Med Cruise on Celebration in April

Hi,

I've never been on a cruise before but myself, my husband, my Mother-in-Law and our two (teenage) kids thought we'd give it a go on the Celebration for a week long cruise around the Meditteranean (Palma, Tunis, Rome, Barcelona, etc)

The thinking behind it was that there would be something to please everyone and we could also all do our own thing from time to time in a safe self contained environment.

However, I am slightly concerned about the excursions off the ship. Can anyone advise if you can just get off and walk into a resort or does the boat dock too far away from anywhere interesting? Do you have to buy the excursion packages they offer and are these worth it / expensive? :confused:

Any other advice would be very welcome too.

Many thanks

However, I am slightly concerned about the excursions off the ship. Can anyone advise if you can just get off and walk into a resort or does the boat dock too far away from anywhere interesting? Do you have to buy the excursion packages they offer and are these worth it / expensive? :confused:

Any other advice would be very welcome too.

Many thanks

Whether you can walk off the ship to the attractions very much depends on what ports you dock at, as the distance to the points of interest varies. For example in Rome, the port is a good hour's drive away from the city, so as a newbie it will probably be worth taking a ship sponsored tour. The big advantage of this is the ship will wait for you if it runs late. You can, however get a train from Civittavechia to Rome if you want to. In Barcelona you dock very near the city centre so you may be able to walk or get a port shuttle bus to Las Ramblas. After that you can do the hop-on hop-off bus tour.

The ships tours and very professional and well worth it, especially for those new to cruising or to the ports of call. They are slightly more expensive than you could organise yourself. However, as I said earlier, the ship will wait for late running official tours. Don't expect them to do that if you go off by yourself. If you are out and about independently please be extra careful that you take into account transfer times when getting back to the ship. Always take a note of the local Shipping Agents contact details in case something goes wrong. In that case you can contact the Agent to let them know what has happened and they can inform the ship. These are shown on the Cruise News for each port day. This is delivered to your cabin the evening before.

The Destination Services/Tours Desk on the ship will be able to provide maps and tips for independent travellers for eash port. These are usually available the night before arrival into each port, but you can get them on the morning. Also bear in mind that those going on official tours may get priority in disembarking at ports.

One last thing, the Cruise Critic website has destination guides for most ports in the Med. These are great for giving advice on what to see, including places to eat and drink and pointers on local bargains and souvenirs.

Have a great cruise!

Eddie

I would endorse everything Eddie has said....I think places like Tunis are probably better going on an organised tour...but Palma you can explore yourself easily if you head for the cathedral which you will be able to see from the ship...bit of a walk but a taxi shouldn't cost much...then the shopping area is behind that. there is also a big shopping arcade within walking distance from the port entrance..if shopping is your thing!!!cross the main road and head north up the hill and at the top on the left is the shopping arcade which looks fairly small from ground level but you need to go down and there are masses of shops!!!

Barcelona ...there is a shuttle to Las Ramblas ....but we took a taxi for 6 euros....then walked up to the big square at the top and got a hop on hop off bus for 19 euros each for the day which went to the Camp Nous football stadium and Gaudis church La Sagrada Familia and the rest of the northern part of the city.

Rome you could get the ships tour which just drops you off and picks you up and you do your own thing in between ...but we actually took the plunge and got the train for 9 euros each return (including metro and bus fares) and it was really easy.

The tour organisers on Celebration, in October when we went, were extremely helpful with advice if you want to do your own thing...they don't push their excursions...so it will be useful to keep your eyes open for the 'port talks' and take a paper and pen with you.

Anything else I can help with just ask...

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll go and look up the ports we're going to and do some more investgation on this site now.:)

One more thing....has anyone been on the Celebration before and, if so, do you know how smart the dress code is? I believe there is one night we have to dress more smartly but I can't find anything to tell me how smart is smart?! i.e. is it black tie or just suits? Could men get away with a shirt and tie but no jacket? It's easier for ladies as I imagine a cocktail type dress would suit most dress codes.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll go and look up the ports we're going to and do some more investgation on this site now.:)

One more thing....has anyone been on the Celebration before and, if so, do you know how smart the dress code is? I believe there is one night we have to dress more smartly but I can't find anything to tell me how smart is smart?! i.e. is it black tie or just suits? Could men get away with a shirt and tie but no jacket? It's easier for ladies as I imagine a cocktail type dress would suit most dress codes.

Yes we were on Celebration in October/November 2007..the dress code for formal nights (one per week) is fairly flexible...either black tie or dark suit is most common but there were some sports jackets/blazers and trousers. I think a jacket was expected but if you don't want to dress up you can always eat in the buffet informally. We loved our cruise on this ship the staff were amazing!

We are off on the Celebration in two days time, around the Red Sea, and have just received our ticket booklet. It says that for the Captain's cocktail party Dinner jackets/Tuxedos are 'the norm' but jacket and tie is acceptable. Otherwise, as jenny wren says, you can eat in the buffet that night.

We did a cruise last November that took in Barcelona and Palma, and if the ship doesn't provide a shuttle bus then a taxi is really cheap, and there is lots to see and do on foot and hop on/hop off buses. We particularly loved Barcelona, I am sure you will.

The 'Cruise News', the daily newspaper delivered to your cabin tells you what the dress code is for that night. On most nights it is 'smart casual, apart from captains cocktail, which for guys I guess means dress trousers, shirt etc, with or without tie. My son and partner wore a suit with a tie for captains cocktail and did not lok out of place- enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you will have a lovely time

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, does that mean that the dress code is smart casual every night and the formal night is even smarter? Is there somewhere you can eat on the ship which is basically just casual (without the smart bit!) on some evenings? We have teendage kids with us so sometimes it might be nice to just be a bit more laid back

Yes. The Lido restaurant (self service) has a good varied menu in the evenings and this is quite casual.

In the Cruise News 'smart casual' for the Meridian restaurant suggests for men;

'full length trousers with an open necked shirt/polo or similar'

and for ladies;

'summer style dress or trouser suit or similar'

with the rider;

'Please note that shorts, vest style tops and baseball caps are not permitted in the Meridian Restaurant during meal times'

Many ladies wear trousers with tops, not necessarily trouser suits. It's fairly relaxed - it's just that most people change for dinner.

On formal nights, there is a range from D.Js to suits or jacket/tie for men and long dresses/cocktail dresses to smart trousers/long skirts and tops for ladies.

Hope this helps. We love the Celebration so hope you do too. Enjoy!

Archived