Ruins or site near Rome cruise terminal

One of our stops on our Crystal Serenity voyage in June is Rome. We have been several times most recently 2 years ago. Even though we love Rome we would rather see something else. Two years ago one of the guides we hired tried to interest us in going to the "port" to see some very impressive ruins etc. It was about an hour from central Rome. I dont remember exactly what he was referring to. But now that I am looking for a diversion other than central Rome I cant figure out where this place is. Does this sound familiar to anyone or does anyone know of a day trip we can do when we dock in Rome?

We are staying in Civitavecchia port-cruise and one og the main reasons is we want to explore Tarquinia and the Etruscian tombs. It is 12km from Civitavecchia and the bus from town is 1E. If you go to the city of Civitavecchia website or google Tarquinia there is alot of info.

I can't find the Civ website--but I liked it from the Hotel Traiano website.

I believe the ruins your guide was referring to was Ostia Antica. We planned to go there last February when we were in rome. But i got sick and couldn't go. Maybe next time on our cruise in September. it's supposed to be lovely. It's not in Civitavecchia though. It's south somewhat. I haven't figured out how to get there from Civitavecchia. It's a straight train ride from Rome though. Maybe someone knows.

OK, Rome, been there seen that ...good for you...Tarquinia - start all over again for understanding Ancient Rome...If you are interested in pre-Roman history...do it. Ostia, a port south of Rome, more or less... I still have to get there. At Civitavecchia...not all that much if one has already seen what Rome offers.

Archived