How are the beaches in Cancun Hotel Zone?

IBookHePays

Planning a land vacation (in between two cruises of course!) and I'm wondering if anyone has been to this area lately. We're concerned, natually, about the errosion on the beaches. We were thinking about the Marriott Casa Magna.

Anyone have any information? Trip advisor has a lot of reviews, but they are either glowing reports or total disasters. Hard to tell what's true! Thanks for any help you can give:)

unfortunately it's hard to get a good read on the beach conditions because it truly does change from day to day, week to week and resort to resort.

Someones report of the beach today could be totally different than what you see during your trip.

In general, the Marriott's are located on the long side of the 7, which gets pounded pretty hard by any tropical activity. From years past, the beaches are narrower than they have been, and steeper or at a downhill slant. but chair availability is totally up to the hotel and how many they put out. Being able to go into the water, is totally up to Mother Nature.

The negative comments on the beach could be from people comparing it to something back home, rather than the rest of Cancun. I'm only aware of a few areas that totally lost all their beach. This isn't one of those areas.

hope it helps. it's actually changing daily, regardless of major or minor storms. After Wilma things just haven't been the same on the beaches. The way our beach looks on Saturday when we get there is completely different from how it looks on Wednesday. Good Luck!

Once again, thank you for replying...so now that I have booked air, and the Marriott (can cancel by June 18) should I keep looking for another location where the beach might be better? I keep second guessing myself and I know there are no difinitive answers but I appreciate any input.

All I can say is from my own perspective I would just make sure you'll be happy with your accommodations and the location within the hotel zone. Over the years I've seen the beach come n go, and actually be completely gone. I've been during rain, sunshine and hurricanes. I love my resort, even though we're not the kind of folks that stay at the resort 24/7, so my vacations are always wonderful regardless of what Mother Nature has in store for us. we view it as even a rainy day in Cancun is better than a day at work at home.

If the beach at your hotel isn't great, all the beaches in Cancun are federal property, meaning anyone can use any of them. Playa Delfines a public beach is not terribly far from the Marriotts, but I've not been hearing horrendously bad things about their beach. Also, for a good beach/snorkel fix you can also plan a day trip to Isla Mujeres.

• 4 weeks later...

I really appreciate the link to Cancun Beaches. What a great idea. We will be in Cancun Dec. 2008-Jan.2 2009 and are trying to figure out where to stay. I love to snorkel, would not mind an all-inclusive, and the beach is important. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Hotel zone? Playa del Carmen area? Riviera Maya?

I'll be going to Oasis Palm Beach in a few weeks with my kids

not sure what beaches we will be seeing in addition to our own

we are going to try out the Oasis Runaway program , visiting the other Oasis Hotels in Cancun:) Hopefully the weather will co operate with us ;)

I really appreciate the link to Cancun Beaches. What a great idea. We will be in Cancun Dec. 2008-Jan.2 2009 and are trying to figure out where to stay. I love to snorkel, would not mind an all-inclusive, and the beach is important. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Hotel zone? Playa del Carmen area? Riviera Maya?

if you haven;t already, check out the Trip Advisor Cancun forum . Much more posters on there than here.

But wanted to add that you mentioned you love to snorkel. The only hotel that will have some snorkeling near it would be club med. Otherwise there's not much to see off the shores of Cancun. You might also look into Playa del Carmen or one of the islands.

• 1 month later...
I'll be going to Oasis Palm Beach in a few weeks with my kids

not sure what beaches we will be seeing in addition to our own

we are going to try out the Oasis Runaway program , visiting the other Oasis Hotels in Cancun:) Hopefully the weather will co operate with us ;)

Hope you had a great time....how were the beaches? :)

We will be in the Cancun area next December. We're actually going to stay in Playa del Carmen. We rented a condo there.

I'm not sure which beaches you mean... We returned from a Caribbean cruise the last week of March. It started raining in Fort Lauderdale when were set sail. It rained on and off. It was pretty miserable in St. Thomas and Tortolla. However, we had a great time in St. Maarten. We got of the ship and walked down the boardwalk adjacent to the beach. We rented beach loungers and umbrellas for $10 for both of us for the entire day. We hung out there the entire day. It was a short walk to the pier to catch the ferry. The beach at St. Maarten was great.

We were just at the J.W. Marriott about a month ago in March. There is a narrow beach in front of both JW and Casa Magna. There is enough room for a row of beach chairs. The palapas have been repaired, but there is not much room. There is "caution" tape on many of the stairs leading to beach from the JW. Not sure if all the stairs are open at the Casa Magna. If you are looking for a wide expanse of sand, you won't find it in the hotel zone along the back of the "seven" where the Marriotts are located. Also, the water is very rough in this area and there are lots of shells and coral. There were people in the water, but it was too rough for my family. We just stayed at the pool. I'm not being negative just realistic. We actually thought the JW was lovely and Cancun very pretty. I have a review on Tripadvisor and lots of pictures of the hotel and beach in front of JW and Casa Magna on webshots. Enjoy

Here is the link: http://travel.webshots.com/album/562772190cJkguf

Archived