Why go to the Mexican Riviera?

ute_fan

We're thinking about doing a cruise to the Mexican Riviera sometime in 2006, but I need some real basic information. If anybody can share their insight, it would be appreciated.

1 -- what is there to do on these cruises? We've been to Western Caribbean -- really enjoyed the Mayan ruins, and to Alaska -- the scenery was great, and we enjoyed seeing the whales and other wildlife. I'm just having trouble trying to identify any shore excursions that appeal to us -- we don't drink and aren't really into the beach scene. Shopping holds limited appeal. What else is there to do?

2 -- when is the best time of year to go? I don't do real well in lots of heat or humidity. Haven't done enough research yet to identify when it might be cooler and less humid.

3 -- What cruise line would you suggest? Our 2 previous cruises were both on NCL. While I enjoy NCL, I would possibly consider a different line. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the other ships currently doing the Mexican Riviera?

4 -- Any other hints that would make planning this trip easier? The main reason we're considering it is that we live in Utah. A trip leaving out of San Diego or the LA area would enable us to drive rather than flying, and would help keep the cost down. Also, my DH has a cousin living in LA who might possibly consider joining us.

Thanks in advance ;)

Hi - We go to Mazatlan every year in November (stay at the Inn at Mazatlan) and we have a great time. For a day from a cruise ship I would think there is tons of things to do. Go to the big market downtown. It is amazing ! And if you can find a driver at the pier in a pulmonia (so fun !!) ask him to drive you around the city. The people of Mazatlan are extremely friendly and helpful. We always feel warm and welcomed from all that we meet ,from the firefighters we visit (my husband is a firefighter so of course we have to stop by the station) to the pulmonia drivers ... we have never had a bad experience either in the Golden Zone or downtown.

Utefan

Wow, tough question, You need to read these board some more. We have done this tour twice, four yrs ago with RCCL and last Feb with Carnival Pride. We have gone in February (valentine day) both times, my son was there in January and had more rain. We have done the three main ports as Frank said. We have taken the Sierra Madre tour in Mazatlan to get a glimpse of non tourist mexico, visit a small village. We have also gone horseback riding with lunch at Victors at Stone Island with Randi's Happy Horses. In Puerta Vallarta, we have taken a back country safari and beach bbq, with walk in rainforest, as well as city and area bus tour. In Cabo we have taken city tour and great whalewatching. There is more to do in each port than you can do on one visit. We will probably not go back until we try Caribbean and South America, but we enjoyed and as you said, we didn't need to book airfare. We also got to see San Diego Wild Animal Park.

Carnival, and RCCL have been doing this for a long time. HAL has 1 week and longer with different ports , but not a lot to do in some of them. Princess has the Diamond down there now I believe. Pick the size of ship you like and who has best time in ports.

We loved the Mexican Riviera so much we are doing it again next year. It just seemed more like "real" Mexico to us. The people were fantastic, and there is so much history and architecture. Lots of sights and sounds that are so different for us. We were on a repositioning cruise that took us from Acapulco to LA, this next cruise will be round trip from LA, it includes Acapulco but we will miss Mazatlan (darn-we loved Randi's there) I think Zihuatenejo was our favorite as it was not yet spoiled by Wal-Mart, Burger King, Hard Rock, etc.

We went the end of April and it was sunny and 85 every day-beautiful!

Both daughters are Spanish majors, they are anticipating getting to use the language as it should be spoken!! Although- everyone we ran into spoke English:)

Hello fellow cruisers,

Please come see my cruise photos on PhotoIsland.com!

To get there, simply click the address below and enter your guest password: 1111

http://www.photoisland.com/servlet/GuestLogin?USERNAME=hommebronze2

If that doesn't work, go to http://www.photoisland.com, and log in to my albums with the following information:

Log-in ID: hommebronze2

Guest Password: 1111

we were a little apprehensive at first - we've been to the caribbean 3 times and weren't sure we'd like this as well. But after this trip we've decided that we like mexico better. It is completely different. I think it's more festive than the caribbean. People are warm and friendly. And we love the food (and Pacifico's):D Both are great (what cruise isn't great????). But given the choice of both we'd be on the ship sailing to mexico.. :D

I have cruised both the Eastern and Western Caribbean and the Mexician Riviera and have liked them all. We are going on the Mexican Riviera for the fourth time this January. I have found the Western Caribbean to be a more water friendly area, crystal clear water so will stick to the Caribbean for snorkeling. Mexico is wonderful, so tropical, people are so friendly and so much to do. We try and do something different each time and still we feel we have only touched the surface of each of the main ports Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarte. The more I read these boards and other sites the more I learn how much there truly is to see. I love Cabo, I have gotten so many wonderful blankets there, deep sea fishing was a great experience, Los Arches and hopefully this time seeing the whales. Mazatlan is also great so much history, wonderful cathedrals, open markets and great beaches. This trip I am going with Randi's Happy Horses. Puerto Vallarte is also tropical, beaches are great, great buys on hand made pottery and jewelry. You will find Mexico different from the Caribbean both with their own unique cultures but you won't know until you try them both. Go and enjoy.

Archived