Things to do in Barcelona!!

We are thinking of tacking on a couple days in Barcelona post cruise and would love recommendations.

Not necessarily historical cultural things (we have a couple guide books) but rather places to experience the local culture. Not big drinkers so we usually pass on the bar scene but love local cafes and shops.

Check and see what concerts are being offered. We stumbled onto a wonderful guitar concert in the cathedrale in Placa del Pi (where we were staying). I regret that we did not go to another the next night at the Gaudi music hall (I forget the name).

Of course the food market...but also look in the small alleys off Rambles for the chocolate shops and treat yourself to hot chocolate!!!

Barcelona is one of our favorite cities.

We are thinking of tacking on a couple days in Barcelona post cruise and would love recommendations.

Not necessarily historical cultural things (we have a couple guide books) but rather places to experience the local culture. Not big drinkers so we usually pass on the bar scene but love local cafes and shops.

These are the things we did on a recent trip...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c74524/Barcelona:Spain:Things.To.Do.html

And many of the places we ate...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c74530/Barcelona:Spain:Dining.Suggestions.html

Pjk

Walk the "rambla", if you can do it on the evening or a weekend, since there are more street performers...it is always a nice place to take a walk, and the street begins at the port.

Also, close to the port there is a very nice bar/cafe that is attached to the wax musseum (but you need to pay no entrance) that I particularly enjoy for having a beer, because it has very nice decoration. It is called "El bosc des fades" I think. It may be a bit expensive, though, but to have just one beer (or maybe cofee) is OK. The entrance is a bit hidden, as you walk up the rambla from the port you will see the sign on the right on an arc over a small street (If I recall right). It's is very close to the port so, if you reach the metro station then go back since you have missed it.

If you are into architecture, you can see all the different buildings and parks by Gaudí, specially the cathedral (Sagrada Familia) wich still remains unfinished.

Regards

Barcelona is a great city to visit, very busy and vibrant! There are tons of things to see, but be prepared for a lot of crowds.

Of course, Gaudi's architecture is heavily touted, and is pretty fantastic. We really enjoyed the Casa Batlo for a close-up view of his work. Of course, Sagrada Familia is amazing, even if you don't brave the crowds and go in for a closer look.

The hop-on-hop-off bus is a good deal for tourists, as mentioned by other posters. The pick-up points at Plaza de Catalunya are PACKED - the lines there are really long, and while the buses come frequently, I'd recommend walking to another stop on the route if you can. We went on the Red Line, if my memory is correct, and it took us past Park Guell and Sagrada Familia, as well as many other sites. The bus ride itself took about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Barcelona is also a great walking city, and distances are always shorter than they seem on the map, so don't be afraid to hoof it around town, too!

Cal Pep, in La Ribera, is a great place to eat tapas. It's very popular, so get there early or be prepared to wait. The owner there is quite a character, and makes his presence known. People really do eat later in Barcelona; most people don't go to a restaurant until after 9pm. We also at at Tapas Tapas on Paseig de Gracia; it was pretty touristy, but the tapas were pretty good and it's in a convenient location.

Don't forget to drink hot chocolate and churros! According to my photo, we enjoyed them at a place called "Churreria Granja" on La Princesa in or near the Borne district, where we stayed.

We stayed in a studio rather than an hotel, and it was perfect for us. It was in the Borne district, a close walk to Las Ramblas and many sites in Barcelona, but still felt very "neighborhood-y" and was a nice alternative to staying in a hotel.

Hope this info is helpful! Enjoy Barcelona - it really is a great city.

Archived