Food Allergies and Excursions

NeedstoCruise

My son is allergic to tree nuts. I am confident that on the ship, this will not be a problem...my concern is when we are in port. We are going on western caribbean itinerary, Does anyone know if Mexican foods tend to use tree nuts or if there are certain foods we should be on the lookout to avoid? Thanks.

How often to you plan to eat meals off the ship? and in which ports? are you booking excursions that include a meal?

You will need to be careful in Mexico because they do use pine nuts, almonds, and other seeds in quite a few dishes. Just explain the problem wherever you are going and you should be fine. I doubt you'll be in any locale where English is not spoken and well-understood. Enjoy your trip!

TinaLee

Thanks for the response. We will be in Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel and Progresso. We are planning the cave tubing in Belize and probably Dzib.ruins from Progresso, not sure of food there yet. In Costa Maya and Cozumel, most likely on our own, maybe the beach or something so you can see we are wide open regarding lunches. I will be sure to ask about the nut situation, do you think it would be smart to print out in spanish my concern or are they VERY fluent in english ? Any dishes in particular that I should be aware of???

Cozumel, no problems whatsoever with the language barrier. My daughter did the tube trip in Belize and she said food was part of that excursion. They stopped somewhere and ate in a tiny town, with "authentic Mexican" - lol - food. I think you'd probably be best off having it printed out in Spanish, that is actually an excellent idea. Costa Maya, I wouldn't plan on eating in town, although I heard there was a pretty good little seafood place just across the street from the beach. The 'panhandlers' were the worst in Costa Maya that I have ever seen ANYWHERE! Even if you were lying on the beach, eyes closed, they would jiggle you... adults, children... it was a never-ending parade! We finally gave up and went back to the ship! They'll probably do a box lunch on the ruins trip, since that is an all day excursion (and a back-wrenching bus ride - be prepared). Daughter reminded me that they also use pistachios in a lot of sauces, which I had forgotten about. I can't think of one specific food you should avoid like the plague, and most of them a child would never order anyway. I think you'll be okay with the standard fare of taco or chalupa or burrito. And they have awesome gaucamole if he likes that and can eat it... is avocado a nut? :confused: Wish I could give you more specific info.

Again, I think your idea of having your concern printed up in Spanish is an excellent one!

TinaLee

I ditto the idea of printing your concern in Spanish. Great idea! I think if you stick with the tacos and burritos, your son wouldn't have a problem. However, if you really want to stay on the safest side, I'd have room service deliver (the night before) a roast beef sandwich (or something similiar) that you could put on ice and take ashore for your son...? I had to do that once for an elderly friend who was afraid of any island food.;) This is where the heavy ziploc freezer baggies come in handy. Put the sandwich in it, put ice in a larger ziploc bag, and put that sandwich bag in it....and stick it down in your tote bag. Voila! Safe food for son!:)

There will be no language problem in Belize. English is the official language as the country used to be called British Honduras. It was a British colony.

However for the mexican portion of your trip I would take a spanish translation.

mcboo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My son is also allergic to nuts, but he is also allergic to eggs & all fish, the egg allergy is hardest to watch. Our strategy is to fill him up with food before we leave, and bring some snacks with us that he can eat. Your usually not on an excursion for more than a couple of hours, anyways. Off ship we would limit him to burgers or grilled chicken. Have fun, he's 7 and going on his 5th cruise.

Harvey

Take a small, insulated lunch bag with you and a gel pak to freeze. Any food you can get on the ship can be used this way off the ship. Why take chances with food on shore. As for eggs, etc. Just be sure to order his food plain. Steaks-no sauces, etc. Good luck

Archived