Any Geordies out there?

bcscot

We are scheduled to visit Newcastle on the QE2 in October. We wondered about taking public transport to the Beamish museum. Do you think this would be a reasonable option?

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

Hi bcscot,

Arr ye all reet, hinny.

It would be possible to get a bus from Newcastle to Beamish, but it would take 54 minutes. If you could get off QE2 early then you could be at Beamish by Just after 10.00 by getting a bus from Newcastle at 09.18 and the 2.55 bus back would see you back to Newcastle by 3.45. What time do you sail? This would give you four and a half hours at the museum. Given the time of year, quite enough I would have thought.

I give below the websites for the museum and the bus company. I take it that there will be shuttle buses to Newcastle, you would have to find out where they dropped you and add that time in.

http://www.beamish.org.uk/visitor-getto.html

http://www.simplygo.com/timetables/0028.pdf

Hope this helps.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We are scheduled to visit Newcastle on the QE2 in October. We wondered about taking public transport to the Beamish museum. Do you think this would be a reasonable option?

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

Although not a Geordie but a Makem can reccomend Beamish museum, if you do go, try and buy your tickets online [if possible ] as at peak times there can be quite a long line at entrance.

Very proud of the colliery cottages they have there, as they were originaly a few streets away from where I live, carefully demolished and ressurected at Beamish a few years ago now.

Some of the ships seem to dock at North Shields but I understand that on her last visit, QE2 docked in the Tyne, closer to the town centre. Do you know if this is so?

Hi bcscot,

QE2 and all cruise ships berth at the cruise terminal at North Shields. It is part of the ferry terminal.

Dai

I have only once arrived at North Shields. It was on a ferry from Esbjerg in Denmark, many years ago when I was a student. I cannot remember if we had to go into Newcastle to get the train north & if so, how we got there. Are there trains or buses into Newcastle from North Shields? I imagine that Cunard may lay on shuttle buses (for a price!).

Thanks.

I have only once arrived at North Shields. It was on a ferry from Esbjerg in Denmark, many years ago when I was a student. I cannot remember if we had to go into Newcastle to get the train north & if so, how we got there. Are there trains or buses into Newcastle from North Shields? I imagine that Cunard may lay on shuttle buses (for a price!).

Thanks.

There are buses which meet the ferries and there are taxis. I should imagine Cunard will put on shuttle buses into Newcastle (about 8 mile away). If you have time you could walk to the metro station in about 15 minutes. A good bet may be a taxi into North Shields and then the Metro to Newcastle. Without knowing the costs of the shuttle bus it is difficult to compare prices.

Dai

Hello Bscot

When QE2 called at Newcastle (North Sheilds, at what is now known as "Northumbrian Quay") on her "Lap of Honor" last September, Cunard provided a free shuttle service from the quay to the nearest Metro stop, which is a good distance away and probably difficult to find for anyone not familiar with the area.

The Metro into Newcastle is quick, about 15 minutes.

If there is a ferry disembarking at the adjacent ferry terminal, there is the option of their coach service into Newcastle, Central Station. The cost, if I remember correctly, is 3 pounds, but you will still have to get back...:rolleyes:

The Metro will also take you to Central Station.

2048528490055338351S425x425Q85.jpg

I hope that you have as spectacular an arrival on QE2's Farewell to Britain cruise as we did on her 40th Anniversary cruise. :)

Arriving on the Tyne:

Departing:

Thanks Kyle & Dai. That sounds great. Shuttle to the metro & then bus from Newcastle to Beamish. Then back to Northumbrian Quay & hopefully the QE2, still waiting! Unless of course the good folk of Newcastle lay on something that we would not want to miss.

Graham.

Archived