Alaska in MAY

racepoint

HELP, Please!! I need some testimonials from past Alaska-in-May cruisers. My story is that I currently have a 7-day Alaskan cruise reserved for mid-July on NCL Star (deposit made, but final payment isn't due for several months.) This is our "20th Anniversary Cruise." We're leaving the kids (teens) at home. It just dawned on me that the biggest obstacle (leaving the kids at home during summer vacation with we're-not-sure-who-yet??) would be minimalized by taking our trip while they're still in school. (Grandparents could handle that.) Hmmmm??? I've discovered that I can get the cruise (same ship/better category cabin) and airfare for more than $1,000 less than we'd pay in July. Seems like a win-win situation, BUT I'm starting to wonder about cruising to Alaska in May. PLUS SIDE: Cheaper cruise fare, cheaper air far, cheaper hotel fare, less kids on board, PLUS my kids will be "occupied/busy" (with school) while we're away and it will be easier on the grandparents. MINUS SIDE: Weather is cooler??? Or is it downright nasty? I've heard there's less wildlife to view ... OR, what should I know about cruising ALaska in May????

You could get lucky, too -- I remember pulling in to Juneau on May 8th once, and it was 80 degrees! We were the only ship in town and had the run of the joint.

Downside to that early in the season is that the animal life isn't as easy to spot - but you'll still see lots o lots o seals if you cruise to the glaciers, and again, you never know what else.

I took my first cruise to Alaska this past May from 5/12 - 5/19. I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful cruise it was. We cruised out of Seattle and back. We only saw "moderate drizzle" as we cruised the Tracy Arm Fjord. When we visited Ketchikan, I wore my sandals and only a sweatshirt on a beautiful sunny day. In Juneau and Skagway, weather was sunny but only in the 50's. Of course there is no guarantee when it comes to weather. As for wildlife, we saw so many whales, eagles, a couple of bears and all sorts of other birds. We took the train in Skagway and could not go all the way to Carcross due to the heavy snow still in the mountains but that snow made for some incredible scenery the higher up the mountain we went.

I would book another cruise in May in a heart beat but will probably look to go a little later (end of May / early June) so I can get further into the Bays or Fjords as well as into Canada over the mountains. I also look forward to seeing more in bloom such as all the wildflowers.....as we were just a tad early.

The other benefit to an early cruise is there were less ships in ports and therefore less crowded on the streets of each port.

I don't think you would be disappointed. From what I have been told, every couple of weeks there is a different "look" to Alaska so you just have to go back again....and again.....something I can't wait to do!:D :)

Well, I'm going in June and from what I have been reading, the weather in the central to southern areas seem to be pretty close in June, July, August and about 5 degrees lower in May. Interior during those months is warmer. Now May does seem to be cooler all around, but I have read that May is when you see more wildlife because the mom's are just bringing out their new little ones from being born a couple of months earlier. Even if you do go when you think the weather is going to be better, Mother Nature can always throw in her influence at any time. I think it's just a hit or miss game at most, but everyone seems to make the best of it and loves doing it!

We took NCL Pearl last May 20-27 and had great weather for the most part. Of course it rained in Ketchikan-that was expected and it was cold in Glacier Bay-again, expected. We saw tons of wildlife. We even saw a black bear on the side of the road outside of Skagway. I know what it's like to have kids that age and I agree that you'll probably be more relaxed and have a better time knowing the kids are in school most of the day and would have grandparents supervision when they're not. I would be very comfortable with that, plus you're saving money:) Also, keep in mind that you could encounter bad weather ANY time in Alaska. Have fun!

Sailed week of 21 May 2006 from Seward south to Vancouver. Weather was in the 60s generally; was coldest first morning in College Fjord. No rain entire cruise; cloudy only one day in Glacier Bay. Animal life seen everywhere we went. Whales and bears in Glacier Bay. Also saw a bear eating on the roadside outside of Skagway. Lots of eagles in Juneau both in flight and by a stream, etc. I would do Alaska in May again recognizing that weather and animal life are unpredictable no matter when or where you go. Enjoy the cruise no matter when you go.

Hi,

We did Alaska in May 2004 on the Sun, and loved it! The weather was perfectly fine, if a bit chilly - the big advantage of that, though, is that the pool deck outdoors was virtually abandoned while we were underway, so we were always able to score pool-side lounge chairs. Just covered ourselves in a couple of swim towels, and sat reading in the sun for hours. There was also only a few people using the hot tubs at any time!

Another thing is that the mountains will still be covered in snow, so the scenerey will be absolutely spectacular!

I'd say to go for it. Take the trip in May, and book yourself a second trip with the extra money :)

We were on the same sailing as lovesublime and had better weather than we did on our first Alaskan cruise, which was the 2nd week in June. If you ask the Alaskan experts on the Alaska board (thinking of Yukon and Budget Queen in particular) they will normally recommend waiting until after 5/20 if you want to go in May.

Weather for an Alaska cruise is always 'iffy.' We did a 12-day to Alaska on Dream on May 19, 2005, and the weather was excellent. One shower. We swam in the ship's pool in Juneau. Are the odds better for good weather in July? Sure. But anything can happen in Alaska, so take advantage of the better May pricing and the situation for your children.

We cruised on Princess at the end of May. May 26th I think (it was my birthday) LOL. The captain commented every day how great our weather was. It ranged from about 60-70 degrees. No rain. We took the chance and all was well. Good luck with your decision!!!!!

We have done cruises at the end of May and loved them. I would pick May over June for three reasons:

1) You get to see more snow

2) Way less kids onboard

3) Rates are lower

I would also strongly suggest visiting the PORTS OF CALL message boards and click on Alaska.

We took a May cruise a few years ago during the last week of May. It was great. We had days that were very comfortable, one that was cold ( going up into Glacier Bay), and one where it rained very hard (Ketchikan).

It didn't matter. Alaska is about the scenery. We just sat at a window almost all week with our jaws dropped! Ye, we saw a bear, eagles, seals, and mountain goats but no whales. We took the Skagway train and it was terrific(ordered tix online)- a little snow at the top- hey- it's Alaska. We also went to the Mendanhall Glacier in Juneau, which you can get to very inexpensively by taking the "blue" city bus- no need for a tour since it is a national park and has a visitor's center.

Go for it!

We went to Alaska on NCL Star two years ago the last week in May. We had a wonderful trip with only rain in Ketchikan. We decided that the trip was so great, we are going again May 25, 2008, but this time on Pearl.

We wanted to go to Glacier Bay again, so the choice was easy. I am hoping that once again we have great weather. We loved the train trip from Skagway. Such beautiful scenery with the snow on the mountains and also along the water.

Living in Fl now, so the snow looks beautiful to us. When we lived upstate NY, it wasn't quite as beautiful as it is to us now, lol.

Enjoy, and please go in May. It's worth every penny and you can use the extra money for something else.

We live in Vancouver and have cruised Alaska twice in May.

The weather during both cruises was just fine - we had a very hot day in Skagway, it always rains in Ketchikan, but we had one trip that gave us beautiful weather there. May is often Vancouver's best month - if you leave from Seattle, there weather is similar.

The weather is variable in Alaska throughout the May - September season, you could just as easily get pouring rain in August.

I would say given the lower cost, smaller crowds and fewer kids on board, May is one of the best times to go.

I was in Alaska on May 20, 2007 and had the best time! We were so lucky to sunny days in the 60's. We had some drizzles on the last day in Ketchican. It seems to always rain there.

I would definately go back in May. If you can get a balcony. The view is breathtaking. We would just sit out and watch the beauty pass us by. Took tons of photos. It was a trip of a lifetime.

Have a great trip!

Too funny!! You've got me guessing, Trurocruiser. Yes, we leave our camper at Sonny's. Any clue as to how you know that??? Do I know you??? Do tell. And thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. The more I look at this, switching my cruise from July to May appears to be a win-win situation. We're looking at the May 10th cruise on Star, which, I believe, would have our final payment due, like, immediately. NOW, the next complication is . . . how difficult is it to switch our current deposit ($500.00 with an online agency) from a July cruise date to the May 10th cruise date - same ship? What I'm really in a quandary about is the insurance that I bought. When I put the deposit down on the July cruise, the website asked if I wanted insurance and I checked "yes." This was last October, and I was surrpised that my credit card was immediately billed for the full amount of the "cancellation" insurance, as they called it ($154.00). Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that I don't NEED cancellation insurance, or any insurance, until after final payment is made . . . which isn't even due until April 27th. I understood that I can back out for whatever reason, prior to final payment, and lose no more than my deposit (or a portion thereof.) Do I have a chance of having the insurance coverage transferred to the "new" cruise date in May? :cool:

Too funny!! You've got me guessing, Trurocruiser. Yes, we leave our camper at Sonny's. Any clue as to how you know that??? Do I know you??? Do tell. And thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. The more I look at this, switching my cruise from July to May appears to be a win-win situation. We're looking at the May 10th cruise on Star, which, I believe, would have our final payment due, like, immediately. NOW, the next complication is . . . how difficult is it to switch our current deposit ($500.00 with an online agency) from a July cruise date to the May 10th cruise date - same ship? What I'm really in a quandary about is the insurance that I bought. When I put the deposit down on the July cruise, the website asked if I wanted insurance and I checked "yes." This was last October, and I was surrpised that my credit card was immediately billed for the full amount of the "cancellation" insurance, as they called it ($154.00). Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that I don't NEED cancellation insurance, or any insurance, until after final payment is made . . . which isn't even due until April 27th. I understood that I can back out for whatever reason, prior to final payment, and lose no more than my deposit (or a portion thereof.) Do I have a chance of having the insurance coverage transferred to the "new" cruise date in May? :cool:

We're looking at the May 10th cruise on Star, which, I believe, would have our final payment due, like, immediately. NOW, the next complication is . . . how difficult is it to switch our current deposit ($500.00 with an online agency) from a July cruise date to the May 10th cruise date - same ship? Do I have a chance of having the insurance coverage transferred to the "new" cruise date in May? :cool:
The 5/11/08 itinerary on the Sun R/T Vancouver is a far superior trip IMO ;) j/k

As far as the insurance issue, you will need to direct that question to whomever booked the trip on your behalf. Since you will need to call them anyway to change your plans it's not much of an effort. The TA you used may have cancelation or change fees (even if NCL does not). If your TA is not helpful, you may need to ask for a supervisor. Whatever you do, speak with someone on the phone and be sure to get e-mail confirmations of ALL changes made.

After all is said and done, it may not be cheaper to go in May after all. But you need to call and find out what the damage is going to be.

Good luck!

Racepoint, I must be a brillant :rolleyes: detective! Actually, I don't think we know each other, but you had mentioned in a prior post leaving your camper in Truro...we know Sonny parks quite a few campers there. My sister-in-law owns Dutra's Market. Looks like you'll be sailing the week before us; who knows, we may pass each other at the pier!:D

Archived