Glass Bottom Boat vs. "Semi-Sub"

southwestgal

Hi all,

We'll be in Aruba on April 2nd (Wednesday) from noon to 7:00 p.m. We were thinking of doing either the glass bottom boat or the semi-sub and then walking around town and enjoying the sights of Oranjestad (sp?).

Anybody have any insights on the glass bottom boat vs. the semi-sub? Mobility is not an issue - I just want to be able to see the fish and wreck. Both of these activities end by 4pm so that would leave us a couple of hours to check out town.

Any thoughts on my plan of doing a walking tour of Oranjestad?

We already live in a desert so we don't need to see cactus, etc. We've got plenty of that :)

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Southwestgal

• 2 months later...

We actually ended up doing the Master Blaster. It was exactly as billed - a total blast!

The Master Blaster consisted of a specially designed boat (from South Africa) that has a catamaran hull with a hydrofoil. We booked through the ship (for only a couple of dollars more than going it alone) and for the price the boat met us at the ship's dock. We were introduced to the captain, Stan and his lovely wife. After some quick safety information we were off. We toured the north side of the island and saw all the ship wrecks, turtle hatching areas, beaches, etc. We also had some fun with the boat - hitting speeds of 60 mph and "jumping" the waves. It lasted for 90 minutes and it was so much fun. A full range of ages were on the boat. I think it held 15 and we had 9 on the boat. I highly recommend it. Stan was a great captain and guide - he knew so much about the island and really explained and pointed out a lot of fun information. Be prepared to get wet - not soaking but from the spray from the side of the boat. I was pretty dry by the time we got back. There is a place beneath everyone's seat to store a towel, camera, etc.

I highly recommend the Master Blaster! The semi-sub and glass bottom boat just seemed too boring after checking out the Master Blaster.

We also did our original plan of walking around town - but in the end it was just a bunch of shops. Pretty for a little while, but nothing that would hold your attention for more than an hour or so. Palm Beach was definitely hopping - a good place to go if you want a lot of action, rent water toys, etc. Eagle Beach was a lot more subdued. Best if you just want to relax. Watch out for the red/white police type barricades on the beaches. They are put around the turtle nesting areas.

Have fun with whatever you choose to do. Aruba is a nice island.

Archived