Gazzillion questions about excursions and tours

klgallo

I am hoping some of you can help

I am starting to get more detail into our trip and have a gazillion questions about excursions I hope you all can answer?

We are on the Coral Princess leaving June 9 from vancouver to Whittier. We went to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway about five years ago. We did the tram, sunset whale watch in Juneauand the helicopter and dog sled in Skagway.

This time we are going to extend our trip and spend three nights in Seward and three nights in Talkeetna and one night in Anchorage. This part of our trip we will be on our own but it is being arranged by Alaska Bound.

So here goes my questions:

(1) Is the toursaver worth while? What about the fact that Alaska Bound is booking us, can we still use it?

(2) Do we tender at any of the ports?

(3) Anyone been on the photo safari excursion in Juneau? Is it worth $185 per person?

(4) Anyone done the horsebacking trip in Skagway? We are intermediate horse riders--is this nose to tail going up and down a path with great views? Is there another excursion you would recommend?

(5) In Ketchikan we opted out of the flight tour in Misty Fjords due to our time in Seward. We are now scheduled for the Rainforest wildlife sanctuary. Anyone been on this one? Any other ideas?

(6) On June 18th, we are taking a float plane tour out of Seward to the Great Alaskan Bear Camp in Lake Clark National Park to see bears. Are we going to see bears around this time of year?

(7) We are booked for a flight tour of Mt. McKinley. Should we pay the extra expense of landing on the mountain?

(8) What else would you recommend for Talkeetna?

Thank you

Kathy

Since you have entrusted your interior plans to an Alaska agent- you need to run these interior questions by them. You need to determine if the Toursaver will be of use for you. Take a look at the offers, add up the costs- see if there is availablity and a savings for you. I doubt your TA is going to do this for you.

Why are you 3 days in Talkeetna??? That is a LOT of time there, and nothing I would ever book. Is a car rental an option for you???

The docking schedules aren't out yet, when they are look up your ship.

If the horseback riding is out of Skagway, this is more of a trail ride catering to inexperienced riders. The basis is scenery. Joni out of Carcross area gets rave reviews.

The rainforrest tour out of Ketchikan is so so at best. Don't count on any wildlife.

I will speculate that a charter out of Seward to Lake Clark is very costly??? I would think that you would have verified that this is in season for bear activity?

With your comment "pay extra to land on the mt." You are doing a circle view flight, not a summit. Again, only you can decide if you want to land.

This time we are going to extend our trip and spend three nights in Seward.

We really liked the short hike to Exit Glacier. I don't normally recommend breaking the rules but crossing the string and touching the face of the ice was a highlight of last years trip to Alaska (at least for me), If you were up to a longer hike, go on up the trail and access to the ice was better http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2045688440091393226nEVFLb

(3) Anyone been on the photo safari excursion in Juneau? Is it worth $185 per person?

Do a search of past post there was a lot of discussion about this tour last season.

(4) Anyone done the horsebacking trip in Skagway? We are intermediate horse riders--is this nose to tail going up and down a path with great views? Is there another excursion you would recommend?

Just the drive to Carcross / Emerald Lake was enough to keep our group in awe. A lady near Carcross (Joni) that offers horseback rides got a lot of really good reviews last year. We didn't go there but several of the regular posters gave reports. You might do a search if it is a primary objective of your trip. The drive pretty much tied for the best day along with the other 13 days we spent enjoying the Giant very beautiful State of Alaska.

(6) On June 18th, we are taking a float plane tour out of Seward to the Great Alaskan Bear Camp in Lake Clark National Park to see bears. Are we going to see bears around this time of year?

Float planes (many cost about $150 - $200) and any other scenic flights are great and well worth the expense (IMO) but at probably over $500.00 per person I would ask specific questions about seeing bears and other wildlife before taking a mid June bear watching. If the bears are not at the rivers catching salmon I would have a hard time justifying the extra cost.

Thank you for your replies.

We are renting a car at Whittier for a week. We chose Talkeetna as we thought it could give us a lot of options to go places with the car. Budget Queen do you have any ideas or should we rethink those three days?

Still up for horseback riding in Skagway. I am now considering the "Deadliest Catch" crab tour out of Ketchikan. Sounds interesting and different.

The bear camp is $1375 for a four hour excursion. The travel company said from the the "Soldotna Airport to fly via small plane to the Great Alaska Bear Camp. Fly across Cook Inlet and land on the beach at the foot of Mt. Redoubt where a guide from the camp will meet you. After a short course in bear etiquette, walk with the guide to the viewing area or viewing platform. There are often 20 or more bears in the meadow at this time of year including many sows with cubs." Apparently this isn't a salmon run feed place so the running of the salmon isn't necessary.

Is the summit flight worthwhile over the circle flight?

We are renting a car at Whittier for a week. We chose Talkeetna as we thought it could give us a lot of options to go places with the car. Budget Queen do you have any ideas or should we rethink those three days?

The bear camp is $1375 for a four hour excursion. The travel company said from the the "Soldotna Airport to fly via small plane to the Great Alaska Bear Camp. Fly across Cook Inlet and land on the beach at the foot of Mt. Redoubt where a guide from the camp will meet you. After a short course in bear etiquette, walk with the guide to the viewing area or viewing platform. There are often 20 or more bears in the meadow at this time of year including many sows with cubs." Apparently this isn't a salmon run feed place so the running of the salmon isn't necessary.

You have chosen not to include Denali park?? You would have time, if of interest, and no, especially with a car, no way would I spend 3 days in Talkeetna. Not sure what your "lot of options" is referring to?

In my opinion, yes the summit flights are definately a highlight.

You are staying in Seward and flying out of Soldotna??? They are 2 hours apart, I would think your booking agent would have you staying there??

You have chosen not to include Denali park?? You would have time, if of interest, and no, especially with a car, no way would I spend 3 days in Talkeetna. Not sure what your "lot of options" is referring to?

In my opinion, yes the summit flights are definately a highlight.

You are staying in Seward and flying out of Soldotna??? They are 2 hours apart, I would think your booking agent would have you staying there??

We chose Talkeetna as it has a private airport and we could get to other parts of Alaska from there. So we used it as a base as we are unsure as to what other parts of Alaska we would want to see that we could reach either by car or small plane.

We are spending three 1/2 days in Seward with a lot of planned excursions. Driving 2 hours one way didn't bother us as we are used to that as we are from California.

I did book with Joni. Their Yukon trailride sounds wonderful. Sounds much more exciting the cruise ships horseback riding rip. Thank you for the suggestion!!

Called Princess and was advised that there are no tenders on our June 9th cruise on the Coral.

Archived