New Reservation

couchking

Hi,

I'm looking into making a reservation for August. The price on the discount web sites like ***** are the same as reserving directly with Celebrity.

Is there an advantage to go either way.

Thanks

PRO Travel Agent (TA):

TAs should be able to provide advice as to which cruise would best suit you, and to which cabin would best meet your needs.

SOME TAs will give you advantages in the form of pre-paid gratutities, on-board credits, or wine, etc.

SOME TAs will carefully monitor the price and handle the request for lower price if one appears.

TAs SHOULD intercede on your behalf if there is a problem

CON:

SOME TAs will charge you for their time & effort if you cancel, even though it is before final payment [no charge by Celebrity if you cancel before final payment]. I have no problem with these charges PROVIDED they are spelled out up-front, since they have done work for you.

SOME TAs have limited hours and/or are slow to get back to you.

Celebrity will not discuss your reservation directly with you if a TA is involved.

Personally I book direct with cruise line since I'm a rather hands-on person, and tend to know what I want. I can transfer the booking to a TA of my choice anytime up until Final Payment [if they make it worth my while]. Note that it against Cruise Critic rules to discuss specific TAs on these boards.

Celebrity is a line that doesn't offer discounts to a TA. Some lines do if the TA is a heavy hitter for their cruise sales.

I use a TA because she gives me "courtesy discounts" for being a regular customer. She will also keep an eye on the fares, and immediately inform us if there's anything changing. She can also pass on ship board credits which she is sometimes offered from her broker or the cruise lines.

But if you don't have a regular agent for your traveling, not just cruises, imo it really doesn't matter if you book thru their site or a TA.....IF you know what you're doing and what you want.

Archived