Monarch of the Seas question???

Happy Election Tuesday everyone!

Does anyone know why that after October of this year, I am not able to find information on a 3 day cruise out of the LA Harbor? I am in the process of making reservations and was going to compare the cost to the Carnival Paradise and I no longer see this information? The ship was the Monarch of the Seas, I was wondering if they were replacing it? or maybe it is to soon to look at April of 09, however you think you would be able to go farther then Oct 08.

Thanks all,

Chris

here's a good rumor I heard while on the Monarch: Ensenada wanted higher port charges and RCL refused, therefore they are pulling out of the short Baja cruises. This was from a passenger (our tablemate) who reads the BAJA newspapers because he was seriously trying to buy retirement property there.

I recall reading that all of the Mexican ports will have increased charges, not just Ensenada. But I can't remember where I read that.

RCI doesn't seem to make enough money on Monarch. The fares are discounted from the fall to the spring. I took a peek at the prices once she moves to PC and they are higher, at least in the SO and JS categories. I've been told by staffers that the passengers onboard, although they (ok, WE:o ) consume their fair share of alcohol, don't buy stuff from the shops or at the art auctions, so the profit margin simply isn't sufficient to keep the ship here instead of moving her to replace Sovereign.

Mariner will be replacing Vision for the 7-night runs, but taking a cruise on her will require taking a week off, which doesn't work for those of us who took Monarch as a nice long weekend cruise without having to take a day off. We'll miss the old gal, and I guess we'll be doing some driving for those weekend getaways!

October 13th, 08' last sailing. Off to Florida, we get Mariner.

I spoke with the Hotel Director 2 weeks ago while on Monarch at a C&A party, and he said they have no future plans in the works to replace Monarch, and he was even baffled. Oh well, glad I got to cruise on her 3 times anyway.

What a fun weekend and ship, we will miss Monarch dearly. :(

Wow, thanks everyone for the input!

I can't believe they will not have the short cruise out of Long Beach after October. I hope this won't give Carnival the thought to raise their prices for the 3-4 day cruises, since they won't have any competition. I was hoping for a newer ship not yet announced, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Thanks again,

Chris

RCI doesn't seem to make enough money on Monarch. The fares are discounted from the fall to the spring. I took a peek at the prices once she moves to PC and they are higher, at least in the SO and JS categories. I've been told by staffers that the passengers onboard, although they (ok, WE:o ) consume their fair share of alcohol, don't buy stuff from the shops or at the art auctions, so the profit margin simply isn't sufficient to keep the ship here instead of moving her to replace Sovereign.

!

The Art auctions are so overpriced I'm surprised they stay in business. If they had put more shops onboard with things people really buy they wouldn't have a hard time selling. There is a limit to how much perfume and watches one can buy :mad:

The Art auctions are so overpriced I'm surprised they stay in business. If they had put more shops onboard with things people really buy they wouldn't have a hard time selling. There is a limit to how much perfume and watches one can buy :mad:

I agree --- as a three time Monarch 'quick getaway' cruiser, I would have enjoyed 'different' things in the shops -- by the second or third cruise, you really don't even go into them. It might be tilting at windmills -- but there is such a need for a getaway cruise offering -- and it could be so much more than just a shorty 'regular' cruise by tailoring the shops etc. to that demographic.

We will miss Her!!

I hope this won't give Carnival the thought to raise their prices for the 3-4 day cruises, since they won't have any competition.

They already have, at least the couple of 3-nighters I checked out. I keep thinking we'll have to try it once, but people whom I trust (hi, Kathy!) keep deterring me.

Yeah, I could see that. There's not much shopping available on board, and once you've done the trip once, you've seen it all. I actually bought some art on the last cruise, at a pretty good deal. But most of the stuff they are trying to sell is in the thousands, and just isn't going to sell to the types of people who take these short getaway cruises.

Though, I still find it hard to believe that RCI would let Carnival be the sole provider of these short trips, especially when the Monarch is always cruising full.

Archived