Albatross Colony-Dunedin

konatyme

We will be visiting Dunedin in Oct. 2008 on the Dawn Princess & thought we wanted to take one of the tours to the Otago Peninsula to visit the albatross colony & the penguins. I've been reading, however, that the viewing area at the albatross colony is closed at that time of year. Can anyone tell me whether or not it would still be worthwhile to take one of the tours that go there? Or would we be better off doing one of the boat tours off the peninsula rather than a land one? Any help by someone who has "been there/done that" would be greatly appreciated!:)

Konatyme, I searched on Google for Royal Albatross Centre and got the link.

Click on Tour Information.

The facility itself includes a lighthouse and military fort and is open every day,except Xmas, 9:00 AM to dusk in summer and 10-4 in winter.

The observatory is open from 11/24-9/16.Between those dates the birds are probably out to sea feeding and preparing for the new nesting season. The chicks we saw on 1/29 had hatched in early Jan.

The Celebrity tour also included the penguin reserve and Larnach Castle (lunch included). Without the albatross nests as the main attraction,I would skip it.

We will be visiting Dunedin in Oct. 2008 on the Dawn Princess & thought we wanted to take one of the tours to the Otago Peninsula to visit the albatross colony & the penguins. I've been reading, however, that the viewing area at the albatross colony is closed at that time of year. Can anyone tell me whether or not it would still be worthwhile to take one of the tours that go there? Or would we be better off doing one of the boat tours off the peninsula rather than a land one? Any help by someone who has "been there/done that" would be greatly appreciated!:)

We went on a tour with Elm Wildlife tours which was excellent. It included teh Albatross colony, and to a private beach to view penguins and seals. If you have the time, this is they best option for viewing wildlife in this area. Here is the albatross colony website. Email them for information. I believe they would be open.

As for the boat tours, this was an option with the Elm Wildlife tours, and we were to take a boat cruise on the Monarch, but due to winds making for rough water, that option was cancelled. Instead, we were taken to the albatross colony and viewed the albatross flying from the cliff next to the albatross center. Had we taken the boat, we would have seen the same but from the water level. I think we were fine doing without the monach boat cruise.

Anyhow, I urge you to look up elm wildlife tours, and hope you can book a tour with them, you'll never regret it.

We did the Natures Wonders tour when in Dunedin - we had intended to do the Albatross tour as well but like you the season wasn't right - I must say this tour was one of the best tours we have ever done - wonderful guides, stunning scenery, amazing wildlife and generally a real buzz - it is at the tip of the Otago peninsular - you actually have to drive by the Albatross centre - the link is http://www.otago-peninsula.co.nz/html/natures_wonders.html - honestly it was amazing!!!!!

Jane

I was there last week...I would skip it and go on the ferry ride. You are placed in a room with binoculars and shown a 10 minute movie before your climb up two steep hills to be put into this room. I was on a tour but was told the cost for this is $30! I wouldn't have paid $5! Everyone on our private tour thought it was a rip off, too.

I just returned from a cruise on the Mercury of Australia and New Zealand. Our favorite port was Dunedin. I booked a private tour with Elm Wildlife Tours. It was a complete day, but we went to the albatross colony, saw fur seals, penguins, and was close enough to the sea lions to touch them. Absolutely awesome! I can't recommend it enough!!!! pocoloco

I was there last week...I would skip it and go on the ferry ride. You are placed in a room with binoculars and shown a 10 minute movie before your climb up two steep hills to be put into this room. I was on a tour but was told the cost for this is $30! I wouldn't have paid $5! Everyone on our private tour thought it was a rip off, too.

Had you been told about the add on cost before hand?

So that we don't get "caught" that way, what com;pany was it that did this?

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you about our tour...we didn't have to pay the $30, it was included in the $139 (no lunch) we paid...but it was still a rip-off...stuck in a small room looking through binoculars. We used Arthur's Tours...he has a great website but for the money we did not get what was promised. We were suppose to see the penquins and did not. We did not go up the longest street, only went to the gift shop. No lunch place was organized to go to and so some of us ate pastries where possible and some had nothing. Use someone else.

I must agree that you may want to explore touring via ferry or an alternate itinerary. Arthur is a wonderful gentlemen, however for the value, condition of vehicle, no real organize lunch and/or lunch included is a bit pricey in comparison with others. Seeing the birds are nice, but the climb is rather steep up the hill!.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Jane Natures Wonder in Dunedin was by far the most exciting and wonderful tour we have ever done dont miss it. The albatros Colony is right beside the Natures Wonder I found it very boring but if you want to see the birds it is right there.

Dont miss Natures Wonder though you will be glad you did.

Leg

Pinksuit.................what other tour companies would you suggest?

thanks

Sorry for the delay. What I would do, is:

a. www.totaltravel.co.nz and check out the city in question for independent tours

b. Hire a independent guide @ port. You will be very pleased by doing so. This also gives you the flexibility to join other passengers that are interested in exploring the city or sites.

c. Take a look for comparison to see what's being offered via cruiseship.

Now, I must say that I do not want to mislead you in thinking that Arthur tours was bad. However, in comparison with all of the other tour companies that we hired for our shore trips, his fell below the bar a bit for the reasons explained earlier. I had a group of 15, so you can imagine that it is not always easy to please everyone. However, over all, this was the least enjoyed by the majority.

We took a tour with Back to Nature Tours (http://www.backtonaturetours.co.nz) in February last year and highly recommend this tour:). It gives you the option of visiting the Albatross Colony. We chose the tour and it was great! There were 4 people on the tour who didn't and stayed with Chris our guide - they managed to see the birds in flight.

The tour includes a visit to Penguin Place, Larnach Castle (gardens), city tour and a birdwatching section. The Otago Peninsula is stunning and it's wildlife can be unpredictable. I recommend you contact a local operator and ask their honest opinion, this is what we did before we left and we were not dissapointed. I think it is important to realise that there are no guarantees when it comes to nature!!!!

We went on a tour with Elm Wildlife tours which was excellent. It included teh Albatross colony, and to a private beach to view penguins and seals. If you have the time, this is they best option for viewing wildlife in this area. Here is the albatross colony website. Email them for information. I believe they would be open.

As for the boat tours, this was an option with the Elm Wildlife tours, and we were to take a boat cruise on the Monarch, but due to winds making for rough water, that option was cancelled. Instead, we were taken to the albatross colony and viewed the albatross flying from the cliff next to the albatross center. Had we taken the boat, we would have seen the same but from the water level. I think we were fine doing without the monach boat cruise.

Anyhow, I urge you to look up elm wildlife tours, and hope you can book a tour with them, you'll never regret it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We just returned from The Sapphire Princess from Auckland to Sydney 2/14 cruise and I must agree that the Elm Wildlife tour was the best!! We were lucky and had Brian, one of the owners as our tour guide and there were 4 of us in a 4 wheel drive and it was the highlight of our trip! We were on the beach with Sea Lions, saw baby penquin chicks, watched the penquins come out of the sea to feed the chicks, saw seal pups in the natural sea pools by the beach...fantastic trip!! We watched 2 baby chick penquins and a sheep together just looking at each other, which was very funny. Brian did everything to help us view and enjoy the wildlife of the area! Fantastic...fantastic!! We went to the Albatross colony and learned about the albatross but they are kind of far away and hard to view.

As it is a private tour, you decide what to see and he adds what should be seen. On the way we did go up and down the steepest street (according to the Guinness) in the world, also got a quick view of the gardens at the Larnach Castle.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned and used Arthur's Tours...saw penguin place, royal albatross center, Lanarch Castle and had a driving tour of the city including the steepest street (driven up and down). We knew in advance that lunch was not included but had time for a light lunch at reasonable prices at the Albatross Center's lunch room. Thought it was a lovely day that did everything promised to us.

Archived