Opinions: Which is better for sail away?

CMK1970

This will be my first cruise..we are sailing on the Holiday and have a balcony..

So my question is.. which is better...to watch the sail away from your own balcony or on deck?

I would assume my own balcony but wasnt sure if there is anything special and not to miss on deck?

I have read that some muster drills prevent from seeing sail away but hopefully this will not be the case for us *keeping fingers crossed*;)

Please dont flame..if you think my question is stupid or silly just ignore...

TIA:)

This will be my first cruise..we are sailing on the Holiday and have a balcony..

So my question is.. which is better...to watch the sail away from your own balcony or on deck?

I would assume my own balcony but wasnt sure if there is anything special and not to miss on deck?

I have read that some muster drills prevent from seeing sail away but hopefully this will not be the case for us *keeping fingers crossed*;)

:cool: :cool: I love the activity and comradarie of being on the deck. You have a nice drink, with people you don't know watching the land disappear. On your balcony you only have the one view but privacy, from the deck you have all over view and lots of people. Try a sail off or landing from your balcony at one of the ports. Enjoy and happy cruising. You will be hooked.:cool: :cool:

Get out the champagne and initiate the balcony:eek:

LOL, knowing my luck it would be videotaped and end up being on the internet:eek: also we will have 3 teens with us so I do not want to traumatize them if they decide to join ole Mom & Dad on the balcony:p

I do like the thought of having champagne though;)

Thanks everyone for your replies...so far its leaning toward the deck...

Keep them coming!!!!:D

Definitely out on the deck! Our first cruise was out of Seattle -- which is where we live -- so it's not like we were seeing anything we'd never seen before! ;) But we were just so excited, as was everyone else up on the decks, that it just made it that much more fun. Plus a band was playing, the drinks were flowing...very cool!

Sailaway on the Mercury!

92532545-M.jpg

LOL, knowing my luck it would be videotaped and end up being on the internet:eek: also we will have 3 teens with us so I do not want to traumatize them if they decide to join ole Mom & Dad on the balcony:p

I do like the thought of having champagne though;)

Thanks everyone for your replies...so far its leaning toward the deck...

Keep them coming!!!!:D

Ya' know... I've done both and I'm thinkin' I'm a Lido Deck guy... Watching the dock slip away from the comfort of your balcony is great but there's something about that almost 11:59-on-New Year's Eve feeling that comes alive on the Lido Deck as the thrusters fire up, the ship starts to quiver a bit and move... Yeah... Lido Deck...

:D

:cool: :cool: I love the activity and comradarie of being on the deck. You have a nice drink, with people you don't know watching the land disappear. On your balcony you only have the one view but privacy, from the deck you have all over view and lots of people. Try a sail off or landing from your balcony at one of the ports. Enjoy and happy cruising. You will be hooked.:cool: :cool:

Agree 100%. Initial sailaway is an exciting feeling to be shared with all aboard. Port sailaways are in our cabin, on our balcony, with a huge tray of room service munchies and a drink together. De-sunning and relaxing before dinner. And whenever we're lucky....watching the "show below" - the latecomers running and screaming for the ship. We like watching the ship slowly move away from the pier as we reflect on our day...

I'd go with the crowd for the first cruise and stay on deck for sailaway. Infectious excitement!!!

If you are true introverts and the cruise is all about and only about the two of you, sail away on your balcony.

All of Holiday's balconies are up front (see photo below) ...

Holiday.jpg

From those balconies you can not see what is going on on the pool deck, which is where all the sail away action is. Go out on deck and you'll be able to see everything. Use the balcony later for watching the world go by, or when you enter into the port.

Thank you all for your advice and the pics!! So its the lido deck for the intitial sailaway and our balcony for port sailaway:D

You all have been great and I appreciate it:)

This is the reason I check this board almost everday;)

Archived