Smoking on Qm2/Queen Victoria

docker66

That splains the cuts in the netting over the 8 deck pool ... :rolleyes: :D

No. No cutting. They didn't put netting over the pools! But it splains the crew members working outside wondering why they let crazy people onboard their lovely ship. :p

The bucket on me head opened new doors for me .... :D

So the crew will tolerate people like us. ;)

Welcome to Club Vice! :p

Did any of you swim after hours, btw? One night I swear we could have surfed there were such swells in the pool. Ahh, the life at sea!

Smoking in corridoors, is this a non smoking area, I for one who see's any one smoking near me, when its non smoking will get what they deserve....:mad: i am in recovery from cancer (non smoke related) but know people who are....

For peopel who state we dont complain about the drinking etc need to put this into perspective....smoke gets into peoples clothes, throat's etc...i dont pour alcohol onto your clothes or into your mouth....simple

Brian

Here here having just watched my mother die from skin cancer (not smoking related) I do not want to be at any risk of lung cancer from others smoking . I think that there should be no smoking in cabins and balconies. Nothing worse than going into a cabin that smells of stale smoke or sitting on your balcony inhaling someone next doors smoke.

Regardless of your feelings about smoking (disclosure- I am an ex-smoker, who was heavily addicted and has lung disease and measurable damage from smoking) it is understandable why cruise lines would want to ban smoking from balconies. (for that matter from cabins!) It was a cigarette that started the horrendous fire on the Princess ship (was it last year or year before?) They also refitted balconies with sprinklers, instituted a watch from the bridge trained on the balconies (so be careful what you do leaning over! <LOL>) and, where possible, changed the constitution of some materials on balconies. And, of course, one of the most common fire dangers is people falling asleep with a cigarette. Since people are more likely to have been drinking on a cruise ship (not having to be at work the next morning or drive home) they are more likely to find themselves unaccustomedly sleepy. It's surprising more don't restrict in-room and balcony smoking. Especially since they have to deal with cleaning costs and time and the next guests to occupy the cabin.

Still, in this day and age, it is easy enough to create air handling equipment (especially on new builds) adequate to allow smokers and non-smokers to share space. As sensitive as I can be to smoke, I have been in a large sports bar, packed with people smoking, where I did not feel the least bit uncomfortable. (Before they banned it completely in buildings- a great relief to many a barkeep and bar singer!) I do sympathize with smokers. Many say it is a harder addiction to break than heroine or even alcohol cravings for the alcohol. (I know my ex- an alcoholic, was able to quit drink, but not cigarettes) and of course, it is in the tobacco industry's best interest to keep you as hooked as possible, since their customers are a dying breed (so to speak!)

Karie <kaff, kaff> <LOL>

P.S. Shame on you Vic! Bad boy! Naughty! We'll discuss your punishment later! <G>)

Angela,

My take on smoking is this. It is a bad habit that has no real redeeming features, has a nasty habit of causing clothes to smell and (most seriously) kills.

Having said that, I'm not going to be precious about it. A lot of people smoke, and a lot of those are people that I would like to spend time with. Providing that the smell isn't too bad, I can live with it.

Live and let live is a good motto.

Equally, there seems no doubt that if tobacco were to have been discoved today, it would be banned.

I find rabid anti-smokers can be more tiresome than smokers..... And a lot of smokers are exceptionally considerate to non-smokers.....

Matthew

Angela,

My take on smoking is this. It is a bad habit that has no real redeeming features, has a nasty habit of causing clothes to smell and (most seriously) kills.

Having said that, I'm not going to be precious about it. A lot of people smoke, and a lot of those are people that I would like to spend time with. Providing that the smell isn't too bad, I can live with it.

Equally, there seems no doubt that if tobacco were to have been discoved today, it would be banned.

I find rabid anti-smokers can be more tiresome than smokers..... And a lot of smokers are exceptionally considerate to non-smokers.....

Matthew

Matthew,

I like to make smoking comments just to poke at the rabid anti-smokers, because they tend to be so tedious and pious. Oh, if we were all so pure and holy and without flaw.

I don't even smoke that much any more. And I will suffer and do without rather than be inconsiderate to polite non-smokers.

There have been stories I've heard more than a few times about some non-smokers, after all the bans were enacted and the smokers had to go outside, would pretend to smoke just so they could hang out with the cool people. I find I like having to go outside, just for the fresh air. And the peace and quiet.

Matthew

Thats the majority of us then !!!! :eek: :D

Gav :cool: (the rabid anti-smoker icon) :rolleyes:

Angela,

Quite right Matthew,But having said that it is nice to work now in a non smoking enviroment. Im also a non smoker.... But have been known to enjoy the odd fag or two:eek:

Cheers

Myles

Archived