travel insurance - question regarding unrelated traveling companions

My boyfriend and I are going on a cruise in April and I'm looking into travel insurance. I've been reading the fine print, but can't seem to find a clear explanation of what happens if two unrelated people are traveling together and one person has a family emergency. If both people purchased insurance, can both receive trip cancellation or interruption reimbursement (providing both have this coverage), or would only the person whose immediate family member is critically ill/deceased be reimbursed? I have 4 grandparents who are all rather medically fragile, so I am worried. (As long as I get a policy that waives pre-exisiting conditions, that should cover me if I need to cancel my trip due to one of them being critically ill, correct?).

Ok, I found the answer I was looking for...

I found that at least one company, M.H. Ross, has a policy written in plain English :rolleyes: that says it includes personal sickness, family sickness, traveling companion sickness, or sickness in traveling companion's family.

It also includes scuba diving, so I guess we have a winner! Hopefully we won't have to use it!!!!

My boyfriend and I are going on a cruise in April and I'm looking into travel insurance. I've been reading the fine print, but can't seem to find a clear explanation of what happens if two unrelated people are traveling together and one person has a family emergency. If both people purchased insurance, can both receive trip cancellation or interruption reimbursement (providing both have this coverage), or would only the person whose immediate family member is critically ill/deceased be reimbursed? I have 4 grandparents who are all rather medically fragile, so I am worried. (As long as I get a policy that waives pre-exisiting conditions, that should cover me if I need to cancel my trip due to one of them being critically ill, correct?).

Hi H20life,

A common Traveling Companion definition is "a person or persons with whom you have coordinated travel arrangements and intend to travel with during the Trip. And shares the same accommodations as You."

And it sounds like you already found this out.

However, you might have some trouble getting insurance if your relatives aren't "Medically Stable". Travel insurance covers cancellation, interruption and medical treatment for unexpected illnesses and injuries. The question is "What constitutes an unexpected illness or injury?

Medically Stable includes the idea that nothing is foreseen or expected to "be a turn for the worse".

I suggest you ask any company you're considering buying from if your Grandparents will be "Medically Stable" under their policy.

I hope this helps.

Archived