Detour to Progresso

PACURN

Sadly, due to hurricane damage, our Port of Call to Grand Caymen will not be happening. So far the substitute port has been this one. It doesn't soung that exciting. I have read the threads and I belive we will do the Merida and Ruins together. My thoughts are to see Merida first and then go to the ruins. Does that sound right. I'm thinking if I swim at the ruins I will be wanting to get back to the ship for a shower, not shopping. I also got a name of one resturant from the threads, any other suggestions. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

If you enjoy old world archetecture and culture you will really enjoy the honest, authentic spanish colonial city of Merida. It is in no way similar to Cancun or Cozumel. It's a large city which appreciates it's history and culture. Mexico at it's finest. I was hoping my cruise would be going there instead of GC but we will be going to Costa Maya.

I'd rather go to Merida / Progresso than Grand Cayman anyway. If you have a choice consider doing the ruins in the morning while it is still cool outside. It is still pretty hot this time of year.

Are you doing these on your own or through the cruise line? The reason I ask is that you mentioned swimming which I believe is only offered at Chichen Itza (though I could be wrong) and not Uxmal. The Chichen Itza tour is also a long one I believe so you may not have time to do both. I believe the tour does stop for shopping at some point though, but I don't know where.

hdawson - thanks for the positive info. We will be going to Costa Maya also. we wil be seeing alot of Mexico. Hopefully it will be decent weather.

screamwithme - Dzibichaltun is where people swim.There is a spring that fills a "cenote", which is a hole in the ground. People swim in it. Sounds fun don't you think?? Chichen Itza is a long trip. I'm not sure I want to travel that far. The above mentioned one is right out of merida. Much closer.

Archived