Bears -- Redoubt Bay or Traitor's Cove?

katredd

I know this may be a duplicate question.. but I've been searching the boards.. so here goes --

We will be in Alaska the first 2 weeks of August -- based out of anchorage first week and on Princess cruise week 2. If we were going to do one trip to see the bears, would you experienced folks out there recommend Flightseeing with Rust's out of Anchorage to Redoubt Bay or a trip with Island Wings to Traitor's Cove out of Ketchikan? Other better suggestions out of Anchorage are welcomed as well if there are some.

Thanks so much for your advice!!!!

You may want to rethink basing out of Anchorage for a week, not anything I would recommend. Are you there for a reason??? As an alternative, Denali park is the bargain of bargains in Alaska, and brown bears are seen close to 100% of the time IF you get a shuttle to least Fish Creek/Eielson. Then flying in out of Ketchikan to Traitor's Cove will give you a look at salmon diet, black bears.

Thanks BQ -- we aren't actually in Anchorage for a week -- I was just indicating the side of the state we'd be on (vs Copper River and Wrangell-St.Elias). The first week we are headed to Talkeetna for rafting and flight / glacier landing. Then on to Denali for 2 nights per all your recommendations, then down to Seward for a Fjords cruise and Godwin dog sleds. We've rented a car to allow us to stop and linger in areas as needed. I have one free day in Anchorage when we return the rental car the day before we head to Whittier for the Diamond Princess and so I was trying to decide if it would be better to do bears there or wait until Ketchikan. I don't know if it is better to see them using Rusts's in Anchorage if the weather is good or to chance the weather in Ketchikan -- if we miss the bears in Ketchikan we won't have another chance because it is at the end of our cruise.

We are thrilled with the itinerary and I have to say Thanks to you and the other regulars on the board who have given me the courage to plan this all out.... it will be a wonderful trip!

• 3 months later...

If you have a choice go on the Redoubt trip. Traitors Cove is a good option if your only in Southeast. They only have black bear at Traitors. Fun to watch but not quite as majestic as costal brown bears. I'm not positive but most of the trips to Traitors Cove give you only about an hour and a half at the viewing platform.

Archived