Don Ho Show

Michelle!

Hi everyone...I grew up listening to Tiny Bubbles as my mother had this thing for Don Ho!

Has anyone ever been to his show? Is it worth the $$$? It is more of a nostalgia visit I guess, but, I think my mother would love it. (I am travelling with my mother (66) and my son (9).

Any info would be great!

Michelle!

Michelle, when are you coming? We plan on going this summer as my MIL is visiting and wants to go. I can report back.

I havent been, but I understand it is reasonable...his granddaughter performs with him.

They have 3 options...cocktail and show, dinner and show and just show. My understanding is that it is best to grab a bite somewhere else and then see the show. Cocktails are up to you.

Also, the entertainment book offers 50% off up to 4 people for the cocktail and show option so that might make it worth it for you.

www.donho.com

aloha!

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suebee:

Michelle, when are you coming? We plan on going this summer as my MIL is visiting and wants to go. I can report back.

I havent been, but I understand it is reasonable...his granddaughter performs with him.

They have 3 options...cocktail and show, dinner and show and just show. My understanding is that it is best to grab a bite somewhere else and then see the show. Cocktails are up to you.

Also, the entertainment book offers 50% off up to 4 people for the cocktail and show option so that might make it worth it for you.

http://www.donho.com

aloha!

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SueBee: We made reservations for 9/2 to see the show, so I will look forward to your review. We booked the dinner show, but may re-think and do cocktails only with the Entertainment book. Thanks! Bob

Pride of Aloha 9/5/04

PS: I see that Hooters (Aloha Towers) opens at 10AM, so hopefully they will be showing NFL football games on 9/12! (We are HUGE Philly Eagles fans!). We can get off the ship and go watch the game. Bob

Back in June 2002, we went and saw his show. It was entertaining. We did the show and cocktail. It wasn't the best I have ever seen nor was it the worse, but hey you have to see Don Ho at least once. I liked it when he interacted with the pre-teen kids. He does a mixture of talking and singing his popular songs.

Shelly

Shelly

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;04;11;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

04/11/04 Coral Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;02;13;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

02/13/05 Pride of Aloha

Norweigan Wind 03/03

Norweigan Star 10/03

Shelley - Was there an opportunity for a photo with Don Ho? Your own or one to buy?

My Mom has a photo of her mother with him shortly before she died - I would love to get one with me and my daughter and then frame the photos together.

Can't imagine my 11 year old would care for the show but she would understand the photo opportunity logic.

Thanks

Tina

Ah yes...time moves on. Don Ho performing with his granddaughter, a chance for a picture of a mother and grandmother with him, and an 11 year old knows what a photo op is. icon_wink.gif

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

Tina,

If memory serves me correct, there is a small intermission to have a photo taken with Don.

We didn't do this, but I did snap a picture of him after the show in the lobby signing autographs for people who purchased his CD's.

You might get lucky and see him perform with his daughter Hoku. She wasn't there for our show. He did show a music video of hers. One very proud Papa.

Shelly

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;04;11;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

04/11/04 Coral Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;02;13;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

02/13/05 Pride of Aloha

Norweigan Wind 03/03

Norweigan Star 10/03

Hi Everyone,

Sounds like I'm not as crazy as I thought for wanting to see this!

Suebee - I will be taking the repo from Vancouver September 17 - so sometime between the 28 and the 1st of October. If you have an update later this year that would be great!

I really think this will be lovely for my mom, I remember her playing all his records over and over (I think one was K-Tel!) I'm sure we will be first in line, K-tel in hand, waiting for an autograph!

Cheers everyone!

Michelle!

Well everyone...I will be going in July so I will report back on the Don Ho Show, Hale Koa Luau and Polynesian Cultural Center among other things.

Aloha

NCL Star 1/04

Suebee,

Glad you can give an updated report on the Don Ho Show.

I'm very interested to hear about the Hale Koa Luau. Give details. icon_biggrin.gif My Dad is retired Army and this might be a good luau to take him to. I haven't been to the luau but my Mom and I ate there on our land trip (same trip that included Don Ho). Really enjoyed it. In October we were going to have dinner there while on that end of Waikiki, but Dad was the only one who had ID to get onto the property. He had his military ID and they would have let us in with him but we didn't even have Driver's Licenses on us. They were back at our hotel.

Okay I've rambled enough.

Thanks

Shelly

04/11/04 Coral Princess

02/13/05 Pride of Aloha

Norweigan Wind 03/03

Norweigan Star 10/03

We had eaten at Koko's and Bibas there....and the outdoor hamburger shack.

Koko's is great....we brought friends there and had 5 alcoholic drinks, 2 Mahi-Mahi meals, two beef meals and the bill was $60! A great price. We ate at Bibas the other night and it was o.k. I had a hard time choosing which meal I wanted and I ended up with a salad and appetizer. But the kids loved their meals.

The just finished the new pavilion for the luau so I am interested in that too.

Well, they arent carding these days to get onto the property but they were this fall....I think it comes and goes.

Take care and look for updates in July!

Sue

NCL Star 1/04

• 1 month later...

Please, please, please do not waste your money on this show!!! My wife and I just came back from Waikiki. We bought tickets for his show (& dinner) at the Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel for my wife's parents who are in their early 60's. They came back from the show severely dissappointed. In fact the were the 4th couple to leave the show early, that's how bad it was. Don Ho is well into his 70's and apparently from what my wife's parents saw shouldn't even be performing anymore; my opinion is that the hotel is trying to milk every penny from his name alone by still having this show. At the beginning of the show, he invited the audience to go out to the lobby and take pictures with him but it seemed like an activity just to stall or waste time and so it took 1/2 an hour (my wife's parents elected not to have a picture taken so they twiddled their thumbs waiting for the show to begin again.) He appeared to be either drunk or just senile as mumbled and slurred the words to the three songs that they bravely stayed for; at points during his singing he couldn't remember the lyrics to whatever song he was singing and pointed his mic to the audience so that they can "sing with him" but no one in the audience knew the lyrics and so these long moments of awkward silences while the band was playing would happen! My wife's parents were good sports about it and had a good time telling their story but we were not amused since we spent $105 for the tickets. Needless to say we talked to the concierge of the hotel who sold us the tix and told her to sway people away from paying for this show unless they don't mind wasting their money. I heard from that the variety entertainment show to see in Waikiki is Society of Seven at the Outrigger Waikiki so maybe you're better off with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suebee:

Thanks for the update...we will certainly steer my MIL from that this summer.

Suebee

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you know of the Society of Seven show instead..............?

Sorry, Absolutely nothing...never even heard of it. We dont get out much here! Ha ha! Maybe Spleen will have info when he gets back.

NCL Star 1/04

One positive thing that I failed to mention about my wife's parents' experience at Don Ho's dinner & show: they said the food was pretty good.

Oh, they also have a Polynesian themed magic show at the same hotel which we heard after the fact that is supposed to be pretty good.

The SOS show is a lot of fun. Would be fun to take a look. They do shows in Vegas too on occasion.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Michelle, by any chance are any of your party military or DOD civilian? The Hale Koa offers a Magic show, luau and polynesian show every week. The Magic Show in particular is geared towards small kids...nothing scarry or too big and they even have "Keiki" meals.

You probably have to be affiliated with the government to attend the shows, but its worth a try. www.halekoa.com

NCL Star 1/04

The Magic of Polynesia show seems OK for children though I've never seen the show myself.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Thanks Suebee and Spleen! I was sure that was the one I saw strictly no children. I am wrong again!

Sort of thinking this is another one of those shows where you want to eat somewhere else and just do the cocktail show again. Looks very entertaining.

Suebee, unfortunately, I have no US military immediate family, being from Canada - many cousins, aunts and uncles though. I seem to have that luck! Apparently I also had a cousin that used to operate a charter boat in Kona, but sadly retired last year??? Too bad for me, bad timing I guess.

Thanks for the info!

Michelle!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Aloha Vision of the Seas!

Archived