Mexican Passenger aTax

Cruisin Sal

Yesterday we received confirmation of our Mexican cruise for 09. It states that effective 7/1/08 all cruise lines will collect a new Mexican government tax of $5.00 per Mexican port. Our TA also confirmed that our 08 Mexican cruise has also had the tax added.

Since I have a mex. Riviera Cruise this coming Oct. I went in and checked the princess site and there it was, an additional tax of $20.00pp for the Mex. ports. We have 4 of them so $5.00 a piece for each port.

Marilyn

Since I have a mex. Riviera Cruise this coming Oct. I went in and checked the princess site and there it was, an additional tax of $20.00pp for the Mex. ports. We have 4 of them so $5.00 a piece for each port.

Marilyn

Where did you see this. I could not find it.

Rick

Marilyn

Where did you see this? I could not find it.

Rick

Tucson, it will not say on a separate line that it is a Mex. fee. We will be sailing on the Star to the Mex. riviera and I have my invoice from my TA and the taxes are $20.00 less than on the Princess site, so they have already increased them. I just went in to the "find a cruise" section and put in Mex. riviera for next oct. on the Star and it shows all of the gov. taxes, etc. It is a $20.00 difference. 4 ports and each is $5.00.

Marilyn

I cannot believe they keep adding tax and surcharges on cruises already booked. We did pay the Alaska tax, quite begrudingly, last year. We are booked for the Mexican Riviera --- leave in two weeks --- so won't be subject to the Mexico tax and going again in Sept. We are not paying the fuel surcharge for the Sept cruise as it is with norwegian and if you booked ahead of time, they are not adding the surcharge. However, guess we will be paying for the Mexico tax. What next, though?? Guess it is the same for hotels with their resort fee!!

This is what it will come down to --- the cruise will only be $20 per day per person --- the fees, taxes, surcharges, etc will be an additional $200 a day pp. WOW!! It is all about marketing, isn't it??? ha!

Tucson, it will not say on a separate line that it is a Mex. fee. We will be sailing on the Star to the Mex. riviera and I have my invoice from my TA and the taxes are $20.00 less than on the Princess site, so they have already increased them. I just went in to the "find a cruise" section and put in Mex. riviera for next oct. on the Star and it shows all of the gov. taxes, etc. It is a $20.00 difference. 4 ports and each is $5.00.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn. I never would have figured that out. I don't have a breakdown from my TA, just a lump sum. I guess I'll be hearing from them soon!

Rick

Does anyone know the mechanics of how this is paid and to whom? Is it paid to the city or to the federal government? I'm interested in the corruption factor. Thanks

Federal. But why worry about it? You have no control over it except not go to Mexico on a cruise.

This law was passed last year. It was already discussed on this boards.

It is aimed at the Cruise Industry. They already have an airport tax. This airport tax has been on the books for over 20 years. I am not sure about today. But back then you would have to pay for that airport tax in cash before boarding the plane.

Here is an article I found about the Cruise Tax.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-7081620/CONGRESS-PROPOSES-NEW-TAX-ON.html

Another one:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/cruise/news/5405357.html

Archived