Money Matters

janetz

I have a young adult (19) traveling with a group to Australia and New Zealand in July for 3 weeks. She does not have a charge card or a debit (ATM) card. What is the best way for her to have money access? Prepaid CC card? If so, is there a fee to use it at am ATM? Should she take the CC card and then some cash to covert? Thanks for any help you can give. :)

I would say both. I gather you will be helping to fund this, so a CC with a limit, plus an ATM card linked to her/your account. Whenever we travel we use ATMs, you get the best exchange rate.

Check with a few banks to find out their fees for using overseas ATMs. There are fees no matter which method you use - credit card, ATM, travellers cheques, currency exchange.

I don't think traveller's cheques would be convenient for her because only major stores will take them (I think). They're just not used much these days and currency exchange booths are rip offs.

You seem to have some different banking processes in the USA so I don't know whether you can do this but I don't see why not. I have a Visa credit card that is also linked to my account. Therefore I can use it as a credit card or debit card or use it at an ATM to withdraw cash (from my A/C not a cash advance).

You might need to start another thread about that. I am clueless.

lol :) It is amazing what you can find on the web. I did a search for cell phones in Australia and she can rent one that has an Australian chip. :) or something like that.

I would not recommend the pre paid credit card. I have used them in Euorpe without a problem. I just got back from Australia in January and I had pre paid visa card. It was delinced almost everywhere. I could only use it once. I had other credit cards and a debt visa to my checking account. When I got home I asked about the pre paid card and I was told it "should have worked" I have been able to use it here in the US, but I would not take one to Aus.

I would not recommend the pre paid credit card. I have used them in Euorpe without a problem. I just got back from Australia in January and I had pre paid visa card. It was delinced almost everywhere. I could only use it once. I had other credit cards and a debt visa to my checking account. When I got home I asked about the pre paid card and I was told it "should have worked" I have been able to use it here in the US, but I would not take one to Aus.

Thank you for the heads up. :)

Archived