Spa tips for the guys!

Wanted to pass this along as it seems that every cruise I go on, I always run into other guys around the ship who can't seem to find the time for the whole family to get ready for dinners at the same time..Happened to me too, I wanted to get ready, my wife was itching to get into the bathroom and my son needed his shower as well...So, couple of years back, I basically packed my little travel kit, grabbed my flip flops and scooted on up to the changeroom at the spa...Well, why I didn't think of this sooner, I have no idea...You get you steam, you get your sauna, shower as long as you'd like, take your time, my wife gets all the time she needs to get ready and I'm good to go.

We came off the Carnival Freedom last August that did the Med and I passed these words of wisdom to some other guys I would run into while jogging or playing basketball...Funny thing was, they started showing up later in the day with their little kits as well...Freedom's sauna and steam room was great, floor to ceiling windows that you could just lay or sit and watch the world go by...

So, most of you probably know this already but for those who don't, give it a try, cuts down on the stress of having everyone in the cabin trying to get ready at the same time and you can de-stress a little yourself...As well, you'll never get a better shave in your life by shaving in the steam room, thanks to Don from British Columbia who taught me that one...Dry razor, no cream...Natural sweat from the steam opens up every pore on your face and you're good to go...Little after shave after and bam! you look 10 years younger..

Looking forward to any other responses out there from guys that have been converted to not being yelled at for being in the cabin washroom for too long...Try this next cruise, you'll love it

Smooth sailing to you all

Newts

Hey Newts,

A few cruises ago I too started this practice. As a matter of fact, I work out in the A.M. and following a work-out, I use the facilities provided. Prior to dinner, I'll head off to the spa area with my bag of deodorant, after shave, etc. and have an enjoyable shower, steam, shave, and another shower and I'm good to go. My DW loves the idea. I've only done this on Celebrity's M-class ships (free razors and shave cream)= less to carry.

Happy cruising!

Barry

I have done this on most of my cruises but unfortuantely many cruise lines are now starting to charge for the spa areas.

I think that once you have paid your money then you should have the steam and sauna in the price along with the showers etc.

I agree it does let up the bathroom for the ladies and yes it is a way of relaxing.

They don't charge for the gym so why the steam and sauna.

Newts,

I see you were on the Galaxy what was the spa area like and did they charge??

Nothing to write home about, very basic...good size gym but the changeroom should have been a little bigger...More than 5 guys in the sauna and you're going to know each other a lot better when you get out...Steam room is unisex by the thalassotherapy pool...One thing, ladies, don't freak out if you walk into a unisex steam room and all us guys have is a towel on...Very accepted if you travel in Europe a lot but for the uninitiated who aren't used to sharing a good steam, relax, there's nothing for you to freak about

They did charge, $20 a day or $99 for the tenure of the cruise which I think was a little steep...We had elitie status with RCI so there was no problem, but they weren't too strict about asking anyone that went in to use changeroom...Just walk by like you know what you're doing and don't make any nervous eye contact or you're busted

Newts

Nothing to write home about, very basic...good size gym but the changeroom should have been a little bigger...More than 5 guys in the sauna and you're going to know each other a lot better when you get out...Steam room is unisex by the thalassotherapy pool...One thing, ladies, don't freak out if you walk into a unisex steam room and all us guys have is a towel on...Very accepted if you travel in Europe a lot but for the uninitiated who aren't used to sharing a good steam, relax, there's nothing for you to freak about

They did charge, $20 a day or $99 for the tenure of the cruise which I think was a little steep...We had elitie status with RCI so there was no problem, but they weren't too strict about asking anyone that went in to use changeroom...Just walk by like you know what you're doing and don't make any nervous eye contact or you're busted

Newts

I remember thinking that 99 dollars for the Specialty spa on Celebrity Summit was very steep for a 14 day cruise. But I regretted not doing it the second week. I mean it all depends on how much you would use the services. I like to go to the gym early in the morning every day before breakfast (it helps me justify the pigout sesssion :D ) and would have loved to use the facilities. They only had a dry sauna otherwise and I love the wet sauna feel after a good workout. And yes I agree, all you need is a few beers and the sauna could turn into party central :o I am sad that Royal Carribean won't have the Thallasotherapy pools, I LOVED that part of the Summit!

I TOTALLY agree about going to use the sauna/shower prior to dinner. It is a wonderful way to relax, sometimes meet some interesting guys, and generally take your time prior to dinner (and free up the stateroom cabin for others). I do this every single cruise. But, now that we're broadcasting it, it might lose it's significance as a private oasis:D In my experience, not many men know where the spa is on a ship, so it hasn't been that busy. I've only cruised with Holland America - their sauna/shower area is free and segregated by sexes but you pay to use the co-ed steamroom - go figure!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
One thing, ladies, don't freak out if you walk into a unisex steam room and all us guys have is a towel on...Very accepted if you travel in Europe a lot but for the uninitiated who aren't used to sharing a good steam, relax, there's nothing for you to freak about

Newts

You can't be European.. you've still got a towel on.. :eek:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
You can't be European.. you've still got a towel on.. :eek:

I know this is a old thread, but most women expect us guys to have shorts on in a co- ed saunia, not just a towel. But they can go in any way they choose.

Its the typical PRUDE AMERICAN way if thinking..It seems that when a guy goes in wearing a towel or small speedos etc, women automaticaly think we are trying to expose ourselves to them or have sexual thoughts.

Pretty sad I think.

They wont have a problem with me, I to scared to approach a woman in a CO ED saunia thinking she will get me in trouble. Mabie thats why Im still single..

• 1 month later...

Archived