more about the 'FOD.' Looks good and interesting. Have one question though, are P & O not very up on having FOD meetings on their cruises?

Went through the links and could only find one mention of it on everything that has been written about the company.

We have never been on what we would call a 'mainstream' cruise before. We did Ocean Village for a week about 5 years ago in the Caribbean. So we are a bit 'curious' and wondering what to expect when we go on Ventura in October. Does anyone out there have any informationon what we can expect.

Cheers

Steve....

Hi Steve,

I have never known P&O to host FOD Parties. It seems to be very much something that the US-based cruise lines do. I can't say that it particularly bothers me - we always enjoy our cruises, whoever we meet & make friends with.

Andrew

Hi Susieh,

I have only 1 experience of FOD meets, which was on Celebrity Summit in 2005. The 2 meets were advertised in the ship's daily paper but they were just described as an opportunity for people to meet each other & chat etc. No free drinks or refreshments were provided. I am not sure what other lines do. P&O UK do not seem to have FOD meets at all.

Andrew

Hi Steve,

I have never known P&O to host FOD Parties. It seems to be very much something that the US-based cruise lines do. I can't say that it particularly bothers me - we always enjoy our cruises, whoever we meet & make friends with.

Andrew

Andrew

Appreicate the information. I'm sure we will enjoy ourselves on this one. I hope so, on the strength of the brochure we booked another one in advance... Wonder if I'll get time off work.. :eek:

Regards

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW! This thread has really turned nasty! (Not meaning the quote above, which is just simply confusing!)

All are welcome at the FOD meetings. In terms of hosting, it really does depend on the particular cruise director as to whether or not he/she provides gratis beverages, be they soda, coffee or something "stronger". I remember a Princess cruise some years ago where on a 14 night cruise, the asst. cruise director hosted at least half a dozen events, and put all drinks on his own "ticket". I assume he was budgeted to do so, but perhaps he was just buying them himself! It became quite a popular gathering and lots of non-gay friends started showing up and were welcome, too!

(P.S., I have thought long and hard, but still cannot comprehend how a cruise line choosing to do something for one group of passengers but not doing so for all could in any way be discrimination. Businesses do this all the time, in many different ways. Does not P&O have onboard events recognizing past passengers?? It is simply a fact that gay and lesbian households spend more of their disposable income on travel. Why wouldn't a company in the business of travel seek to cultivate this clientele?? Even if your logic holds, the truth is everyone is welcome to attend these meet and greets.)

Archived