1st timer - recommendations 2 ad 2 kids (9,11)

snzz

Hi. Ships docks for day here and day in Belize and looking for recommendations for excursions with kids ages 9 & 11. I was considering the Catamaran snorkel. Does anyone know how strict they are about the age of 10 (one will be a month shy). Or how about the snorkel from shore - worth it ? Thanks!

Don't do it. Are "free" drinks included with this excursion? If they are, you'll likely see more than a few people who have tried to get their moneys worth, if you know what I mean. If alcohol isn't included, then the trip will take you onlly a short distance from the ship and the snorkeling will be medorcre at best. You could easily just snorkel from shore at the same place on your own for the cost of a taxi ride if you already own your own snorkel gear. Just don't do the ship's excursion.

If your kids want a beach day, Paraside Beach club is a great choice. You can easily take a taxi there on your own.

If you want to do some quality snorkeling, go with one of the small private operators like http://www.eagleraydivers.com or Mysitic Snorkel tour

One of the few actual excursions I'd consider is the Adventure Tours: Island Jeep Tour or the Dune Buggy tour

Cozumel Mini-Golf is also worth a visit.

If you really want to be in charge of your day in Cozumel, get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com and rent a car and do a driving tour of the island. It is really easy to do and you can visit multiple stops.

I agree with Bruce. A lot of the tours are booze oriented. Paradise Beach or Chankanaab are my favs for kids. The snorkeling is better at Chank, but I like PB's water toys, too. If you see a mid 50's bleached out Arkie trying to climb the iceberg, it is me.:D

To find better snorkeling you need to take a reef snorkel and Bruce covered two of the best companies.

One other option is a taxi to Playa Palancar. They have a nice beach although the snorkeling from shore isn't that good, but they do offer a boat trip to Palancar Reef. They also have hammocks, beach chairs, cold drinks and good food. A taxi runs about $20 one way.

Check out the dune buggy excursion through Cozumel Insider. We did this excursion in July. We loved it so much, we are repeating it with friends in 2 weeks. You see alot of the island and do alot of different things on the excursion. There are other excursions to consider at their website.

Wow. This is great. I love this site. Ok, so I want to choose one of your recommended options...do I book thru cruise line or is it just as easy on my own (to get to say Paradise Beach)

Wow. This is great. I love this site. Ok, so I want to choose one of your recommended options...do I book thru cruise line or is it just as easy on my own (to get to say Paradise Beach)

Grab a cab. This port is very easy to do on your own. We have done Dzul Ha, Playa Palancar, Paradise Beach, Palmar and made a detour to the east side, all on our own.

Oh, I forgot Chankanaab. That is almost unforgivable.

None of what I suggested is thru the ship although they do offer some of the tours. If you go thru the ship, it will cost you more. Cozumel is very easy to do on your own, so I recommend making your own arrangements. You can take a taxi to just about anywhere you need to go. Agree on the fare before you get in the vehicle. Try to take small denomination bills with you so you'll have exact change for the fare.

Archived