anyone been to domimica ?

emily rose

I will be in domimica in april I was woundering what was in walking distance and how safe and friendly is this port. I am not interested in a 4-5 hr. tour.We will be travelling with seniors who cannot swim. Any suggestion ?

What a beautiful port, we were there a few years ago, people are very friendly, if you could take a tour up in forest area it would be well worth it. Enjoy.

We were in Dominica a few years ago not knowing what we were going to do. We were met by many, many, many "tour guides" and decided to see the island that route. We set on a price up front (can't remember what) and the very nice elderly gentleman took us all over the island. There was one stop where the tour guide had a young boy take us hiking to see a water fall and we swam in the pool below the falls. Very beautiful. We tipped the boy and then got back in the van and away we went. It was a great way to see the island and everyone we encountered was very, very nice. The guide did tell us that the people there were very poor but they didn't want their island to get overwhelmed with visitors.

We were in Dominica a few years ago not knowing what we were going to do. We were met by many, many, many "tour guides" and decided to see the island that route. We set on a price up front (can't remember what) and the very nice elderly gentleman took us all over the island. There was one stop where the tour guide had a young boy take us hiking to see a water fall and we swam in the pool below the falls. Very beautiful. We tipped the boy and then got back in the van and away we went. It was a great way to see the island and everyone we encountered was very, very nice. The guide did tell us that the people there were very poor but they didn't want their island to get overwhelmed with visitors.

WE were there this Dec. You walk across a bridge to the pier where it is mentioned people willing to take you on tours. We went on a cooking tour up in the mts. arranged by the ship. There are some stores along the street as well as open stands with island goods. There are several small eating places and a hotel. Some of our friends walked to see the beautiful churches.

WE were there this Dec. You walk across a bridge to the pier where it is mentioned people willing to take you on tours. We went on a cooking tour up in the mts. arranged by the ship. There are some stores along the street as well as open stands with island goods. There are several small eating places and a hotel. Some of our friends walked to see the beautiful churches.

sometimes the ships dock at a different pier, a considerable walk to downtown, in an industrial area with a very large warehouse where the locals set up stalls to sell. There are tour vans there, also.

The island is beautiful...take a short tour.

Are there any tour companies you would recommend .If I decide to go that route and do the tours start as early as the ship docks ?We are docking at 7am and if I could do a tour in morning and a walkabout after lunch would be great

If your ship docks at the pier shown, then we did see shuttles out there early . Our tour did not start until 10 or so, but did see people leaving the ship around 8:30-9:00a. There are some websites for Dominica that were helpful. I can not recommend any tour companies because we used the ship's excursion.

Are there any tour companies you would recommend .If I decide to go that route and do the tours start as early as the ship docks ?We are docking at 7am and if I could do a tour in morning and a walkabout after lunch would be great

Not sure if you checked, but along with any information you get here, you may want to check the ports of call board for Dominica.

I haven't been to Dominica yet, but DW and I will be there in March as one of our stops while aboard the Emerald.

We were just in Dominica for the third time a couple weeks ago. For the first time, we docked at the second pier away from town. We walked into town but I wouldn't recommend it for most. I think it took us half an hour. It was uneven in places and no sidewalk in areas and cars were wizzing by us. We were told by a local that it was not a nice neighborhood. She said we wouldn't be harmed but to hold on tight to our belongings! She also said there had been talk of a shuttle to bring the cruise passengers into town but it didn't look like that was going to happen.

Dominica is one of the most beautiful islands! You really must take a tour of the island and not just of the area around the ship.

Dominica is a beautiful Island and well worth seeing via a tour. When you get off the ship there are plenty of drivers looking for business. As said before there is petty theft at times but we have never been bothered. Be aware of your surroundings and leave the fancy jewelry on board.

Hi Emily Rose,

My husband and I and another couple were in Dominica last year. Before we cruised, we booked a tour with Beno, and I recommend him to you. :) He is a very nice man with an immaculate van, knowledgeable, courteous, will take you anywhere you want to go. Dominica is beautiful, no way to see it on your own. We went to Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Pool, drove through the rainforest, stopped at a roadside stand for absolutely delicious native fruit, and had loads of time afterwards to stroll around Roseau, where the Sea Princess was docked. You can contact Beno at benox265@hotmail.com and he will tailor his tour to your wishes. It would be a shame to be in Dominica and not see it--just a gorgeous island. Have a great cruise!

GG

Archived