10 Day Pride of Aloha Report

mbisson

Got back yesterday really early AM, from Hawaii (sailing Jan 23-Feb 2). Had a wonderful time. There were many who complained about the cruise when I met them on board but overall we were pleased. Guess I was lucky and didn't share the problems that some had. Here's a quick rundown of our experience:

Arrival/Checkin/Embarkation:

Could not have been better! To begin, our plane arrived about 20 minutes early (landed about 12:30 in the afternoon). Baggage claim was a snap and only about 25 minutes after leaving the plane, we were outside waiting for a Roberts shuttle (which arrived in about another 30 minutes). $5 pp one way to the ship. Once there-WOW! We breezed thru checkin. We're gold latitudes members and the suites/VIP/Latitudes Gold and Platinum checkin is a small separate area a few feet away from the regular checkin line. I'd like to say we had no wait, but there was one couple in line ahead of us. After we were checked in James, the Concierge, greeted us and explained the services he would provide. Total time from Plane landing to being on the ship--LESS THAN 2 HOURS-AMAZING (closer to an hour and a half).

Our cabin:

Our cabin was a standard inside on deck 10 under the pool area. Only noticed noise from above a couple times (I think we might've been directly under the shuffleboard area). ;)

Upon entering the cabin I immediately noticed our "welcome aboard basket" with fruit and a bottle of wine. I don't know if the wine is a standard item in the basket or if it's the one my PCC said she would send when we booked with her. Either way-we enjoyed the Chardonnay!

We had expected to bring my sister in law with us, so I booked a cabin for 4 knowing that even that would be cramped. We sailed the Aloha when she was the Norwegian Sky a few years ago so I knew exactly what I was getting into. The cabin could use a bit more cabinet space but we got by and kept some items in our suitcases which we would slide under the bed (using the suitcases somewhat like drawers themselves).

We had an excellent cabin steward. Service was prompt, good and we had several towel animals-what more could we want?

Tendering Ports:

James had our Priority VIP Tender tickets delivered to our cabin the night before we arrived at ports that required tendering. It was done automatically and we never had to request them. Worked like a charm BUT I did feel bad (in a way ;) ) for barging past guests who had lined up to board tenders and heard a few "just who do you think you are comments".

Excursions/Car rentals & such:

I can't comment about the NCL excursions as I didn't use them. BUT--our first port was KONA and we went on the Historic Kona tour with Roberts. Our price was $25 pp. Basically the same excursion thru NCL was about $50. Another company (Polynesian Adventure Tours - Gray Line) was selling the tour at the dock for those who didn't book with them in advance for $18. I can't speak for Gray Line, but if you are on a Roberts tour and they don't get you back to the ship on time, they guarantee to pay your expenses, (including transportation, food and lodging if necessary) to get you to the next port to catch the cruise. It's a guarantee that we didn't have to use :D

We rented cars in the remaining ports with no problems at all EXCEPT for one. At the end of the cruise we sailed back to Honolulu and did an on-board overnight there. On the first morning we had a rental reservation with Hertz. We went to their shuttle at about 9am and had the car just before 10. The rental office was only a few blocks from the ship and they don't open until 9 BUT they close at 5PM. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but we were scheduled to do an all day tour of Pearl & Honolulu with drop off at our hotel for a couple of days in Waikiki afterward so the car would have to be back before the tour started.

The Hertz agent said "No problem. Take the car to the airport when we need to turn it in. If there aren't any shuttles running we'll deduct $10 from the rental to get you back to the ship". Well, we basically drove around the island, stopping the see the sights, take pictures and visit the Dole Plantation. Knowing it would be dark sometime around 6 we were back in Honolulu at 5:30, too late to return the car where rented, so we went directly to the airport. $25 drop off fee that the agent had neglected to mention and we had to argue for the $10 reduction (the shuttle was running but not to the pier). Finally got the $10 but the cab fare was $25. Oh well, lesson learned-if I do it again, I'll make sure that our rental is from an airport facility.

All of our car rentals were booked in advance with Roberts Hawaii at $35 per day (there was an additional $5 in taxes when we picked up the cars)

DINING and DINING ROOM SERVICE:

This is such a subjective subject I am hesitant to even bring it up, but here goes and remember this is my opinion only.

Overall, we were more than pleased. I had one meal which I didn't like, but it was an item I had never had before so it could've been fine (and maybe I just don't like it). Some of the items we had in the main rooms were: Prime Rib (good), Beef Wellington (despite what some have said it is there one night and was also good), Rare Mahi Mahi (somewhat overcooked), Lobster Tail (it was also a good "eat" and I paired it up with the Prime Rib & made my own 'surf & turf' meal), schezwan duck stir fry (that's the one I didn't care for). BTW-the "always available" turkey dinner was also good.

Service in the main room (to us) was varied. The first night we had what may be the worst waiter I've experienced at sea (now14 cruises) in the Crossings Dining room. A couple sitting with us (who we saw on several other occasions) refused to go back to that dining room fearing they would have him again. I'll just say he was way too informal, to me, even for a dining room that would allow jeans. I thought he would sit down an put up his feet LOL. Then he actually started to insult the other couple (I'm sure he meant it as jokes, but it just didn't come out that way). Other than that experience though, we had good to excellent servers in the main dining rooms.

I've seen some say that it took them up to 3 hours to eat in the main dining rooms. All I can say is that by eating early (just after the initial rush) or by waiting until just after the first show in the showroom none of our dinners took more than 2 hours, most took less than one and a half. I almost felt rushed.

We also had one additional charge meal in Pacific Heights. I went with the Mahi Mahi there and it just may have been the best fish meal I've eaten in my life (and I eat a lot of fish, usually salmon & halibut). Others raved about the sea bass.

For breakfasts on board, some days we did the main dining room, sometimes the buffet. We enjoyed both. Lunches were usually done ashore so I can't comment much except to say that if you're on board, Pacific Heights has a couple of outstanding ice cream selections each day. Try the Kona Coffee Ice cream with nuts and chocolate sauce-tastes like a snickers bar!

ENTERTAINMENT:

Typical NCL fare. But that's fine by us we enjoy it. Had a stand-up comic that obviously has no liking for families that cruise with children. Someday maybe he'll have one of his own.

The wife went to several of the cultural sessions with Iune (the on board Cultural Ambassador). Mrs Monte can now make 3 different kinds of leis (KuKui Nut, Ribbon, Flower) and I think they all look darn good.

We saw loads of whales from on board and I've whale watched enough in Alaska that we decided against doing a whale watch in the islands, in order to spend more time on the islands.

There was a Noro outbreak around the middle of the cruise that slowed service somewhat in the dining rooms and buffet. I have no idea how serious it was, but we thought they did a good job of fighting it.

We were unable to dock in Hilo due to the weather. I really wanted to see Volcano Natl Park so - Bummer-but now I have a reason to go back.

So without dwelling any deeper that's about it. The islands are truly beautiful and I can't wait to go back again, either on a land vacation or another cruise. I'm working on adding some photos to my webshots link but they're not up yet. I have 6 or 7 hundred to week thru so it might be a couple days.

Mahalo

-Monte

BTW-I meant to include that there was not yet any sign of freestyle 2.0 on the Aloha.

BUT-I talked to several crew members who said that their dept heads had been going to meetings and it would be implemented soon!

Also, I usually try to get a Tee shirt or Hat from the ship (with the ships name on it). In the Aloha gift shop there was only one tee that had all sizes (and it was more than I'd pay-and ugly). There were a few styles of closeouts in sizes small and medium only.

Thanks for the review. I'm so excited now. This time next week I'll be on my way. Unfortunately on the 9 or 10 hour flight, but on the way nonetheless.:)

You had some lousy weather, didn't you?

I wish I could join you and show you what we saw ;) . I'll try to get our pictures up today so you can see them if you want, but there are so many it'll be without captions. Lots of pictures of flowers and scenery, not a lot of the ship, sorry. I'll send you a PM on that other board when they're up if you would like.

Yes, our weather was pretty bad much of the time. They day after we drove to the summit of Haleakala it was closed due to snow. It was funny to see us running around up there in flip flops, shorts and tees, while others were bundled up in their polar gear. Compared to what we had left, it was warm there. When you leave temps below zero F even 40F seems warm.

They were also having floods on the big island before we flew home. Looked pretty nasty on TV. Even the other islands were getting flash flood warnings--but we still had a good time!!!

Thanks for the review, Monte! Sounds like y'all had a nice time. :)

You know it Becky :D

BTW-photos are uploading right now if anyone wants to peak. How many photos of hybiscus flowers can anyone take? But I'll get on thinning the garden soon!

Thanks for the great review....Sounds like you had a great time....This time next week we will be on the ship.. I can't wait and your pictures were super.. :D

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Like I tried to convey, those were my impressions only and many seemed to be not pleased with their cruise. I don't want anyone to think I'm belittling their opinions or problems, only that I didn't experience those problems. If someone had a problem that's important to them, that's good enough to me. (except for the guy who complained about how all the food was bad, but he had to let his belt out so much he needed to buy a new belt)

Monte - Welcome back. Sounds like a few things weren't quite what you'd hoped but you didn't let it spoil your cruise. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

It's been quiet here without you. Glad you're back.

Webshots uploaded over 400 of my photos, but there are still about 100 floating around in cyberspace (they sent me notification that they're having server problems).

You should be able to view the ones that are there, just follow the link below.

-Monte

Archived