senor frogs......WARNING

luv2travel#2

WARNING.......we were there around noon with 8 couples.....for my wife and I, we had 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip......they charged the two of us $70.00 US......when I asked to speak to a manager, he (the manager) tried to take me back into the kitchen area with 2 goons......I had to pay to get out of there and when I returned to my table, my camera was gone......the manager then followed us outside with more goons and demanded $12.00 more.....We are senior citizens and I paid.....if you go there, do not run a tab....pay as you go.....I am writing to the police, the mayor, the governor, carnival and all that I can talk with......love mexico, love the people, this was our first bad experience in mexico.....if anyone is interested, I can explaine more....I have read prior posts about this place and now I have experienced the reason to stay clear of this place.....

I think we will need a little information before we boycott this place.

Were the drink and food prices not listed in the menu? Were your charges different from what was listed?

We have never had a problem at Senor Frogs or Carlos and Charlies.:confused:

Mike:)

I think we will need a little information before we boycott this place.

Were the drink and food prices not listed in the menu? Were your charges different from what was listed?

We have never had a problem at Senor Frogs or Carlos and Charlies.:confused:

Not trying to get you to boycott this place, Mike......Just a warning to not run a tab.....Yes the prices were posted.....Of course the charges were different.....think about it, 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip....One of the other couples that was with us, told us afterwards that they had bought our shots when they paid their bill. I'm a retired police officer from a major city.....I know when I was scamed.....they directed me away from the table, even though I was not creating a disturbance. Demanded more $, pretended to not understand what and why I was trying to explain to them.....brought out goons to scare me.....I never raised my voice but out of concern for our safety, I paid......I left and am now advising visitors to not run a tab......

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience, it does put a serious dent into any holiday.

Is this Senor Frogs in Mazatlan?

Yes, it was in Mazatlan....we had all of our ship pictures on the camera. Still had a 9 out of a 10 scale good time. Just want to warn folks to be careful when visiting this place. Nothing I could do about it, so, we just continued our vacation. Still love Mexico and the people. Once again, if you decide to visit that bar, don't run a tab, even if it is a small one. By the way, a "goon" is a person that you would not want to run into in a dark alley. I would have gladly given them extra money if they needed it. In my letter to the senor frogs company office, I have invited all the goons and the manager to visit me in my city. I have offered to pay all transportation costs for all of them. Doubt if they will take me up on it, but if they do, I'll look forward to meeting them in "my" alley.....lol To pretend not to understand me except when they wanted to and actually stealing from us was a crime. Thanks for your comments

Did the other 15 people with you simply walk out and not support you or your claim?

If you paid your bill with a credit card it should be easy to dispute.

And I would contact Senor Frog's about this as this is certainly not company policy for a huge company that has restaurants all over the Caribbean and Mexico.

http://www.senorfrogs.com

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience, it does put a serious dent into any holiday.

Yes, it was in Mazatlan....we had all of our ship pictures on the camera. Still had a 9 out of a 10 scale good time. Just want to warn folks to be careful when visiting this place. Nothing I could do about it, so, we just continued our vacation. Still love Mexico and the people. Once again, if you decide to visit that bar, don't run a tab, even if it is a small one. By the way, a "goon" is a person that you would not want to run into in a dark alley. I would have gladly given them extra money if they needed it. In my letter to the senor frogs company office, I have invited all the goons and the manager to visit me in my city. I have offered to pay all transportation costs for all of them. Doubt if they will take me up on it, but if they do, I'll look forward to meeting them in "my" alley.....lol To pretend not to understand me except when they wanted to and actually stealing from us was a crime. Thanks for your comments

Which Senior Frogs? Are you sure you did not get stuck for part of the tab for the other 6 couples by accident?

I have been to several Senior Frogs and they don't need bad publicity. They usually seem honest to me . Did you report the incident to the cruise line?

Did the other 15 people with you simply walk out and not support you or your claim?

If you paid your bill with a credit card it should be easy to dispute.

And I would contact Senor Frog's about this as this is certainly not company policy for a huge company that has restaurants all over the Caribbean and Mexico.

www.senorfrogs.com

paid cash....no, the other people with me did not "simply walk out and not support my claim" They were paying their bills, and this was why the manager took me to the back to get away from everyone. When I returned, they were outside getting cabs and were not aware of the situation. My wife waited in the lobby and when we walked outside, the other people were now getting into their cabs and did not know of anything. As I started to get a cab, the manager and his goons came outside and this is when they demanded more $......yes, i have sent senorfrogs a letter....read my above response. And yes, I was shocked that a major company would do that. If you need extra $, I'm the first to give.....this was a planned attack to steal $ and my camera. To be able to speak with me in english when they wanted $ and then to pretend to not to understand me when I was trying to explain the situation, left no doubt in my mind of this.......

Which Senior Frogs? Are you sure you did not get stuck for part of the tab for the other 6 couples by accident?

I have been to several Senior Frogs and they don't need bad publicity. They usually seem honest to me . Did you report the incident to the cruise line?

My sister was with us and had been to senior frogs several times herself. She was shocked also. No, I didn't get stuck paying for the other couples. The manager kept writing the figures on a brown paper sack. 2 drinks, 2 shots, and chips and dip.....He would try to add different figures and when it did not total up to the $58.00 US that he was demanding, he just kept changing the figures. It was such a bad performance as he could not justify the $.......I've seen smarter crooks in my life....thats when I gave him $58.00, told him that he was a thief and walked outside. Thats when he followed me out, demanding another $12.00.....Trust me, I wanted to call the Police, but decided to just get out of there. I gave him the $12.00, now for a total of $70.00......I always tip way above average, pay all my bills and don't want any free rides......I'm telling you folks what happen was very smooth until the manager could not justify the $ that he wanted....then he would play dumb......anyway, still love mexico and the people, just have never liked thieves......I will continue to visit mexico and recommend to all, to do the same......

Your original post said nothing about contacting the restaurant. . .

I contend there is more to this story than you are willing to share.

Sorry you had a bad experience, no matter the reason.

i did not contact the restaurant....I sent them a letter.....don't know how I can explain it any more.....there is no more to the story to share....was there about 1 hour, only had 1 shot and 1 drink....no problems....had a good time.....don't know how I can explain it any further.....what do you think is lacking in this "story"......

This sounds like such an ordeal.

Some things are puzzling to me.

How come you leave the table to go talk in an office? I am thinking that put you in a position where they can intimidate you. I am sure you had better bargaining power with the other couples around and where the rest of the pub could witness whats going on? If you were the last person at the table, why did you leave your camera there unattended?

If your wife and the others were still at the table when you left why didnt they pick up all your belongings when they left and you were not back yet? I will not leave anything valuable unattended on a table and walk away.

I am not blaming you for this dilemma and I know in hindsight its always easy to look back and think what would have prevented what went wrong.

Too bad the other couples and your wife did not stick with you I am sure that would have made things much easier to resolve the problem. There is safety in numbers.

I hope someone from that Senor Frogs read this and can reply and state their side of things. I am sure that will give you peace of mind.

We rarely run a tab in any bar, anyplace. It's the only place we don't use our credit card, which would be our only reason to run a tab. We've found it is too easy for errors, whether unintentional or not, to be made, and too difficult to get them rectified. That's if you even notice them after drinking...:o

This sounds like such an ordeal.

Some things are puzzling to me.

How come you leave the table to go talk in an office? I am thinking that put you in a position where they can intimidate you. I am sure you had better bargaining power with the other couples around and where the rest of the pub could witness whats going on? If you were the last person at the table, why did you leave your camera there unattended?

If your wife and the others were still at the table when you left why didnt they pick up all your belongings when they left and you were not back yet? I will not leave anything valuable unattended on a table and walk away.

I am not blaming you for this dilemma and I know in hindsight its always easy to look back and think what would have prevented what went wrong.

Too bad the other couples and your wife did not stick with you I am sure that would have made things much easier to resolve the problem. There is safety in numbers.

I hope someone from that Senor Frogs read this and can reply and state their side of things. I am sure that will give you peace of mind.

I did not leave the table to go talk in a office.....Everyone was paying their bills and the manager said follow me. I was not concerned about my safety. He led me to the kitchen area and wanted me to step in. This was about 30 feet away. Everyone was still at the table. I was still in the dining area, with my back towards my group of people. My attention was directed towards this brown paper bag he kept writing his figures on. My wife walked over to the waiting room, with the other couples. Yes, I left our camera on the table. Shame on me.....My wife did not realize there was a problem. No one at the table even noticed me being led away. I was smart enough not to step inside the door that they were trying to get me into. It was day time. I know better than to leave anything on the table. We were swept up with everyone standing up, talking with the waiters, paying their bills. No one noticed my camera on the table. Too many people leaving at one time, I guess. When I turned around back to the table, everyone was gone and so was my camera. I have peace of mind. I know they overcharged me, I know that someone led me away from the table, I know that the manager and 2 goons tried to get me to follow them thru the door, I know that the manager could not justify his figures, hindsight is always nice. I know that $58.00 US was too much for 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip. So, I followed the manager and he kept my attention directed towards that brown bag he kept writing on. I thought the problem was going to be resolved with the manager. I'm a retired police officer, i know better but even I got conned......they fooled me.....I know they followed me outside and demanded another $12.00. I've handled thousands of crime victims, now I truly know how they felt, having to defend themselves......take this post for what ever you want. I have stated the facts, I'll wait to hear from them. I hope they do post on this site.

I am wondering if maybe the bill was in pesos? Not all restaurants have bills in american dollars? If your friends paid for the shots and the salsa and chips were included then $7.00 us funds seems right, or maybe later the staff realized they did not charge you for the chips and salsa....or did not notice the shots had been paid and then were coming back to you for an additional $12 US or $120 pesos?

This is only an observation and question. I do not dispute your experience what so ever, and I am sure it was very upsetting! Sometimes an lack of ability to communicate in the language of the country you are visiting can perpetuate an innocent misunderstanding;) :D

Smiles,Connie

I am wondering if maybe the bill was in pesos? Not all restaurants have bills in american dollars? If your friends paid for the shots and the salsa and chips were included then $7.00 us funds seems right, or maybe later the staff realized they did not charge you for the chips and salsa....or did not notice the shots had been paid and then were coming back to you for an additional $12 US or $120 pesos?

This is only an observation and question. I do not dispute your experience what so ever, and I am sure it was very upsetting! Sometimes an lack of ability to communicate in the language of the country you are visiting can perpetuate an innocent misunderstanding;) :D

Smiles,Connie

Thanks for the smiles, Connie......I also thought it was pesos, but the manager kept insisting that the total amount due was US$........The communications in english only stopped when the managers figures did not add up and then he was unable to understand. I really didn't want to give them my cc by then and just paid with cash. During my conversations with the manager, I told him that this just could not be in US $, because we only had the 2 drinks and 2 shots, plus the chips and dips........We have traveled throughout the world, including my living for extended time periods in many countries and yes, I wish I spoke the local language.......This was not a misunderstanding on their part. This was outright theivery.... When I tried to explain that this bill could not possibly be that much in US $, he just reverted back to pretending not to understand. Anyway, thanks again for the smiles. I just wanted to warn folks not to run a tab. We love mexico and have plans to spend 6 months to live there to learn the language.......:)

Bienvenidos!!! These things happen. When I was in college, a group of us got locked up at The Shrimp Bucket in Mazatlan. Same thing.....trying to extort money. My husband just got a ridiculous speeding ticket in PV too. I think they were looking for some big bucks but since he is fluent is Spanish, they couldn't use "lack of language skills" to make any money.

Your #1 defense to protect yourself from these situations is to learn the language. No one messes with us. In fact, our restaurant tabs are usually less than they should be. I think there is respect since we only communicate in Spanish. Sorry that happened to you. Senor Frogs has bad food too :).

Although we love Mexico....they will mess with you at the bars. We have experienced it a couple of times. When we were in Cozumel we ran a tab at a resort and they tried to charge us more. Also our friend gave the bartender at Senor Frogs a $20 for a beer and they tried to give him change for a $10. He called them on it and received the right change back. We now never never run a tab there.

Just think about it. How many people come off the ship run a tab at a bar proceed to get hammered and don't keep track of their purchases.;)

What kind of tequila were you drinking? If you were sucking down Don Julio 1942, you got off pretty cheap. Maybe that was the issue :). Trust me!!!! I'm not defending Senor Frogs but you never said what you were drinking and there is a BIG variance. And, in Mexico, it is always worth it to order and SEE top shelf being poured into your glass. Unless of course, you see the bartender fill Don Julio bottles up with Souza when they think no one is looking.

What kind of tequila were you drinking? If you were sucking down Don Julio 1942, you got off pretty cheap. Maybe that was the issue :)

Exactly the thought I had...

There is CHEAP Tequila and there is REALLY GOOD Tequila...and everything in between...

A few years back, we did an excursion in Puerto Vallarta to a Tequila Distillery--Perfidio

We had the samples along the tour and thought it was pretty good...I mentioned to my wife that maybe we should buy a bottle of the Anejo to take home...We get to the end of the tour and they are selling bottles in a little gift shop...There's a sign next to a liter bottle of Anejo that says "$295"...

We ask the guy "That's Pesos, right?"

He says, "No, that's in US Dollars"...

Even though it was really good stuff, we decided to pass...

Now, if I walked into a bar in Mexico...or in the US, I would never assume they are just pouring me the cheap stuff...

I'd SPECIFY...

Otherwise, you just might get surprised...

So, the other important question is HOW DID YOU ORDER those drinks and shots? Did you point to something? Or just say one of those? Or did you choose a Tequila without understanding what it was?

My guess is that you absentmindedly ordered shots of what actually would be MODERATELY priced sipping anejo blue agave tequila...likely $25 to $30 per shot in US $, believe it or not...

The bar manager is probably telling people down there about the jerk Gringo who ordered 4 drinks of expensive tequila, then argued about and refused to pay the bill...And how he tried to save him from embarassment by taking him away from the crowds into a private area...And, no matter how he tried to explain it, the guy just didn't understand...or want to understand...and how the guy shortchanged him and he had to go running after him for the rest of the money...

As to the camera, I would NEVER walk off anywhere and leave my camera...That's clearly your fault...

Archived