Mercury Cabin 1210

smudge's mom

I loved my sky suite on Deck 12 on the Mercury. There are very few staterooms on that deck; hence very quiet, with low foot traffic.

The balconies are huge - one of the biggest of any cruise ship - at 179 sq. feet. One of the great treats for me was being served meals outside by the butler.

The bathrooms are marble, with jacuzzi bathtubs.

I believe if you do a search for "Mercury sky suites" you will find threads by passengers who have given their opinions of their experiences on this ship and in this class of cabin.

Have a great time.

1210 has one of the cut-out balconies, so it's not as large as some of the others. I was in 1208 on Mercury, with a full balcony. One (or both) of the balconies on either side of mine was quite small in comparison.

Check the deck plans -- they accurately reflect the size and shape of balconies on this deck.

Smude's Mom,

No worries - even though your balcony has a cut-out, you will still have loads of room to dine out there!

The table is regulation height, with two comfortable padded chairs around it. Plenty of room for numerous plates and glassware. You can enjoy dinner (which will be served course-by-course) as well as a breakfast of eggs benedict in spacious surroundings.

rbrighin - Thanks for the pep talk. I was a little disappointed to find out that our balcony wasn't going to be one of the larger ones. But if the balcony is large enough to comfortably eat dinner, it should work out. The primary reason DH upgraded to that level of cabin was for the "dinner on the balcony" aspect.

How about the rest of the balcony - is there room for a couple of chaise lounges? Does the table and chairs stay out there all the time or would you have to substitute the chaises for the table and chairs if one would like to siesta in the sun?

Two chaise loungers are out there, along with the table and upright chairs. Nothing has to be moved inside or substituted. The balcony really is much bigger than ones you'll see on the penthouse deck sky suites. You will even be able to accommodate 5 or 6 guests out there, so have a cocktail party! (Your butler will be happy to help you arrange this, by the way.)

rbrighin - Found out last night that DH knew the shape of the veranda when he booked (shame on me for doubting his 'due diligence') - however, when he booked, the full sized verandas were already taken.

Thanks for letting me know that I can have both my chaise lounges and my dining table available at all times. That makes me feel so much better. :D

This will be our first butler experience. Can you tell me what other things they do for you? Is there any chance I can get my fridge stocked with canned soda? I am assuming I would have to pay for the soda, but having it available whenever I want it would be so great.

What about the bathtub in my cabin? Is it large enough to comfortably use. Sometimes bathtubs are really only big enough to bathe the kids - but I do so love a bath instead of a shower.

Any other "wisdom" you can pass on to make the most of our first suite experience? ;)

smudge's mom,

Your fridge will already be stocked with not only canned soda, but beer, small bottles of wine and all kinds of snacks. As you use items from the fridge they will be charged to your shipboard account, and will be replaced in the fridge daily. Be careful though, they are somewhat expensive.

I am under the impression I will have a bathtub but the Jacuzzi jetted tubs are in the royal suites and penthouses only. I so hope that I am wrong!

Booked in 1209

Good news, you're wrong!

On M-class ships the Royals have Jacuzzis out on the balcony, but all suites have Jacuzzi tubs in the bathrooms.

A word of caution about the Jacuzzi tubs: You only need a tiny bit of liquid soap to take a bubble bath. Too much and the tub will overflow with suds.

Smudge's Mom,

Check out my reply (as well as all the other replies) in the following thread; you should find the answers to some of your questions here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1944025#post1944025

juliejulz: yes, the sky suites on Deck 12 have jacuzzi jets in the bathtub, which is your standard (one person) size.

I stayed in 1210 for my honeymoon.....the veranda is very large, larger than some of the other suites. There are 2 lounge chairs and a table and you could easily have a party of 6 fit way more than comfortably on the veranda. The only thing to note is that joggers or other passenges below can see right onto your veranda past the overhang above you. If you want some extra privacy, keep your lounge chair closer to your cabin. You will still get lots of sun.

There is a small sitting area with a couch as well inside the cabin. The bathroom is a nice size, and the tub is wonderful! You will feel a little bit of rocking back and forth just because you are up so high. We had plenty of room in the cabin for dinner actually, we had to do it once b/c we came back late from a shore excursion.

Enjoy your trip...the ship is absolutely wonderful!

Hey Smudge's Mom....I can feel your excitement lol!

Check Orbitz (or your favorite online booking tool) at least weekly for Sky Suite availability on deck 12....things do open back up, especially 60 days out when final payment is due. I have booked before and then switched cabins when I saw something better in the same category. Just have your TA switch it pronto. One of the bigger balconies just might open up.

For some pics of Mercury sky suites, go here -- we have been on Mercury twice in a sky suite: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeffcoud2/album?.dir=c0cc&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeffcoud2/my_photos

and

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeffcoud2/album?.dir=87fc&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeffcoud2/my_photos

My favorite suite perk (which your butler can bring you) are free specialty coffees from the Cova Cafe.....I love having my capuccino every morning!!!

Jeff

Thanks. I'll pass on your suggestion to DH - he just checked and almost the entire cruise was sold out. But you're right - it makes sense that the best time to snatch a better cabin is when final payment is due and people decide to cancel.

Do you have any specific cabins you recommend or is any cabin with a full veranda a better choice?

Jeff - just looked over your photos. You're quite a good photographer - and the ship is beautiful.

Yes, the excitement is building. LOL

It's sure more fun anticipating a cruise, when you can talk to others who will share your cruise or have already experienced it. :D

Just wanted to jump in here with my opinion regarding full vs. cutaway verandahs -

Personally I prefer the cutaway balcony. The geometric angle you get is eye-pleasing and, depending on which part of the verandah it cuts, you get a terrific forward or rear-facing view of the ship when you stand there. It also opens up the balcony a bit more; you don't get that boxed-in feeling that full-size balconies (where both side partitions extend evenly out to the railing) can give.

Again, just my humble opinion . . .

Jeff, those are some of the best photos I have seen of the Mercury. I was intrigued by your photos of the various carpets on the ship. They looked like works of art from the way you photographed them. We will be sailing on the Mercury for the 12/6 sailing to the Mexican Riviera. Wish we could do a suite, but I am looking forward to our first veranda, and our first time sailing Celebrity.

Peggy

SM -- Any number of SS cabins would be nice...even with a slight cutaway. Just keep checkin'! Probably something will open up...seems to always happen! Thanks for the compliments on my photos!

Peggy -- I love taking pictures of carpet lol!

Jeff

We had the penthouse suite (1047) on mercury last oct (sf to mexico). Our butler gorge handled everthing for us. He stocked our full size refrig with whatever mixer or soft drink we needed. He was able to restock the Bar ( free) He served any room service we ordered. He delivered afternoon hors d'oeuvres. He also got us any DVDs, CDs, and priorty tendering tickets. He also handled other suites on our floor. Also penthouse has a Jacuzzi tub on deck and in master bath. I would definatly recomend an upgrade if possible. We upgraded from an outside cabin.

I am hoping I can overcome my reluctance to ask someone to wait on me enough to take advantage of my butler's wonderful service. (I have no problem at a dining table, but this "one on one" situation will feel strange to me.)

I am most interested in finding breakfast at my door. It will be great not to go to the buffet area in a rush to get something to eat prior to any excursions.

Our primary reason for the suite was dining on the veranda - however, I'm wondering - will the dinner food be warm when it's delivered? I am assuming the kitchen is a real "hike" from the suite area.

Our butler delivered breakfast at the time we specified. Since the suite has a full sized dining room he would deliver it while we slept. The food was sometimes cold be the time we woke. We would use the microwave to reheat the food.

I had dinner in my suite twice during my 12-day cruise, SM -

both times every course (from soup to main course of NY strip steak w/ baked potato) came to me by the butler piping hot . . . don't know how he did it, but I was delighted.

Archived